Puppy packages!

I like the idea of a grooming kit.....however......I probably wouldn't buy it. Why? Because when they're puppies, they don't require "grooming".

With that bit...if my breeder offered me the following in a "puppy" kit, I'd probably buy it.
-ear tipping supplies (so hard to find!)
-shampoo (for puppies, or just a good one overall)
-brush
-nail clippers

I'm trying to recall what I had when I bought Miko (cuz I had most of the stuff when I got Koji). I have to admit, the one GREAT thing that my breeder had gotten me was a correct sized crate. I paid for it, but still, she got it for me. I think I had already bought bowls and a leash/collar. His "bed" was his crate. (Totally OT, but I remember putting Miko's crate on my nightstand so he was "closer" to me, lol. Hope he didn't realize how high up he was)

So, just my two cents as a new puppy owner. Ear-tipping stuff was a lot harder to find than brushes/etc. HOWEVER, now that I have my longer pinned Chris brush (I think it's 27mm), I'm like, why the heck did I never buy one before? Koji LOVES getting brushed now. I mean, he's leaning into the brush, stretching while I brush him, just loving it. He HATES being brushed with the other one still (the cheap one from PetSmart). Seriously. Where have they been all my life? Oh yeah, I was too cheap to buy such an expensive brush. LOL.

If I was a breeder, knowing how I am (um, planner, list-maker, etc), I'd probably give them a list of items they'll need and may need. I'd probably list brand names, where to find them, how much it runs approximately, etc. Okay, if I had the time and owned a store, I'd probably make lists of different breeds (or group them by hair types) and have those lists for customers of new dogs (with your products).
 
Barb - you are getting a great list of ideas here. Can't wait to hear what you decide.

Emma came home with a stuffed top from a thrift shop - puppy safe. That is a good idea to send them home with a toy. Some provide leashes/collars, sample bag of food.
 
OMG
so excited for you Barb! If one person can do it' it'll be you :biggrin2:
Can't wait to see and hear more about it!!

Uhm. say.. vibrant pets is looking for a Canadian distributor... aren't they?
Please do this for your Canadian Sheltie brethren lol


i hope your looking into the other brands that i'm finding incredibly challenging to find in Canada, such as CC products, but I really like the idea of a "puppy registry" or maybe a "welcome home puppy socialization event after hours shopping extravaganza" that you can get people to rsvp to? where they can get a mini-puppy kit, during say the summer time when lots of people are getting dogs, and then they know that the products are from your store, and they can spend some one on one time with you and your products and why you/breeders/experts think these are helpful for training etc.

as for contents of puppy kit, i think the entirely grooming is not required, but definitely a basic slicker brush, a basic nail clipper, maybe a finger toothbrush, a sample bag of dog food (if you get those i know some stores hand them out for free), a simple toy, a chew bone, maybe small bottles of urine-off spray and shampoo. depending on what type of sample size products you can receive from distributors. overall an awesome idea though!
 
NO kidding, I finally bought a small CC brush eventually (thanks Sheltie Nation!!) and also could kick myself for not getting one sooner, makes getting the dog used to brushing so much easier cuz it's much less painful than the cheap ones!!!
 
Hey, Barb -- how about having your store host "Puppy Showers?" Then people could list what they'd like and have the party right there!

You read my mind! I met with the franchise folk yesterday, and the one thing they beat into me is that community/consumer events really make the difference! It's all about building relationships. So job one is to make contact with all the breeders in the area and offer incentives to send their new puppies my way.....ya, ya, ya....eye's spinning. Once you've got the breeders, you've got the buyers.

I barely slept last night after meeting with the Head Office folk.....not stress but the brain churning all night long. I've had adrenaline all day like I haven't had in 6 months (since I left work).

I love the fact that the store I'm going to buy has grooming facilities...(but no groomer yet) and they sponser cats in-house at the store for adoption from the Human Society onsite. They don't do dogs currently....too much work because the dogs can't be left overnight, and the dog walking requirment during the day...

I'm so excited about the possibilities....and being my own boss....

Just got to get through the financing process....cross fingers, toes, ears and paws!
 
OMG! You guys are fantastic!

Of course, I could not limit myself to what works for shelties but for all breeds, but I know that most of the grooming tools that you buy at pet stores are substandard. The only exception I ever found was the Lawrence slicker brush I found by accident while my boys were getting groomed. Every other grooming tool that I've bought and still use has been bought online.

Because its a franchise, I'm limited as to what new products I can bring in, however, I do have some leeway and influence in some circumstances. I'm stilll feeling my way through this.

You guys have just reinforced my vision and the franchise vision to bring it all to the next level. Right now they are focused on food and holistic foods, including their own branded food.

I want to move them to the next level in overall dog care. (and yes, I suppose cats and birds and gerbils and hamsters, LOL!)
 
That is really exciting Barb!

Even within the limits of the franchise, I think you will find great ways to innovate because you seem on the right path to do so. Also, you seem to be doing great research in finding what your future customers will want. I'm sure your business will strive especially if you get a good feedback system in your store like a suggestion box or occasional polls customers can answer voluntarily while waiting in line. That way you can keep on evaluating the needs/wants to adapt your services and products.

I would personally have loved a grooming kit when I got Kyara. As a first time dog owner (without mentioning this is a double coated breed), I felt at lost when choosing the equipment.
 
Barb - this is so exciting for you. Sounds like they and you are thinking along the same lines with what you need to offer to prospective puppy (kitty, etc) owners. Our generation (45+) have money to spend on our furbabes and it looks like you are headed in the right direction for us to spend money on them.
 
I am so happy for you Barb, it sounds like everything is coming together and you are really excited. Keeping fingers crossed for you that the last details fall into place and you will be on your way! Going to work in your own pet store every day ... just gives you goose bumps of excitement thinking about it!! What handsome mascots that store will have!!
 
Let's just hope that the Bank agrees with you all.

That's where I'm at currently. Getting my financing.

So all your feedback is important in building my business plan. Crossing fingers and paws!

With any luck, I will have possesion of the store before Xmas. I dropped by there today to pick up some food for the boys. And yes, they had the Santa costumes already on display! And yes, they have grooming facilities! (but no groomer yet!)

p.s. Don't tell Indy and Bacca....they don't know yet that they might become "models" at the store......:lol:

p.p.s. the store also does adoptions from the humane society in the store. So far, only cats.....I was close to bringing one home today!
 
Back
Top