Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Out of practice

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Piper's mom, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that's great that you're making progress. it's so easy to do one little thing that messes up a whole bunch of stuff....
    I have to revisit Cran's fronts as he now wants to jump on me 90% of the time. Really only having that issue in Master Rally at the recall over the jump but in Rally, I can tell him to sit as he comes to me. Obedience, not so much. we are resuming class this week so we'll hopefully get to work on stuff too.....

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Ahhh jumping...Finnie likes to jump too lol. Not on fronts (used to though, I'd just say un un front...I never say anything except front. On a finish I'll say nice and tap my leg, this means straighten out) but he wants to jump and touch my hand with his mouth on the left finish. Now I'm drawing him to my hand (not on the finish, just 'playing') so I can say LEAVE IT when he goes to grab it. I tend to not have one hand up when heeling with Piper (one benefit of having a smaller dog) so its something I'm going to have to start doing with Finnie (he's 16" to Pipers almost 14"). Great improvement on Finnie's heeling in just a week. I may enter him in pre novice at the next show just to get him in the ring.

Calliesmom likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thank goodness I am not the only one with this issue!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    well, I'd been doing the hand up way before I got the smaller pup so I hold it there even with Destin. He's not gone offleash yet but....................

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Well just 2 1/2 weeks until our first trial of the year (and next trial just two weeks after this one!) and Piper is as ready as he'll ever be! Nice thing about this trial is its being held where we rent mat time so Piper is VERY familiar with the building. Just wish I'd get confirmation that they received my entry (I'm not really worried, just irritated by the lack of organization of this club!).
    I've a also entered Finnie in one pre-novice just for the ring experience. Finnie still does that thing with his tail (he continually touches the back of my legs with it), I always feel his tail touching my legs lol...my instructor said she's never seen a dog do this (she says she notices Piper does this a bit but she never really noticed it before seeing how much Finnie does it), at the very least it helps to keep him close to me.
    Finnie is a very jealous boy though! When I work Finnie Piper is out of sight but when I work Piper I keep Finnie in a crate near us (same floor) and whenever I give Piper a command (go out, find mine, heel) OMG the crying lol. It's like he's saying me me me...whatcha doing with him...work me! Piper could care less but it's very distracting for me (Finnie ALWAYS starts it when I send Piper to find my article (and chewing on the crate...he never learns) when I send Piper to find mine...I can't yell at Finnie as I'll distract Piper. Ahhhh the joys of working two dogs at the same time lol.

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Good luck Lisa... You will have your hand full! I have enrolled Liam in the CGC for next month... we will see how that goes.
    What the heck is going on with the whining... crying... Liam does it too! Drives me NUTS!
    I ALWAYS correct him and tell him 'NO Whining'. They sure are similar in that regard.

Do the others in the competition frown on that behavior? Just wondering if it distracts other dogs.

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    generally at trials, your dogs aren't crated close to the rings so whatever is happening in the crate shouldn't distract dogs in the ring.
    that is good that Piper ignores Finnie carrying on. I have a friend with 2 dogs competing in agility- when she's running the one dog, the other is complaining but sometimes the one that is running feels the need to check on the one complaining in the crate........
    all the dogs always want to be the one that is working with mom- no one has the patience to wait until it's their turn.....

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Fortunately at competitions Finnie is quiet (he's in a soft sided crate and can't see out). I've been working a lot with Finnie on NO BARK and he's really getting it. Piper barks more than Finnie now (and that's saying a lot...Finnie used to be really bad, especially doing obedience).
    If one of them barked a lot I'm sure it would irritate people but really, if they're worried about it distracting the dogs then train for it. That's why I take them to matches, so they get used to the noise. Seems Finnie is only like this when training, fortunately lol.

I'm sure Liam will do fine once he gets used to it, Finnie has grown in leaps and bounds the more I've exposed him to.

Hanne and Calliesmom like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Your so right Calliesmom...they always want to be the one lol.
    Actually, last year at a show they allowed people and dogs to be 10 feet from the ring (and right at the end where the go outs were!)
    Of course we were set up elsewhere but we certainly weren't happy with those that set up to watch there!
    Have any of your dogs used their tail as a feeler Calliesmom? It's really the strangest thing...he's constantly touching my legs with it while we're heeling, it's like it's his hand lol!

Calliesmom likes this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Need to see a video of that!

Piper's mom and Calliesmom like this.