Twitch

I went to see the breeder yesterday and we had a very nice visit. Blueberry played and played for almost 2 hours! She did do her twitch twice but it was near the end of our visit. She held Blueberry and Blueberry was still too playful, it was later after she’d burned off most of her energy.
After watching Blueberry walk, run, play etc she couldn’t see any deficits, in fact she said she wouldn’t have known anything was wrong if she didn’t know about it.
She is fine with Blueberry seeing this holistic vet...I’m also thinking of starting her on raw sooner than later. My plan was within the next couple months to get her switched but with all this I’m thinking of doing that sooner. Piper and Finnie are both already on raw and it would just be much easier. One of the two holistic vets at this clinic actually helped create a local balanced raw food for dogs that’s available at pet stores here so it would probably be a very good plan (although my sister is VERY much against this...a know it all who actually knows very little...frustrates me to no end).
Poor Blueberry still isn’t a big fan of car rides and yesterday she was awake from 11 am until we got home at 3:30. I thought she’d at least sleep in the car for the drive there (it’s a 30 minute highway drive) but nope, she just kept turning, going to back of crate and get up again. I keep the crate in the front passenger seat so I was able to open the door and she settled a bit when I would pet her. Same on the way home. Fortunately she had no food in her tummy so no throwing up at least!
I’m going to get her out today and go for a drive and visit a few places...gonna be a beautiful day!
 
Good update for Blueberry. I am glad her breeder got to see Blueberry do her little twitch when she was tired at the end of play...that way you know she has witnessed it first hand and at this point is not concerned that this is anything serious. Tell Piper and Finnie that it looks like they are stuck with the wee pest!!!!
Trini
 
I'm new and never posted before, but am so very interested in what your pup is going through as our healthy 14 year old sheltie "Kenna" was doing the same thing. Started last year I think in August or September. After a series of changes, (easy and inexpensive changes) we are at the point now that the twitching has stopped. She is so much better.

Your video was exactly like what our Kenna was doing, Kenna's was maybe a bit stronger twitch and she had them multiple times per day. I searched the internet for months looking for a video similar to her twitch but your video is the only one that comes close to Kenna's twitch. I couldn't get a good video of Kenna's twitch as they occurred sporadically and only lasted for a few seconds.

I know there is a huge difference with a pup and a 14 year old but maybe something we did may ring a bell for you.
I would be glad to outline our timeline and what we have tried if you would like, but we are not really sure which thing helped or a combo of things....all we do know is she is much better so we just keep doing all of those things. Nancy.
 
I'm new and never posted before, but am so very interested in what your pup is going through as our healthy 14 year old sheltie "Kenna" was doing the same thing. Started last year I think in August or September. After a series of changes, (easy and inexpensive changes) we are at the point now that the twitching has stopped. She is so much better.

Your video was exactly like what our Kenna was doing, Kenna's was maybe a bit stronger twitch and she had them multiple times per day. I searched the internet for months looking for a video similar to her twitch but your video is the only one that comes close to Kenna's twitch. I couldn't get a good video of Kenna's twitch as they occurred sporadically and only lasted for a few seconds.

I know there is a huge difference with a pup and a 14 year old but maybe something we did may ring a bell for you.
I would be glad to outline our timeline and what we have tried if you would like, but we are not really sure which thing helped or a combo of things....all we do know is she is much better so we just keep doing all of those things. Nancy.

Welcome to Sheltie Nation Nancy and Kenna and I so appreciate your taking the time to post! It’s wonderful and positive to hear that your girl no longer does this!
Absolutely I’d be interested in knowing what you tried. I’ve got Blueberry on a homeopathic anti vaccinosis (this is for 4 days) and a liver detox (30 days) and we go see a holistic vet on Thursday morning (our Tuesday appointment was cancelled by them). I could also mention your treatments to this vet and see what her opinions are.
While her twitching hasn’t gotten any worse it hasn’t decreased...and it’s only when she’s been going for awhile and is getting tired.
 
Thank you for the warm welcome! I will post tomorrow on what we have tried in more detail but I must say I 100% agree with what you are doing so far. I will have to look into detox....I didn't think of detox at the time but I did take her off all chemicals except for a small daily dose of galliprant that she has to have for arthritic pain in her paws, toes and wrists. I am worried about what to do about vaccinations and heartworm and flea control this spring. I'll be talking to my vet about this at her 6 month senior check up next month.

I'll post more tomorrow, but I think the 2 things helping her the most are: getting her off the chemicals that she was on.

The other thing that we believe has made a huge difference is the veterinary chiropractor. We've taken her 3 times in 4 months. After every visit she was better each time, less twitches. The first visit he did 10 adjustments, second visit-8 adjustments and the third visit he only had to do 4 adjustments. She hasn't had a twitch since. We go back in 2 months to keep her aligned and I was shocked he's only $50.00 a visit. Best $50.00 we've spent in a long time! He said shelties do get out of alignment with all the spinning they tend to do. I massage her neck and shoulders alot too because many times the twitching occurred when she was looking up at us. Sometimes before she would fall asleep also.

I'll be thinking of Blueberry - sounds like she is in good capable hands! Nancy.
 
How is that beautiful Blueberry doing today? Love the name!

