Wait... what? Puppy?

maybe get Juno a special bowl? I mean, I always think how do they know which one is theirs? Beyond the obvious of it being given to them, the extra differentiation can't hurt.

It's all about patterns and habits, which is why Pico has been getting the towel again when he howls or barks inside. Even if its not an issue or he's not very loud, I don't want him to get used to doing these things.
 
Juno eats in her pen and doesn't get out now until the other two are done. Meadow does kind of put her in her place but she's not a tough dog by nature. It usually ends up with them chasing around. The girls actually have a pretty good relationship but I won't let anyone jump into someone else's bowl. Most of my sets of 3 were fine eating within a small distance of each other in the dining room
Yep always in the kitchen about 3 feet apart. Then came Ian who was used to grazing the puppy bowl so he was casual. I had to hand feed him at first. So naturally the thugfire figured all bowls are MINE! Now they are in the living room for Ian and kitchen for Spitfire.
 
I have two non food aggressive Shelties but I feed them separately in their crates. The female eats slowly so if she doesn't get it done by the time mr big is finished he comes over and helps her clean the bowl..... hence she eats with the door to her crate gently closed-- both are sharing but sometimes that is not good if one is slow and the other very fast.
 
Good suggestions here. I've always fed puppies or new dogs in a crate or pen as you're doing for an extended period of time, like a year, until they get the lay of the land. All of mine eat in the kitchen within a few feet of each other. I put the bowls down in a certain order and they know where and when theirs is coming. It doesn't hurt that the food is generally gone in less than a minute.

However, when one is off their food as Lacey was a while back and eating slowly, the sharks in the group will try to insert themselves into that bowl when theirs is done so oversight is always required. Luckily, we've never had food aggression or any snapping or snarling. Still I like to avoid problems before they occur.
 
Fourteen weeks old today! Still seems like she's growing rapidly. Suddenly she is seeming to be able to hold more volume in her bladder, so no accidents in 2 days. She's been good about pooping outside.
Still get her out every half hour unless she's sleeping. I took her back to the horse barn yesterday and she was not frightened like before. There's no dogs on the property only a few barn cats so I got to practice leash walking with her. Unfortunately, she also discovered horse poop. I don't get why dogs like it; it's only digested hay!

Third set of shots Tuesday, then the countdown to freedom from the petstroller. She's getting pretty rambunctious in there.

Lighting not great this time of year for photos with low sun, but here they are! Trying to get her to hold still for photos is a challenge.

.IMG_3626.jpg

juno 14 fixed.jpg
 
Pico has started sleeping next to me on the couch in the evenings. sometimes his head is on my leg :) but staying in his crate at night or the dog bed by my bed.
I'll take what I can get!

when we are hiking he picks up leaves/burrs/twigs and whenever I pick them out he is so happy he kisses my nose... very cute and sweet.
 
Back
Top