Puppy packages!

really, why couldn't you offer both options and let the breeders could choose which package(s) they want to get? You could do the basic grooming package, and do a toy one with a couple toys and maybe a blanket (blue for boy, pink for girl). and maybe do ear glue with both of them.
 
really, why couldn't you offer both options and let the breeders could choose which package(s) they want to get? You could do the basic grooming package, and do a toy one with a couple toys and maybe a blanket (blue for boy, pink for girl). and maybe do ear glue with both of them.

that's a good idea- choose which would work for that breeder:yes:

Barb, I know that you have been thinking sheltie-oriented but you will likely have breeders of low grooming care breeds shopping in your store so a toy option would be better for them:winkgrin:

I did send toys and blankie to Cran and his siblings and we got ear glue from the breeder when I picked him up.
 
I think it is a nice thing to offer, but I can see it being a lot more trouble for you than it's worth, because like others have said, personal preference is almost more important than product quality for what makes one brush ideal for one person and horrible for another. The same with ear-tipping supplies, given the myriad of different styles that people favor (some swear by the Japanese tape, others by glue alone, etc). People are equally opinionated about the types of toys and treats they give their pets. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a kit (be it grooming, ear-tipping or toy) that would have universal appeal for all (or even most) breeders, let alone their eventual customers. I think that you'd have to offer SO MANY different options and customizations for breeders to pick and choose from, it would be a logistical nightmare for you.

As a first-time puppy owner, I'm not sure I'd want a pre-made grooming (or even toy, probably) package from a breeder. I would appreciate the gesture, but I like to pick and choose what I buy, and only buy what I actually think I will want/need, usually after I've researched my options and considered several possibilities. And remember, not all pet owners plan to groom their dogs themselves. Personally, I am perfectly comfortable bathing and brushing my dog, but I get nervous about the idea of cutting the hair, because I don't know what the heck I'm doing and would rather leave that to somebody who does! So a grooming kit with scissors would be wasted on me!

I also liked Chris's idea of hosting puppy showers. I know that some people would just eat that up. I can say that personally I would not have wanted a puppy shower for our puppy, and I'd feel weird going to a shower for a puppy. We love our dog. He means the world to us. But we definitely don't consider him our baby. :) So, for someone like me, you could also offer a plain registry, without the party, where people could just make wishlists of what items they want. Before we got our puppy, I actually did something like this. My mother-in-law was an assistant manager at Petsmart at the time, and she offered to buy us some supplies (like a crate, bowls, etc.) so that we'd have everything in place for the puppy (and get her employee discount, whee!) but she wanted to be sure we got stuff we actually wanted, so I made a wishlist on petsmart.com and emailed it to her, and she was able to buy the items in her store. I know that this option would really appeal to people, especially if they could do it in-store so that they could actually see and touch the items before putting them on a list. For instance, my MIL didn't get us the crate we asked for, because she said it wasn't actually as nice as one of the other varieties. We would have known that if we could have seen them in the store before putting them on the list.

Perhaps you could just offer a discount card for breeders, or you could sell them little coupon books or gift cards to give to people with their puppies, instead of a gift basket. I would have been happy to get a gift card, because that would still let me pick and choose what to use it on. And I would rather have a coupon for a free or reduced-price grooming than a pair of scissors and brush I might not like any day! :lol:
 
Yes I do the stuffed animal thing too...I buy one for each puppy and rotate them though and than send them with the puppy I sell. The one I actually use is from petstages and you can microwave it so its warm like their littermate.
 
OMG
so excited for you Barb! If one person can do it' it'll be you :biggrin2:
Can't wait to see and hear more about it!!

Uhm. say.. vibrant pets is looking for a Canadian distributor... aren't they?
Please do this for your Canadian Sheltie brethren lol
 
Yes I do the stuffed animal thing too...I buy one for each puppy and rotate them though and than send them with the puppy I sell. The one I actually use is from petstages and you can microwave it so its warm like their littermate.

Oh I love that, microwave, warm and nice for the pup!

The breeder I bought Lil' Lady from gave me a 5lb bag of dog food to start her off on. Love the microwave toy. Never heard of them.

I tossed a blanket in the car for Lil' Lady to lay on that had Lucky's scent on it, that was about it for a littermate til we got home.
 
Have you thought about approaching a pet photographer and adding a coupon for a free photo of the new pup? This would be great advertisement for the photographer and a real keepsake for the new owner and likely lead to more photos being taken.
 
I love the idea of a puppy package with basics, and I think a brush, comb and sample bottle of shampoo would be terrific. Most of us are puppy-savvy but so many people who take home a puppy for the first time have no idea that they should groom it! That's a great way of introducing them to the idea that no matter what breed it is, it should be brushed/combed regularly. You could include a small toy if you wanted to, or do a separate package as someone suggested. I like that idea too. Good luck, Barb!!
 
I love the idea of a puppy package with basics, and I think a brush, comb and sample bottle of shampoo would be terrific. Most of us are puppy-savvy but so many people who take home a puppy for the first time have no idea that they should groom it! That's a great way of introducing them to the idea that no matter what breed it is, it should be brushed/combed regularly. You could include a small toy if you wanted to, or do a separate package as someone suggested. I like that idea too. Good luck, Barb!!

This is why i like the idea of the grooming package. For us, it would have been nice to have even basics to work with. Yes everyone has different preferences, but that is after having experience in the area. i would guess your not going to find a FIRST time puppy owner that has any clue what to even look for. After they have worked with some stuff for a while, then they can upgrade to what ever they think works better.
 
What about the possibility of a "dog-walking" service coming out of your store?
(along with the combination, "house-sitting"/"dog-walking", if the people go away weekends and or on vacation).
 
Back
Top