Playing Catch

MissyGallant

Forums Enthusiast
My mom's sheltie plays catch. I don't mean, toss the ball, he catches it and runs it back to you. I mean you toss the ball, he catches it then TOSSES it back to you.

None of mine have done that. Do any of you have shelties that toss it back to you?
 
My friend’s sheltie plays catch with himself. He’ll throw a ball or toy in the air and catch it. So cute to watch!
 
My friend’s sheltie plays catch with himself. He’ll throw a ball or toy in the air and catch it. So cute to watch!

Cooper and Rocket both do that. You're right. It's very cute. But they don't play catch with me. They'll retrieve all day. But they won't toss it back. In fact, they usually try to drop it a few steps away from me so I have to go get it. I think DH told them to do that to force me to exercise.
 
Our Samoyed, Mercutio, used to throw his bed down the stairs, then run down and "catch" it so he could pull it back up the stairs and throw it down again. I don't think he ever figured out it was for sleeping on, not playing with,
 
Shadow never did that but he played "soccer" with my son: would run after ball and push it hard back with his nose and then both block my son getting the ball and try to go past my son's block. Lots of fun.
 
Zulu loves to retrieve. He has added his own touch to the game. He will drop ball at my feet, and run around my truck that is parked nearby in the driveway. I wait until he comes around full speed, and then I toss the ball. If we are on the other side of the yard, he runs around the storage shed. He dreamed this up on his own, and does it everytime I throw the ball. He also plays soccer like Shadow.
 
Yes, Shelby loves to play catch and yes she will throw the ball back to you. It is her favorite game to play. She wil also put the ball between my knees and hold it there until I grab the ball with my legs. DH taught her to catch but I have no idea how she learned to throw or put it between my knees. She just did it on her own.

Our previous Sheltie loved to jump up and bounce the ball off her snout. It was like we would play volleyball.
 
She wil also put the ball between my knees and hold it there until I grab the ball with my legs. DH taught her to catch but I have no idea how she learned to throw or put it between my knees. She just did it on her own.

Enzo does this too. He’s a master at getting it actually caught between your legs even if you don’t want to! He’ll wedge a toy in there and then darnit you’re playing when you didn’t want to!
 
Back
Top