The little @#*!@!**

LOL that was funny! What a bundle of personality with so much to say! You two will be having full on conversations in no time!

personality is just other people speak for brattiness.
Other people laughing at him howling, is them laughing at me because it is not happening to them.
This at 3AM is why he sleeps with me now :(

all I have to do is look at him a certain way and he sits....so I am confident I will train this out of him.
Just probably not before I take him somewhere for thanksgiving
 
personality is just other people speak for brattiness.
Other people laughing at him howling, is them laughing at me because it is not happening to them.
This at 3AM is why he sleeps with me now :(

all I have to do is look at him a certain way and he sits....so I am confident I will train this out of him.
Just probably not before I take him somewhere for thanksgiving

Wow I'm sorry if my post offended you. I meant it as a compliment. I assure you I am not laughing at you nor does my use of "personality" equate with "brattiness." And I indeed do have a very vocal boy who talks to me all day long. Now that my husband is gone, its sometimes the only conversation I have all day, and I appreciate the interaction. And I wish mine would sleep in the bed with me. Apparently, we are on opposite sides of the coin when it comes to behaviour.
Again, sorry.
 
Wow I'm sorry if my post offended you. I meant it as a compliment. I assure you I am not laughing at you nor does my use of "personality" equate with "brattiness." And I indeed do have a very vocal boy who talks to me all day long. Now that my husband is gone, its sometimes the only conversation I have all day, and I appreciate the interaction. And I wish mine would sleep in the bed with me. Apparently, we are on opposite sides of the coin when it comes to behaviour.
Again, sorry.

not offended at all! Just I get the same reaction from people ALL the time and it is very much 'It is cute because it is YOUR dog' kinda thing.
a tad disengenuous. no expression of sympathy for a very trying situation at times (puppy temper tantrums all day is NOT fun).
of which he is doing right now....after we got back from his walk and he got dinner he went into his crate on his own and started howling and barking.

I got no sleep for 6 weeks with this guy waking me 3 x each night.....so I am not being overly sensitive about it.
I like him sleeping with me, but I do not like that I feel he HAS to sleep with me or he will cry all night.
And there will be times when he won't be able to sleep with me and I dread what will happen.

The last things I need is Pico to have separation anxiety since I work and I have upstairs neighbors who work from home. And if howling is a sign of that, well, that is very not good.
Different living situations dictate certain behaviors are less acceptable, not necessarily personal likes and dislikes.
 
not offended at all! Just I get the same reaction from people ALL the time and it is very much 'It is cute because it is YOUR dog' kinda thing.
a tad disengenuous. no expression of sympathy for a very trying situation at times (puppy temper tantrums all day is NOT fun).
of which he is doing right now....after we got back from his walk and he got dinner he went into his crate on his own and started howling and barking.

I got no sleep for 6 weeks with this guy waking me 3 x each night.....so I am not being overly sensitive about it.
I like him sleeping with me, but I do not like that I feel he HAS to sleep with me or he will cry all night.
And there will be times when he won't be able to sleep with me and I dread what will happen.

The last things I need is Pico to have separation anxiety since I work and I have upstairs neighbors who work from home. And if howling is a sign of that, well, that is very not good.
Different living situations dictate certain behaviors are less acceptable, not necessarily personal likes and dislikes.
I did not say it but I would give a lot to hear Angus howl. One of his many quirks, miss him. He will have you trained soon then you will miss it if he is not testing you (remember I live with Spitfire :ROFLMAO:)
 
I don't actually mind the howling if there was a reason or I am at home to get him to stop after a short time. But it seems to be out of boredom or frustration. and that means it happens when I am at work (I've seen it on my webcam). And my poor neighbor trying to work upstairs has no recourse for who knows how long.

And he does bark at me, but one bark here and there to tell me to play or take him out to potty is very different from barking uncontrollably.

My neighbors have been so great about this, but they shouldn't have to put up with this endlessly.

I am not trying to train out his personality, just tame the expression of it a bit.
Gavin learned not to bark much at home but that he could bark as much as he wanted at the beach, so he barked non stop there!
 
Deacon is a howler, but he is also just a very energetic, talkative guy. Anything can set him off, but he converses a ton, and conversing can quickly lead to howling. Brodie is quiet, well except for his barking. Maybe it is a small dog thing. We found Deacon became more chatty as he got older. We love his quirky personality, but if he was singing in the middle of the night, well - I am crabby if I don't sleep.

Has Pico watched any dog tv to see if it interests vs over-stimulates him?
 
I play music for him when I leave. he has a classical music playlist and a easy listening one (flute music, kenny g, etc).
He doesn't react to the doorbell and doesn't appear to have nay interest in the TV yet.
overall he is not reactive (yet anyway) and I'd like to keep it that way.
He doesn't bark when he sees other dogs either.

When I have caught him howling on webcam when I am at work, it is not a quick thing.
It is 10-15 minutes. interspersed with barking.
at night he would go for 30 minutes sometimes. the little guy has stamina!
what I don't want is him enjoying barking and howling for its own sake and then getting all worked up.

oddly enough, he doesn't seem to enjoy sleeping with me.
when I am getting ready for bed, I have to go find him and bring him into my room.
most other times he follows me in to my bedroom.
he has a few toys in his dog bed, but he can't leave once the lights are out so he is stuck!
 
Any chance of bringing a couple of toys into bed with you? We usually have a soft toy and a hard chew toy with us. They're small enough that they're not in our way (at least not more than the 2 dogs are already). That might, one, make him more willing to go to bed with you as he gets the "special" toy(s) and two, might stop the howling if it's out of boredom. As far as during the day do you feel comfortable leaving a feeding toy/snuffle mat that he can focus all that extra energy on? I know how frustrating the vocalizations can be; in the middle of the night last night (like around 2 a.m.) our 2 decided to have a battle (dominance or fun, not sure which) that involved jumping on our bed and barking at the other one. Fortunately we only share walls with our neighbors' garages so I doubt they heard anything.
 
Back
Top