Positive Pup News! V. Excited!!!!

Thanks MissJennygirl, I was thinking about responding and thanking her by email, but that sounds a good idea.

Can I ask a silly question, but by due dates do you mean when the pups should be born? Which would be around Christmas. So if I contacted her straight after New Year's would that seem too pushy?

Not at all. Here's another tip. Wanting to meet the mothers shows real savvy. I, too, found my breeder with a healthy dose of good fortune. When we talked, I arranged to visit so she could see me face-to-face and know I was serious. It was a long drive (four hours) but so worth it! Now I have three of her Shelties and a mentor when I'm ready to show!
 
Sophie, I think you are in a very good position. You already have a dog, even that a honorary Sheltie:wink2: you do performance with- it says volumes about you. I think asking for a visit to meet prospective mommies is great idea- you get to see the dogs/ stud also?, check their temperament, talk to the breeder, show her Cadburry, see if the breeder is someone you are REALLY able to connect with.
Good thing is what is furry pregnancy is - 60 plus days? much better waiting time than human one:smile2:
 
I am so excitied for you and now instead of suger plums dancing your head you will have sheltie puppies!!! I think MissJennyGirl and Chris's suggestion of writing her and meeting her is a wonderful idea.
Your dream is coming true!!!!
 
Thanks everyone!

Not at all. Here's another tip. Wanting to meet the mothers shows real savvy. I, too, found my breeder with a healthy dose of good fortune. When we talked, I arranged to visit so she could see me face-to-face and know I was serious. It was a long drive (four hours) but so worth it! Now I have three of her Shelties and a mentor when I'm ready to show!
Oh yes, a visit will be a must! It makes such a difference, I was so keen to meet Cadbury's mum and dad and the pups that I was the first person on her waiting list to visit. She said you get first choice! Lol:lol:

Sophie, I think you are in a very good position. You already have a dog, even that a honorary Sheltie you do performance with- it says volumes about you. I think asking for a visit to meet prospective mommies is great idea- you get to see the dogs/ stud also?, check their temperament, talk to the breeder, show her Cadburry, see if the breeder is someone you are REALLY able to connect with.
Good thing is what is furry pregnancy is - 60 plus days? much better waiting time than human one
I told her about the obedience and agility I do and said about competing with sheltie pup when he/she is old enough, but I do intend to meet everyone when I get a chance to visit - mind you, I think most decent breeders are usually pretty keen to show off all their dogs! I had a complete tour of the family at Cadbury's breeders, I even got to meet their bullocks because they were farmers:lol:

60 days still sounds like a long time though!

Your dream is coming true!!!!
I daren't even think that, it seems so unreal still!
 
I found Emma by change on Kijiji (a classified ads website). Because she was given a good home and the breeder has kept in touch and is readily available if I have questions, I was given Liam.

As has been said, get to know the breeder and they will get to know you and will know which puppy is best suited for you and your lifestyle and for Cadbury.

Good luck. And don't forget - the only stupid question is one not asked.:smile2:
 
Great news and great advice from everyone.

I've kept in touch with my breeder and have developed a good friendship with her. That friendship allowed us to bring CJ home,in tact under a co-ownership because the breeder wasn't sure if she was going to breed her or not.

If she didn't trust us, we wouldn't have had an in tact bitch in our possession for 6 months, including through a heat cycle. Building a good, solid, relationship with your breeder is very important.
 
Sophie, this is awesome news! Adding in my two cents, I completely agree with sending the breeder a note, and then making an appointment to meet the prospective moms-to-be. We got our breeder's name, called, and when she said she had no pups available at the time, asked if we could come meet her anyway. She agreed, we saw a litter she had (all spoken for), met her stud dog, and told her we were after an oversize female if possible.

She said she would be breeding in a few months, so I called her back in that timeframe and just reminded her what we were looking for, and that we were content to wait.

She called me back after they were born, and said, "Well I think we've got your puppy - she's going to be BIG."

And that was Asta!

Later, after our first Sheltie Skye passed over the Bridge, we stopped by to show her how Asta turned out, and found out she was trying to find homes for two of her last dogs, as she was retiring from breeding. She offered us one or both, since she knew we were a good home.

So, enter Ally!

Since then, we send email and updated pictures on the girls for her every year, and she always appreciates it.

I'm sure any breeder likes to know you are serious and responsible. Keep us posted!!

Sharon
Asta and Ally
 
Back
Top