What is most important to you?

For an agility pup, I want it at 8 weeks. I've gotten older pups, and have found gaps in the type of foundation I want as far as early training and exposure.
By 'type' I don't mean body type. By type, I mean I'm looking for a breeder who consistantly produces driven dogs who are structurally sound, have heart, a want to please type of attitude, and are not sound sensitive. I want the breeder who's dogs are going far in their sport of choice.
The ideal puppy, when I go to look, would be one who is more interested in interacting with me than its' littermates. The pup should be highly food and toy motivated. It should be interested in chasing a toy, playing tug with me, and wanting to bring the toy back when thrown and continuing to interact with me. When presented with new situations/sights/sounds, I want the bold puppy who wants to go check it out, and doesn't run/startle from a new sound. I want the bold puppy who is right there, standing its' ground, ready to approach the sight/sound/situation with curiosity, and enthusiasm. If I were to play with the puppy, and ask for a command, I want the smart puppy, who picks it up quickly, and is ready to try again, and wants to keep working with me. I'd prefer one who will also willingly offer behaviors. I also like to see pups on something like a booja board (yeah, I'm only going to see that if I'm going to someone who also competes in agility) to see how the pup is when it comes to working through a new, and often scary situation. I want the willing pup, who will try it, not the one who acts out fearfully. I'm after the pup who wants to be with me and work with me. All the better if when I'm looking at a litter, that pup continues to try to get my attention while I interact with its' littermates.
If possible, I'd like to do the Volhard puppy aptitude test.
Now, this next part of what I want is my personal preference... You'll find plenty who will not agree, and many who will not want to live with it. However, I do prefer the outgoing, higher energy pup. I do not want the pup who lays quietly around the house. I want the very active pup. It's just my preference when it comes to personality type.
Now, as far as body goes, I want a well angulated front and rear, preferably with a correctly set neck (no ewe neck). A sloping croup is desirable. I'm not bothered by a dog who is a little long, so long as it's not long in the loin. I'd prefer not to have a pup that looks like it's going to be built like a tank.
Secondary for me is size, though it must be one that looks to stay IN size (as I do also show conformation, though agility is my first love). Preferably, the dog looks to finish out between 13-13.75", or 15-16". 14-15" is hardest, as it makes them the smallest dogs in the 16" division. Up to 14" is okay, but I'd really prefer them to be 13-13.75 for the 12" division, considering I do compete in the ISC classes, and would prefer my 14"er not to have to jump 18".
I feel like I have this in the dogs I have now. The two competing are some of the faster dogs in their height divisions around here. They are very driven dogs, and have a lot of heart. They would do anything I asked of them if they thought it would make me happy. I'm also starting flatwork with my 7 month old, and feel she has the same traits. I picked her out of her litter as the most driven, most correct dog, and she always was the one who wanted to be with me more than anything, was quick to learn things, and has a want to please type of attitude. She is not sensitive to sound, and is not phased by new situations. She's been to trials for exposure, and I'm thrilled with the response I've been getting from her. She has a long stride, nice angles, and I feel is built to be quite athletic. She's turning out to be just the right size for me for her height division as well, looking to finish out at 15.75" if she continues on, according to the growth chart, as she is now. Of course, it's really helped with this litter, as it's one I personally bred, and could evaluate from the get go for all of the things I was looking for, and of course had first pick in who I wanted.
 
For an agility pup, I want it at 8 weeks. I've gotten older pups, and have found gaps in the type of foundation I want as far as early training and exposure.
By 'type' I don't mean body type. By type, I mean I'm looking for a breeder who consistantly produces driven dogs who are structurally sound, have heart, a want to please type of attitude, and are not sound sensitive. I want the breeder who's dogs are going far in their sport of choice.
The ideal puppy, when I go to look, would be one who is more interested in interacting with me than its' littermates. The pup should be highly food and toy motivated. It should be interested in chasing a toy, playing tug with me, and wanting to bring the toy back when thrown and continuing to interact with me. When presented with new situations/sights/sounds, I want the bold puppy who wants to go check it out, and doesn't run/startle from a new sound. I want the bold puppy who is right there, standing its' ground, ready to approach the sight/sound/situation with curiosity, and enthusiasm. If I were to play with the puppy, and ask for a command, I want the smart puppy, who picks it up quickly, and is ready to try again, and wants to keep working with me. I'd prefer one who will also willingly offer behaviors. I also like to see pups on something like a booja board (yeah, I'm only going to see that if I'm going to someone who also competes in agility) to see how the pup is when it comes to working through a new, and often scary situation. I want the willing pup, who will try it, not the one who acts out fearfully. I'm after the pup who wants to be with me and work with me. All the better if when I'm looking at a litter, that pup continues to try to get my attention while I interact with its' littermates.
If possible, I'd like to do the Volhard puppy aptitude test.
Now, this next part of what I want is my personal preference... You'll find plenty who will not agree, and many who will not want to live with it. However, I do prefer the outgoing, higher energy pup. I do not want the pup who lays quietly around the house. I want the very active pup. It's just my preference when it comes to personality type.
Now, as far as body goes, I want a well angulated front and rear, preferably with a correctly set neck (no ewe neck). A sloping croup is desirable. I'm not bothered by a dog who is a little long, so long as it's not long in the loin. I'd prefer not to have a pup that looks like it's going to be built like a tank.
Secondary for me is size, though it must be one that looks to stay IN size (as I do also show conformation, though agility is my first love). Preferably, the dog looks to finish out between 13-13.75", or 15-16". 14-15" is hardest, as it makes them the smallest dogs in the 16" division. Up to 14" is okay, but I'd really prefer them to be 13-13.75 for the 12" division, considering I do compete in the ISC classes, and would prefer my 14"er not to have to jump 18".

Wonderful post. Exactly what I want in a dog as a person who does performance events.

Also heart thats the word I was looking for. That can do,let me try quality. Justice has it and that is what is most important to me. A dog I can work with and is willing to work with me.

Diva is great but she has all those qualities, I love but I wish she had more heart. She gives up easily although we are working on it and she is getting better. Unfortunately looks like she is going to be around 14" wish she been 15 like her sister or just a touch smaller. Oh well.
 
Heart's really important. No amount of anything else can make up for a lack of it. I feel like it's key in what has made my first two so successful. It's what has also allowed me to do some of the less traditional performance venues with Athena. She is always willing to try anything just because I ask it (she's done obedience, agility, rally, tracking, herding, lure coursing, dock diving, musical freestyle (started), flyball (just started), disc dog (just started), and weight pull). A dog without the heart, without the extreme want to please, would not be nearly so successful.
 
I'm very picky :) But then, I guess I have to be. I'll be honest, there are very, very few out there that truly fit everything I'm after. Not just any pup can go as far as I need it to go.
 
Heart's really important. No amount of anything else can make up for a lack of it. I feel like it's key in what has made my first two so successful. It's what has also allowed me to do some of the less traditional performance venues with Athena. She is always willing to try anything just because I ask it (she's done obedience, agility, rally, tracking, herding, lure coursing, dock diving, musical freestyle (started), flyball (just started), disc dog (just started), and weight pull). A dog without the heart, without the extreme want to please, would not be nearly so successful.

But how do you find it in such a young pup. :confused2:Diva seemed so similar to Justice as a youngster but she doesn't have his heart. He would throw himself off a cliff if I asked him to, no questions asked. He will try and try until he gets it right for nothing but a pat on the back. What exact qualities would suggest its there in a pup. :smile2:
 
Back
Top