Vibrant pet question

the reasons some say not to eat raw pork is of Trichinellosis, and Pseudorabies

Trichinellosis, also called trichinosis, is caused by eating raw or undercooked meat of animals infected with the larvae of a species of worm called Trichinella. Infection occurs commonly in certain wild carnivorous (meat-eating) animals but may also occur in domestic pigs.


Pseudorabies is a viral disease in swine that is endemic in most parts of the world. It is caused by porcine herpesvirus 1, which is also called pseudorabies virus (PRV) or suid herpesvirus-1 (SHV-1) and is also known as Aujeszky's disease, and in cattle as mad itch. PRV is considered to be the most economically important viral disease of swine in areas where hog cholera has been eradicated.[1] Other domestic and wild mammals, such a cattle, sheep, dogs, raccoons are also susceptible. The disease is usually fatal in these hosts.


I am not sure how much of a risk these diseases pose. I do give my dogs raw pig feet to chew on, I believe it is supposed to be ok if the pork has been frozen. Other than that not eating pork is a religous preference, many religons dont eat pork because it is believed that pigs are dirty animals, since they will eat anything including the waste of other animals.
 
I think Jessica maybe right about those two diseases.

In 2004, domestic swine in the US was declared free of Pseudorabies though the efforts of an eradication program that began I think in 1989. The disease is still present in feral pigs however. I have an undergrad degree in Animal science and pseudorabies was my senior topic.:smile2:

Trichinella is a less comman parasite associated with pigs since federal law banned the feeding of raw meat garbage to swine and the change in handling practices such as freezing but a small risk is still there. Best way around it is to cook the pork. Most cases of trichinella in the US today are from eating raw or undercook game meat rather than pigs according to the CDC.
 
Pork

Well i read on the FROMM website that they use: "Fresh USDA Certified Pork"
in the form of pork and pork meal. so you think this is safe?? Of course I can always not use the pork and applesauce flavor .... but if its safe i can add it to the rotation.

I have heard that there is one kind of disease that can survive the cooking process and can even harm humans.


Horse meat: we all know some foods contain horse meat but I have yet to see the word horse on any bags..... is that part of the suspicious "Meat Meal" in some of the foods??
 
Animal by-product that comes from another country other than the US can have horse meat. The key is never to use a food that contains animal by-products.

And here I go on a little tangent:
The US currently has no slaughter houses that slaughter horses in the US. All horses for slaughter are sent over the borders to Canada and Mexico. I am a horse lover...own an appaloosa....and I kind of cringe at the thought of horse slaughter houses. But....if our country is going to be thoughtlessly sending their horses to auction where they are picked up for slaughter, I would think they would be more humanely killed in the US than in Mexico. If that makes any sense. But this is an entirely different different topic.
 
Horse meat: we all know some foods contain horse meat but I have yet to see the word horse on any bags..... is that part of the suspicious "Meat Meal" in some of the foods??

I asked Eagle Pack about "meat meal". It means that bone is ground in with the (human grade) meat and then water and fat is removed - so it just leaves the protein and minerals. With most manufacturers meat meal can also mean skin, hoofs etc, just with the fat extracted. Which, given that if they were 'in the wild' they would be eating those parts anyway its not as bad as it sounds (thats what I tell myself anyway). I checked at the time and apparently its a term they are required to use by whoever it is that regulates pet foods in the US (because if they use the term 'meat' then it can only be flesh (with the fat and moisture, blood etc).
 
it just seems that everything is soo shady about dog food ingredients!!!

by- products... meat meals.. i would have more respect for them if they just said ... yes we have chicken beaks and cow p e n i s in our dog food . because with a little research and questioning we are going to find out anyway.

I read today (about the grocery store canned foods) that most of the chunks that we think are chunks of meat are really molded chunks of wheat or corn gluten with meat flavor added !!!! I cant say I was shocked but a little surprised. It truly is crap in a can. And I fed my poor departed dog that garbage for 14 years.. GOD BLESS HER for lasting that long on such a horrible diet. I feel like suck an uninformed owner. which is what these companies want you to be.

Well guess what you makers of canned crap !!! I am informed now and on my soapbox preaching the truth to anyone who will listen!!
My poor friends and family are soo tired of me talking about dog food...lol....:uhoh: but i want them to learn from my mistakes!!

Damn good marketing I must say.. you see these dog food commercials and you would think they were made by Gordon Ramsey at a 5 star restaurant.

I believe it is eatable ... i compare it to hmmm... lets see.. I LOVE Burger King... but eat a BK value meal everyday for 14 years and lets see what happens to ya.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I got the vibrant pets yesterday and started it. I just dumped the teaspoon on the dry food and they ate it all. I didn't need to add anything to mix it in.

When I got the jar, I peeled off the top and set it over on the table and all the dogs put their nose it the air and found it. They must have like the way it smelled.:smile2:
 
Back
Top