Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Pet Stroller

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, May 3, 2018.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    You are such a great Sheltie mom Cindy! Gavin is so lucky to have you as his mom! No dog could ask for more devotion!

2. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

I feel like a terrible mom for letting it get this bad :( And kinda peeved at all the vets Gavin has seen over the past 2+ years and NONE of them mentioned/discovered his leg was weaker or told me to watch for it after his radiation. And I know I told his oncologist about him having a harder time with hills multiple times.

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Cindy, please do not beat yourself up! You have gone above and beyond for Gavin that few owners would have done! You are to be commended for the love, devotion and caring you have given your boy! You have even gone the extra mile to help others who might encounter a similar diagnosis and with all your detailed posts of his diagnosis and all the treatments.

I do admit, I also felt the same way in the latter stages of Mr. Chance's decline. I looked back and was really angered when I would bring him to the vet hoping to catch any issues early to be proactive about his care. To the extent that one of the vets just said to me... "he is an OLD Dog". To me, she was just writing him off! I just won't go back to a vet that has that little compassion as to say that to a person who has such a deep bond with their pet. We all hope we could do more and correct anything that might go wrong. We do the best we can. That is all anyone can expect. Hang in there.

4. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

Second day was even better. Gavin just hopped right in for his ride. I think he may start getting spoiled by the buggy!
    He moved better/quicker than yesterday.

I think the vets always just thought Gavin was in great shape considering his age and history. He is such a happy sweet boy they just didn't think to help him be better than he was...

Sharon7, ghggp and corbinam like this.
  5. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

So today we went to the beach and Gavin walked on the sand for about an hour. The tide was out, so he wasn't able to play in the water much, but he was very chipper wanting to play with other dogs, barking when the tennis balls came out, and he did not want to leave and kept trying to walk back to the beach instead of the car. He doesn't appear to be limping any worse now (very good) but he is exhausted (been sleeping all day). Will have to see how he does tomorrow with his buggy ride and hill walk. I am hoping to extend him to going up and over the bike bridge 1.5 times tomorrow.

Hanne, Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Cindy, that is great that Gavin is adapting to the stroller so well! That beach sand therapy is great too! Heck, everyone knows walking in sand is great therapy! Just being by the water is mental therapy too!
    Keep up the good work!