The little @#*!@!**

yeah....its just that the metal crate needs to be in the kitchen for the during the day pen.
i've tried a plastic crate in the bedroom, but the barking that ensues if I put him in it for even 1 minute during the day....
my bed is so high it makes that less appealing for the dog I think as they can't see me even with the door facing my bed.

pico does NOT bark when I come home. he sits quietly in his pen for me to let him out (within reason).
Gavin always barked a lot when I came home. I had to race in to let him out so he would be quiet.
no figuring out what is going on in those puppy brains!

even gavin couldn't jump on my bed (he had to use an ottoman as a step stool).
I don't think I want pico jumping that high..eventually I will set up the bed ramp when he has free reign of the house.
right now the platform is set up with the very large dog beds. That way if he takes a tumble, it is to a nicely padded area only 6 inches lower and not 3 feet!
I don't think Pico wll complain if they are too big for him :)

Actually, he hasn't been jumping at all. not even down from the couch (which i now he can do).
the new set of puppy proofing when he does start jumping.....
 
I put a diaper on Pico last night, so that isn't a concern.
Gavin didn't sleep with me. never seemed to want to, honestly, as I think he got too hot. he might have visited for 20 minutes or so, but hours? When he was pretty old I did wake with him on my second pillow a few times but that was unusual. This is new to me.

Any tips?

We used belly band wrap diapers for our dogs before they were house broken and they worked really well- they are comfortable not constricting and the dogs got used to them quickly-- and they are washable if they get wet. It might be a good option if you want to have Pico sleep with you and even if he pees then it won't get on your bed or more likely he will get too hot and jump off and still won't pee on the floor cause of the belly bands.. I am sold on them. They are easy on and easy off and the dogs don't seem to mind them.. they won't stop pooping but frankly that is a lot easier to clean up than pee and as gross as all this may seem, we have to remember everything is water soluable and a little soap and water solves all sorts of problems--Like the Servpro commercial-- like it never happened!!
 
Maybe Pico is trying to not pee in his house so maybe all this fuss is going to be the basis for him getting house broken?? OK normally I am the pessimist in our house and this is me trying to be optimistic..
 
We used belly band wrap diapers for our dogs before they were house broken and they worked really well- they are comfortable not constricting and the dogs got used to them quickly-- and they are washable if they get wet. It might be a good option if you want to have Pico sleep with you and even if he pees then it won't get on your bed or more likely he will get too hot and jump off and still won't pee on the floor cause of the belly bands.. I am sold on them. They are easy on and easy off and the dogs don't seem to mind them.. they won't stop pooping but frankly that is a lot easier to clean up than pee and as gross as all this may seem, we have to remember everything is water soluable and a little soap and water solves all sorts of problems--Like the Servpro commercial-- like it never happened!!

i have disposable belly bands....i refer to them as diapers.
i also have reusable belly bands with liners as well.
i got both to see which worked best and they both are great.
i use them when i am home, not for when pico is penned.
so overnight would be a new use.

but they are a lifesaver! before i got them i was cleaning up messes multiple times an hour!
 
I meant to keep a growth chart for Meadow but I didn't. She grew up until about 6 - 7 months, then she was done. We were hoping she'd be just a bit bigger, she is between 14.5 and 14.75 inches, weighs 16.5 lb. She is fine boned, much more so than my other two. But hey, my lovely Sheltie calendar has the Nobel Growth Chart. So, at 16 weeks and 12 inches, he is at the top part of the curve for size (for staying in the "safe" zone, 16 inches or less).
 
If you look at this post of mine, you can see how Deacon measured as he was growing. Looks like Pico is taller than Deacon but same weight at 15 months. At almost 3 years, Deacon is 16 Lbs - Brodie is 20 lbs at almost 5 years. Both are a nice weight to carry around tucked under my arm.
His growth chart, I forgot it...
View media item 7340

As far as sleeping, you know when we had kids, my mom always told me 'DON'T let them sleep with you!!!!'. It worked with the first, although when he got a bit older, he'd sneak in and sleep under our bed so I put a sleeping bag there for him. #2 didn't like sleeping with anyone. With #3 coming along and 3 in 4 years, he slept with us - I was just too darn tired. He remains our cuddliest! You do whatever is right for YOU! :)

Our dogs have always been crated, started with the doxies cux I was always worried about back injuries if we were out. Plus, when we got our first, a lady I knew got 2 and both were electrocuted when she was out of the home - chewed on wires - so we crated. We crate our pups still. They go to bed and have crate covers which go down only at night. Deacon will often demand to be put to bed. They sometimes sleep with me when hubs travel - sometimes they like it, other times they want to be in their beds. When we travel, we bring crates; Deacon is often most comfortable in his bed, while Brodie might opt to sleep in 'the big boy bed'. I was grateful when Brodie got Lyme's that he was perfectly comfortable in his bed since he needed to be confined. We used crates when young to assist in potty training, but have never used them for punishment except for maybe if we needed a time out from puppy. Ours still get a Mother Hubbard's mini dog biscuit every time they get in their kennel. If I go out for a long time, I will kennel them - if just for a short time, I leave them out. Brodie gets too worked up, like it's his job to go nuts over everything, when he's left out. If kenneled, they just sleep quietly until let out.
 
so he's 15.5 weeks old
around 12 inches at the withers and 7lbs.
mark swore he would be 14.5-15.5 inches and 20-25 lbs.
I know he knows his dogs, but pico is awful small.
Davy is 24 weeks and 11.6 lbs- not sure how tall he is- I keep forgetting to measure when we visit our friend with a wicket. he's still shorter than Destin so under 13.75"...........
 
well, we slept until 5AM. I heard him sit up, so out we went for a looong pee and a poop. then back to bed, until my alarm at 7:30!
I could feel his little legs against my back as he stretched a bit from time to time.
Now, I woke at midnight and 3 AM (Probably a little PTSD thinking he would need to get up), but nothing from Pico.
his diaper was completely dry, btw.

I have not slept that long or much since before I brought him home!
mind you, he wasn't overtly cuddly and he was laying near my back area or lower.
 
Back
Top