One sick dog.....Bacca, my boy!

I agree with the Dr. Dodds advise. She was AWESOME with me, when I had some issues with my setter about 10 years ago. It can't hurt to give her a try.
 
Just an update.

I contacted Dr. Dodds and received a whole much of stuff to read. She was very responsive.

This is so hard. The vets will tell you that you earlier you spend the $5,000 in surgery the better the chances of full recovery.

Yet when you have a dog that is eating well and not showing any true signs of disease apart from bloodwork results, its pretty hard to decide to spend $5,000

I'm very frustrated and don't feel like I'm getting good advice.....the part about paying twice for ultrasoujds and bloodwork still pisses me off, but I think it was my own fault for not drilling down enough....
 
Glad you received a swift response. Hopefully there is a much better solution for restoring Bacca to a healthy place.
:fl:fl:hugs
 
That amount of money is really hard to swallow, especially when they are eating and drinking.

I pray things work out for Bacca. All positive thoughts coming your way.
 
Just an update.

I contacted Dr. Dodds and received a whole much of stuff to read. She was very responsive.

This is so hard. The vets will tell you that you earlier you spend the $5,000 in surgery the better the chances of full recovery.

Yet when you have a dog that is eating well and not showing any true signs of disease apart from bloodwork results, its pretty hard to decide to spend $5,000

I'm very frustrated and don't feel like I'm getting good advice.....the part about paying twice for ultrasoujds and bloodwork still pisses me off, but I think it was my own fault for not drilling down enough....

Curious to know what her advice was.
 
I'm still going through her responses. First blush, she didn't really tell me what I didn't already know.

In the meantime, I'm still dealing with Bacca's skin issues. He has lost all his undercoat in the trunk area. He looks like a Sheltie with a Lion poodle cut.

Finished the antibiotics and now just using the shampoo to control. Its getting moderately better, but along way from fixing. But it doesn't seem to bother him too much.

His meds are working. His last blood work was withing range. So I don't understand why he is suffering now from what look like seborrhea.

Any advice you guys for dealing with this is welcome. But if his skin is not bothering him, I suppose I should not be bothered...except that he looks awful.

I'm considering going to a dermatologist.....and another great expense.
 
I'm still going through her responses. First blush, she didn't really tell me what I didn't already know.

In the meantime, I'm still dealing with Bacca's skin issues. He has lost all his undercoat in the trunk area. He looks like a Sheltie with a Lion poodle cut.

Finished the antibiotics and now just using the shampoo to control. Its getting moderately better, but along way from fixing. But it doesn't seem to bother him too much.

His meds are working. His last blood work was withing range. So I don't understand why he is suffering now from what look like seborrhea.

Any advice you guys for dealing with this is welcome. But if his skin is not bothering him, I suppose I should not be bothered...except that he looks awful.

I'm considering going to a dermatologist.....and another great expense.

I have said it many times to you, yes see a Dermatologist and get a skin scraping while there. He may at this point have staph. They can atleast tell you with the scraping what type of infection it is and get it treated properly.
 
Bacca is very lucky to have you for a mom. Many would have thrown in the towel by now. Hoping for the best for both of you.
Joanne
 
I have said it many times to you, yes see a Dermatologist and get a skin scraping while there. He may at this point have staph. They can atleast tell you with the scraping what type of infection it is and get it treated properly.

He was treaetd for staph already with antibotics. I guess you missed that. It helped some, but he still is losing coat and skin funk. Or maybe there is another treatment that you can point me to?
 
Maybe his poor coat condition could be from his liver disease or shunt...did Dr. Dodds recommend surgery or did she suggest a special diet. You have mentioned his "brain farts" in the past-what are these like ? I guess what I am getting at is that if he does have a liver shunt you may not want to wait until he becomes really sick to try to operate, if you are thinking about surgery. Or you may want to begin the special diet that is necessary to keep him feeling the best he can. I can imagine having to figure out what to do is very hard. Prayers of peace heading your way.
 
Back
Top