Skunked! I need information!

I leave it to Chris to be the "wit of the forum"! I'm just happy to play along with her as her sidekick!
 
Done! Nevis sparkles . . . sparkles???

First, thank you all for the assistance and chuckles.

I used what was left of a Skunk Off container left in the garage then followed with a vinegar rinse and a light shampoo. Nevis didn't look great but there's no hint of skunk.
I made an appointment with a local groomer as well. Can't have a tangled looking sheltie walking the lane. (I looked awful after this back-breaking work but it'll give a bit of a story to share.)


Oona
 
Instead I bought a 3 in 1 Shampoo/Conditioner called Orange Apeel Deskunking and Deodorizing Formula. I was surprised. It actually worked! And Indy's fur felt wonderful afterwards.

This product is a keeper!

Hey Barb, can you tell me where you bought that shampoo? I'm gonna need some unfortunately. Or if there's anything else you can recommend that your store sells.

Toby and Ginny both got skunked last night, Toby right in the face. Since it was midnight and just about everything was closed we used the peroxide/baking soda/dish soap mix, which did a surprisingly good job of removing the smell.

He still smells a bit (as does the whole house), so I want to try and shampoo his face. I might have missed some key areas on his face since I was trying not to get anything in his eyes.
 
Hope everyone's dogs are up to date on their vaccines and that you all used gloves. Skunks are high on the list of rabid animal populations. I had this happen to my Aussie when I was living in a rental accomodation and using the company's, my husband worked for, very expensive furniture and rugs. We were on loan to a company in BC. Anyway, we had gone to the movies and left our kids with the landlady's daughter. We were nicely relaxed watching the movie when an usher came down the aisle and said we were needed at home. It was on approach to the house that we knew what the emergency was. The girl, an honour student by the way, had let the dog, that had spray running down it's face, into the main part of the house where she promptly started trying to rub the stuff off on the rugs, chairs, sofa, mattresses and anything else she could find. Being in a small town in the interior of BC on a Saturday evening we were lucky to have a couple of large cans of tomato juice in the pantry. There are pictures of my poor Towyn in the tub covered in tomato juice. A cleaning company took care of the house. The juice helped a lot but it was a couple of weeks before we no longer smelled the odour.
 
This is what I was so afraid of, having a skunk living under my shed - it is now gone somewhere else, thanks to a live trap.

Melissa - Petvalu and Petsmart have a deskunking shampoo, not the one Barb recommended. I think it is Nature's Miracle?
 
Hope everyone's dogs are up to date on their vaccines and that you all used gloves.

Yes, they're all up to date in their shots but no, I didn't think to use gloves. I wish I had, one smell's like skunk. Skunks apparently only transmit rabies through their saliva and clearly Toby and Ginny never got close enough to be bit. :rolleyes2:

This is what I was so afraid of, having a skunk living under my shed - it is now gone somewhere else, thanks to a live trap.

Melissa - Petvalu and Petsmart have a deskunking shampoo, not the one Barb recommended. I think it is Nature's Miracle?

I think it might be looking for a place to live, I'm going to let my neighbor's know (if they didn't smell the trouble last night). We're also going to block the holes in the yard so that the skunk can't get back in.

Yeah, I've heard of the one Nature's Miracle sells and I like Nature's Miracle products, but I just thought I'd ask.

Toby smells pretty good considering, but I want to try and get as much of the smell off of his face as possible. I'm not comfortable using peroxide/baking soda again (which definitely bleached his fur a bit), I don't want to risk getting it in his eyes.
 
Get some chicken wire and dig it down into the ground so they can't burrow under. You can't put moth balls out because of your dogs, which I did - I dumped a couple of boxes down the hole.
 
Get some chicken wire and dig it down into the ground so they can't burrow under. You can't put moth balls out because of your dogs, which I did - I dumped a couple of boxes down the hole.

Mothballs, that's a good idea. I think I can place them along the fence so that the dogs can't get at them.

My dh would sooner sprout wings and fly than put up chicken wire, or dig around the fence. He's VERY particular about how the yard looks and was really miffed about all the skunk holes we discovered this morning.
 
Back
Top