Puppy packages!

I'm sure you have looked into the grants etc the federal govt has available for you, especially as a woman.
 
I'm sure you have looked into the grants etc the federal govt has available for you, especially as a woman.

I've not found grants that I'm eligible for (if you know of any that I missed, please let me know). But I do know that from a financing point of view, I'm eligible for the Canadian Small Business Financing Program.

Operating cash flow is my biggest challenge that I'm working on.
 
I'll do some research and see if there is anything I can find. Hope all works out and if sometime I get your way, I can come see your new store.
 
Just wanted to say good luck with the financing. I hope it comes through. I think there's a lot of things you can do to offer more "better quality" products. Getting them sold will be the tougher part. ;)

I wish I could open a middle of the road store. We either have typical pet store products or boutiques with over-priced items that aren't any better. I'd love to pack a store full of all the products we like to use here on the board.

I cant' wait to see where this goes Barb!
 
Just wanted to say good luck with the financing. I hope it comes through. I think there's a lot of things you can do to offer more "better quality" products. Getting them sold will be the tougher part. ;)

I wish I could open a middle of the road store. We either have typical pet store products or boutiques with over-priced items that aren't ?)on the board.

I cant' wait to see where this goes Barb!

Well, this franchise is focussed on expanding into the US. It was a Canadian company established in 1976 and bought out in 2009 by a company in Atlanta (I think) They already have 70 stores open in the US and looking for more.

So the opportunity is there.

The demographic market is higher income, 40+ females, interested in good pet nutrition but with disposable income enough to pamper their pets to some extent.

We can talk more if you are interested.
 
if i have the company that you are talking about right, i enjoy shopping there. being the only city with a vet school in ontario, we have a whole bunch of pet stores. i like the fact that it isn't too fancy while still giving me fancy items. the accessories are generally lacking in variety but the food selection is awesome.

and i always get pretty decent service there which is nice. sometimes i find it a bit challenging to find new food/brands there because its not clear shelving and kind of dark, but someone is always available to find things for me which is great.

i don't only shop there, but i have a HUGE selection of stores to shop at. although i've never seen any humane society kitties at the stores before. maybe its a local thing?
 
It appears that this is franchise I shop at too, they have just remodeled the store where I live and with the new store, put in a groomer. Great stuff, good staff.
 
To the last two posts....that would be correct. They are re-branding themselves. The focus is still pet food, specifically holistic, and they have their own branded pet food as well. I've not tried it yet.

They are in process of renovating all their stores. Hardwood floors and wood shelves, wide open aisles, etc. A far cry from the industrial pet food stores of the past.

They don't position themselves like a Bark & Fitz which really caters to disposable income, but more middle of the road, healthy care. But they've upscaled their look to compete in the higher markets.

Their food selection is top notch. I find their grooming supplies not so much. Something I hope to help change in the future.

As for the humane society thing....it depends on the store. This is a fairly recent innovation, and not all stores are up and running with it yet.
 
I'm not a breeder myself and only owns 1 sheltie so far but what my breeder gave me at the time I got Mozart was pretty good and sufficient...in my opinion. She got one of those travel use pouch that rolls up and clip together. Inside the pouch there's a slicker brush, comb, trimming scissors, Tear Mender (she uses this glue for the ears), tooth brush, a bag of puppy food (the amount she put in there was enough for 4 meals), a toy, some dog care manuals, and a dog chew.
I think a nail trimmer, styptic powder, and a brush would be a nice inclusion.
 
First of all, I would LOVE to own a pet supply store. It is my husband and I'd sort of dream job.

My mom sent a toy, a bag of food, a VHS of puppy training (it was a few years ago), the AKC paperwork and her phone number with each puppy. Never even thought about a brush.

When we got Annabelle, I had a toy in the car for her. Piggy. And whenever Piggy gets her legs torn off, Annabelle gets a new Piggy. (And just two days ago, Nick took Annabelle to the pet store and let her pick her own toy- she chose Piggy.) I had a lot of fun picking girl dog toys. We both had males and didn't have Bonnie yet. And I got to buy pink leashes and collars and toys. I would have liked things from the breeder, but I enjoyed getting the stuff myself.

And we already had two shelties, I didn't really NEED a grooming package. Ya' know? I think the need for that isn't as much. We use the same brush on all of our dogs. You would need it for your first, but not say- your third.
 
Back
Top