Some Info:
-Kenna started with mild twitches last Sept.
-In October she had her yearly vaccinations and also a UTI that needed to be treated. That week the twitching got very pronounced and she was also sick from the antibiotics for the UTI. Was giving her unflavored pedialyte for dehydration. UTI cleared up, twitching continued.
-Our vet recommended starting with a veterinary chiropractor because she thought there was maybe some pain involved and if that didn't help to proceed with different avenues.
-The vet chiro did help so we have continued.
-I still give her a bit of unflavored pedialyte daily mainly because of her age and she doesn't always drink enough water.
-I changed her diet- I'm making homemade chicken, rice and carrots and mixing with a little "Pro Plan Bright Mind Senior 7+" and a small amount of Hills high fiber dry dog food. I feed her 3 times a day now, smaller portions to equal her normal ration.
-I massage her neck and shoulders daily.
-My husband does muscle strengthening exercises with her daily that the Chiropractor showed him, to keep her back legs and hind end stronger. They are helping her to move around better, her back end had started to weaken a bit.
-She gets salmon oil daily and cosequin.
-Also for now I have her off heartworm/flea protection until I talk to her vet in March about what to do about that. She seems very very sensitive to chemicals now. She tested "normal/normal" for MDR1.

The twitching gradually got less and less and for now has completely stopped. Hopefully it is gone for good but we will see.

Alot of the above are things that would naturally help a senior dog and I know you are dealing with a pup and could all be completely different.
Just thought I would chime in.

I'll get out of your thread now. I'm going to keep an eye on your posts to see how this all works out for you and Blueberry, maybe something you find out will help us also.

Wishing you all the best, and I think everything will work out for Blueberry! Nancy.
 
Thank you for the warm welcome! I will post tomorrow on what we have tried in more detail but I must say I 100% agree with what you are doing so far. I will have to look into detox....I didn't think of detox at the time but I did take her off all chemicals except for a small daily dose of galliprant that she has to have for arthritic pain in her paws, toes and wrists. I am worried about what to do about vaccinations and heartworm and flea control this spring. I'll be talking to my vet about this at her 6 month senior check up next month.

I'll post more tomorrow, but I think the 2 things helping her the most are: getting her off the chemicals that she was on.

The other thing that we believe has made a huge difference is the veterinary chiropractor. We've taken her 3 times in 4 months. After every visit she was better each time, less twitches. The first visit he did 10 adjustments, second visit-8 adjustments and the third visit he only had to do 4 adjustments. She hasn't had a twitch since. We go back in 2 months to keep her aligned and I was shocked he's only $50.00 a visit. Best $50.00 we've spent in a long time! He said shelties do get out of alignment with all the spinning they tend to do. I massage her neck and shoulders alot too because many times the twitching occurred when she was looking up at us. Sometimes before she would fall asleep also.

I'll be thinking of Blueberry - sounds like she is in good capable hands! Nancy.
Very interesting...thank you so much for this info! I was thinking maybe a pinched nerve, possible treatments acupuncture, chiro or physio..or still an effect from her vaccination..
I would suggest you mention doing titres to your vet before vaccinations.
I hear you about flea and tick meds...fortunately ticks aren’t bad here if your in the city and away from tall grass. I’ll still give heartworm but I avoid tick med if I can.
 
How is that beautiful Blueberry doing today? Love the name!

Some Info:
-Kenna started with mild twitches last Sept.
-In October she had her yearly vaccinations and also a UTI that needed to be treated. That week the twitching got very pronounced and she was also sick from the antibiotics for the UTI. Was giving her unflavored pedialyte for dehydration. UTI cleared up, twitching continued.
-Our vet recommended starting with a veterinary chiropractor because she thought there was maybe some pain involved and if that didn't help to proceed with different avenues.
-The vet chiro did help so we have continued.
-I still give her a bit of unflavored pedialyte daily mainly because of her age and she doesn't always drink enough water.
-I changed her diet- I'm making homemade chicken, rice and carrots and mixing with a little "Pro Plan Bright Mind Senior 7+" and a small amount of Hills high fiber dry dog food. I feed her 3 times a day now, smaller portions to equal her normal ration.
-I massage her neck and shoulders daily.
-My husband does muscle strengthening exercises with her daily that the Chiropractor showed him, to keep her back legs and hind end stronger. They are helping her to move around better, her back end had started to weaken a bit.
-She gets salmon oil daily and cosequin.
-Also for now I have her off heartworm/flea protection until I talk to her vet in March about what to do about that. She seems very very sensitive to chemicals now. She tested "normal/normal" for MDR1.

The twitching gradually got less and less and for now has completely stopped. Hopefully it is gone for good but we will see.

Alot of the above are things that would naturally help a senior dog and I know you are dealing with a pup and could all be completely different.
Just thought I would chime in.

I'll get out of your thread now. I'm going to keep an eye on your posts to see how this all works out for you and Blueberry, maybe something you find out will help us also.

Wishing you all the best, and I think everything will work out for Blueberry! Nancy.
It’s so nice of you to take the time to tell me all this, I so appreciate it!
Blueberry is her normal happy self but still doing the twitching when at rest. She goes to see the holistic vet on Thursday. I’ll definitely mention these things to her and see what she wants to try. It’s so nice to hear that whatever ‘this’ is that your girl has managed to get better!
Thanks again!
 
Back
Top