Vaccinations and Boosters

so, its' really not my intention to start a furball fight. But, here in Philly there have been a recent rash of rabies (feline variety) because of people not vaccinating.

I'm sure the people having to undergo rabies treatment would not appreciate this thread. we vaccinate for everyone's safety. My animals, your animals, your kids, and your neighbors.

I am not too worried about my in-door feline becoming rabid lol. She is De-clawed and literally never goes out so it is one of those situational where you weigh the risks. I have given my dogs each a rabies shot which should last for life. I don't care if the law says every three years, if I have a test that shows immunity, that is good enough for me. I am going to be working on getting a medical exemption passed in my state so we can be legally covered. The point is they have immunity :)
 
Unfortunately, we had a case of an unvaccinated cat that got bit by a bat that had gotten into the house and the bat wound up being rabid and cat had to be pts. This was a preventable situation and the cat was fairly young...I know the rabies laws need to be looked at , but we just live so closely with our dear animal pals that we have to consider the fact that weird stuff can happen. We have had some unusual situations and if someone gets a bite and it is reported then the situation is no longer in our control.
 
Unfortunately, we had a case of an unvaccinated cat that got bit by a bat that had gotten into the house and the bat wound up being rabid and cat had to be pts. This was a preventable situation and the cat was fairly young...I know the rabies laws need to be looked at , but we just live so closely with our dear animal pals that we have to consider the fact that weird stuff can happen. We have had some unusual situations and if someone gets a bite and it is reported then the situation is no longer in our control.

I guess it just boils down to what you feel comfortable doing. My personal belief is the chance of an animal having a bad reaction to the rabies vaccine is greater than a bat getting inside the house...or those other random occurrences. I've seen and heard way more cases of animals suffering from reactions, than I have these "freak accident" stories so I'll stick to what I feel is the lesser of the evils. I don't expect anyone else to live by this rule, of course.

I'll be the one suffering the consequences should that freak accident happen. I can, however, be sure my cat won't do any harm to anyone else as she doesn't go outside so outsiders need not worry about how I take care of my animal that never steps outside as it will have no affect on them.

Obviously with my dogs, who do go out and about sometimes, I'll take different precautions and make sure they do receive one rabies vaccine during their life time and titer them to assure they're immune.

Like I said before, we all do what we feel is best for our animals given the information we take in. We all take it in differently and apply it differently to our lives. I'm not here to judge what someone else does with their animal, nor do I want to be judged. I just want to share the knowledge I've learned, and hopefully learn something from others on here that I can take in and apply to my life and my animal's life.
 
Last edited:
I think you are not alone with worries of reactions and side effects from vx. It IS good to discuss benefits/risks...and I know your little ones have had reactions so you are very thoughtful to warn the rest of us about this.Titers are a great option and give peace of mind ,too.
 
wait....did I miss something? I think I did..Your dog and your cat had a reaction to the rabies vaccine?!? If thats the case im thinking where ever you had it done either administered it incorrectly or it was handled incorrectly...not necessarily than a problem with the vaccine.
 
No, my dogs had a reaction to vaccines but we aren't sure which one. I have never vaccinated my in-door cat because I feel the risks of a reaction are greater than the chances of her contracting something. I have read and seen a lot of reactions in cats, much more so than dogs, actually. The statistics of feline carcinoma at the vaccine injection shot is actually pretty high!

In the future, I plan to only adopt animals who are rescue dogs who will come vaccinated so I don't have to worry about such decisions.
 
The original poster had asked about damage or reactions and this was posted on my Facebook today. It's a Purdue study and I found it to be interesting as it focused on allergies which I think is seen in so many of our furry friends these days. It also lists some other studies all done by credible sources. Just some more information to help you determine the schedule you want to follow:

http://www.naturalrearing.com/coda/a_science_of_vaccine_damage.html
 
...Dr. Shultz...He's a scientist, verses a vet...He seriously knows his stuff.

Wait, what?! Did I miss something? Since when are veterinarians not scientists?

Veterinary medicine is a science. Veterinarians are scientists, working in the field every day instead of the lab.
 
Back
Top