Prayers for Logan please...

Did it for many months for Ally. I did not put the actual bag in the microwave; you don't want to have any plastic leach into the fluid. I warmed up water in the microwave in a glass bowl and put the fluid bag in there to warm up. It's just a matter of lifting up the scruff of his neck and inserting the needle gently. We gave Ally 100 mls daily, in the AM so she could pee it out over the course of the day and not get up at night to pee. You can SO do this, Gloria. It did keep her much more comfortable.
 
Thanks RickyR for the details on in subQ. If Logan seems to need subQ fluids again on Saturday the vets office will train me on it.

He still eats very little. I just wish he would eat real meal.
 
Sharon, how long did you do it? Every other day like RickyR?

My vet charges $50 per subQ. No, I do not have pet insurance!
 
Gloria, I wonder if Logan's appetite will pick up once the pancreatitis improves and he's on a few less meds. Barkley went through a spell of not wanting to eat while his stomach was off and I couldn't get meds into him either. I couldn't tempt him with anything that normally worked. But as he improved, his appetite did too and now he's gobbling his kibble again. Just a thought.
 
Thanks Ann! I have him on only three meds now and stopped all others for the very reason you mentioned.

I know as a human being on too many meds on an empty stomach is NOT a good combination. Not sure how long it will take for the pancreatitis to resolve. Getting another blood panel done next week that might shed some light on it.

He had diarrhea today so I know he is just not feeling well. He did eat more deli turkey!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ann
Sharon, how long did you do it? Every other day like RickyR?

My vet charges $50 per subQ. No, I do not have pet insurance!
This was almost 4 years ago, and I believe it was around $35.00 Given how much everything goes up, $50.00 probably is about right. Once you know the exact formula, may be worth checking online.
 
It was actually daily, 100 mls at a time. I wish I could remember how much the Lactated Ringer's cost - I did get it online and I want to say it was between $20 - $25 dollars a bag? Plus tubing and needles, but still much cheaper than the vet.
 
It was actually daily, 100 mls at a time. I wish I could remember how much the Lactated Ringer's cost - I did get it online and I want to say it was between $20 - $25 dollars a bag? Plus tubing and needles, but still much cheaper than the vet.

how long did a bag last? I did that for my cat and it seemed that a bag lasted be 2 weeks. So maybe a week for a dog? My car tolerated really well. She passed after 6 months at 17
 
I went to the vet this morning to get Logan his SubQ Treatment. The tech trained me how to do it. Although I HATE needles... I need to do this for Logan!

I was incorrect on the $50 cost initially because that included a pain shot too.

The vet office charges $30 each SubQ visit. He has been getting them every 3rd day. So, that would mean approx 10x a month at a cost of $300.

I worked out the charges if I did it at home.
A bag is $20 and he can get 3 treatments out of it. With the cost of the needles @$3.00 for a 5 pack, that would be $66 per month.

Less stress on Logan and better costs for me!

He is still not eating much. Only pill pockets this morning. That is actually good as I could get all his meds on board.
Going to the vet on Monday for another blood panel to see where we stand.
 
how long did a bag last? I did that for my cat and it seemed that a bag lasted be 2 weeks. So maybe a week for a dog? My car tolerated really well. She passed after 6 months at 17

It was a 1,000 ml bag, so it lasted 10 days. She only weighed 16 pounds so it didn't take as much, just 100 ml at a time.
 
Back
Top