What is most important to you?

What do I look for first and foremost?

The breeder is No. 1 to me. I look for a quality breeder with good lines and a solid reputation. I want to know if they are known by other breeders. I want to talk to the breeder and get a sense that they deeply care where their pets go, and are proud of the lines they produce. I look for a breeder who home raises her/his pups. I check to see what conditions are like, what the home is like, where the other dogs are when I come to visit. Its an added bonus if the breeder has children too, because I know the pups will be handled by young ones early. I want to see Mom and Dad to get an idea of how pups will turn out. I want the breeder to interview me as much as I interview them.

And ideally, the breeder is close to home, so that staying in touch is easy to do.

If I can find the right breeder than my requirements are 80% covered (p.s. I found that TOTALLY with Bacca's breeder (Ruffleith) - she's still totally there for me) And I would certainly wait for one of her's or her co-breeder (Laureate) if I decided it was time for another, before I went anywhere else.

In choosing an individual puppy, once I've found a breeder, I look for personality! I look for the inquisitive puppy, the one who moves towards me to check me out first. And then the hopefully the same puppy will just go into heaven being played and stroked.

Hopefully, the pup is a male. I'm partial to males.

And finally, the "look" factor! Yes, I do want a beautiful dog! How vain! :smile2:
 
This is a super thread and I need to write down all this info. My I am presently on the search for a puppy and know about asking for testing which all of the breeders I have contacted do tests. Two of them that we have visited have had great dogs, great pedigree's just not the tri we are looking for and both houses were filthy and I meam filthy!!
I want a happy, heatlhy well adjusted puppy. What does the term biddable mean in regards to a sheltie I see Phebe used it. I think Janets testing is right on and I have never done that before.
My first sheltie I got from an add in the paper and I pretty much let her pick me and she was a wonderful smart sable girl who lived till she was 13. Maggie came 7 months before we lost Lady and again I got her from an add in the paper, she has been a good dog and will be 13 in December but she has a few quirks, very independant and has never let us put her on her back, hates her belly rubbed but she is a real sweet heart. Our dear Katie came to us from Central Illinois Sheltie rescue at 12 weeks, she was born an hermaprodite and had surgery at 8 weeks old....and at a year old started having issues withe crystals in her urine and was on antibiotics daily all her life. Then her allergies came and she got shots...then it was the cancer and we lost our girl when she was 8 years old. She was a wonderful girl but would at times be standoffish but that could be because Maggie would always want the attention. Sooo now the search starts again this time I want one from a breeder and one that will help us pick the right one, not sure yet if a boy or girl but I know they can't test for every thing but I need one this time that has a good foundation. Sorry I wrote a book here. We do want another tri as far a color goes.
 
Barb that Laurette breeder has some very beautiful dogs and her farm is just awsome, I was looking at her sight yesterday. I want my next one to have a wow factor....along with everything else. LOL
 
What does the term biddable mean in regards to a sheltie I see Phebe used it.

"Biddable" refers, most usually, to willingness to please. It's that wonderful "just let me know what you want, and I'll try my very best!" attitude. Wonderful in any situation, but a boon in Agility, Herding, and Obedience.
 
Barb that Laurette breeder has some very beautiful dogs and her farm is just awsome, I was looking at her sight yesterday. I want my next one to have a wow factor....along with everything else. LOL

My forever pup, Timber, was from Laureate. And Bacca is co-bred by Laureate as well.

Tried and true for sure! But I love Bacca's other co-breeder even more - Ruffleith. They are small but solid. I wish them all the best as they grow.

Pennylyn has been with me all the way as Bacca has grown up. She sends me emails, asking for updates, posts pictures of Bacca. She even took his most recent blood results to her vet for further interpretation. I just love her.

So, when you find yourself a great breeder, latch on and don't let go!
 
Re: biddable -- Tofu has it exactly right, and it's something that is difficult to accurately judge in a young pup. I think you look for a general responsiveness to people and shape that into the eager 'tell me what to do -- now, now, now!'
 
These have been wonderful replys! Something for all of us. There isn't a sheltie in the land that wouldn't be blessed to have any one of you as their companion. Cheers to you all!

I wanted to add something that hasn't been addressed. That is the new "paper registries". CKC instead of Canadian Kennel Club, is Canine Kennel Club. There are many more popping up. So watch when a breeder says the pups have "papers" that it means the AKC or Canadian Kennel Club. The integrity of the breeding program is reflected in the registry. Even if you never choose to register your puppy, you should be comfortable that the standards put forth by the AKC and CKC are adheared to.
 
I wanted to add something that hasn't been addressed. That is the new "paper registries". CKC instead of Canadian Kennel Club, is Canine Kennel Club. There are many more popping up. So watch when a breeder says the pups have "papers" that it means the AKC or Canadian Kennel Club. The integrity of the breeding program is reflected in the registry. Even if you never choose to register your puppy, you should be comfortable that the standards put forth by the AKC and CKC are adheared to.

Thanks for that tid bit of info! I had no idea that there was a Canine Kennel Club! That is good to know.
 
These have been wonderful replys! Something for all of us. There isn't a sheltie in the land that wouldn't be blessed to have any one of you as their companion. Cheers to you all!

I wanted to add something that hasn't been addressed. That is the new "paper registries". CKC instead of Canadian Kennel Club, is Canine Kennel Club. There are many more popping up. So watch when a breeder says the pups have "papers" that it means the AKC or Canadian Kennel Club. The integrity of the breeding program is reflected in the registry. Even if you never choose to register your puppy, you should be comfortable that the standards put forth by the AKC and CKC are adheared to.

Unfortuntately AKC or CKC registry is no longer a guarantee any more. This makes me sad as unsuspecting but well intentioned prospective owners will buy in.

What to do?
 
I have never went out and looked for a puppy. They always seemed to find me.

I met Justice's breeder though work. She is an AKC/UKC obedience/rally judge. She got me into showing and several years later offered me a puppy as she knew I was looking for my next obedience dog. The puppy was the pick conformation/performance dog in the litter, his breeder was willing to keep him if he couldn't find a home willing to show him. I had seen the litter at 6 wk old and had fallen in love that pup. It was his personality that did it. He was friendly but not overly so. He would follow at a distance and run up to you if you knelt down. He looked right in the eye like he was studying you. He was not touch or noise sensitive. He would chase whatever you threw. So I grab him when offered on the phone. I couldn't remember what he looked like other then he was sable with a blaze but his breeder said he was sound.

I picked Ember on color alone. She was a difficult puppy and co bred by my friend. They did not have any homes that they thought would be able to handle her. I wanted a bi blue so I said I take her. But she was head strong ,dramatic, stand offish and very sound and touch sensitive. Not a good combo for an performance dog. Took a long time to bring her around but she is a dream to work with now that her and I have an understanding. Will I take that type of pup again ,NO.

After Ember I made a list of what I would like in my next dog:
1. Would be a good personality. Confident, not touch or sound sensitive. Chased thrown objects. I'd asked the breeder about early handling and environment stimulation.
2. a good front -long upper arm ,good shoudler lay back ,good length of neck. Good oval feet and good patterns
3. moderate length of back
4. Good rear angulation -no straight stifles
5 Health testing -breeder and I would have a long discussion about this. If they said they did the testing I would want to see the paper work.
Most of all the puppy would need to talk to my heart.
Sex,color doesn't matter.

Diva was fit all of this so when she was offered to me, I took her.
 
Back
Top