BarbV
Forums Celebrity
and if that BYB decided they wanted to breed their toy sheltie?
I know, I know! But reading Dr. Mac's response just makes it even more ambiguous.
Its really hard to take a firm position here. I thought I had one once. It was pretty black and white. No puppy mills, no BYB. Its unfortunately not that simple.
But in reality, just too many shades of grey...and hence why legislators waffle as well. And vets, and rescues and pet owners, etc. And why we have an explosion of designer dogs that no one can regulate and people are insistent are breeds.....Sorry, no, a Golden Doodle is NOT a breed (but they think it is!!!!)
I don't the answer truly, but Dr. Mac....but if I was you and having to advise a customer, I would say NO to breeding. Breeding should really be left to those that know what they are doing and know what they are getting into - birthing and raising pups to 8 weeks. Doesn't matter if purebred or mixed....and puppy is a puppy and a litter takes a ton of work, and should not be done on a whim (because they would be cute)
