Update
Well, Ally's latest bloodwork came back and the news is not so good. The positive first - her blood protein (albumin) is back to normal, and her creatinine remains 1.7 which is high end of normal. But her BUN is creeping up and the most worrisome is that her urine protein continues to climb.
This is the craziest ride I've been on with a pet's health. She feels so much better, and is acting like her normal self. She is trotting our entire 2 mile walk and even running some to chase her beloved stick, or chase Faith who is also chasing the stick, but faster.

She bounces around if there's a treat coming that she likes, harasses the vacuum, etc. You get the picture.
However, she WILL NOT eat her food. We've tried doctoring it up to no avail. We have had to put 1/2 can of canned food into her mouth twice a day, bit by bit. Her weight is stable now. She's mostly passive about it but she doesn't like it of course. Afterwards, she runs to the fridge for her baby carrots.
My vet suggested trying the appetite stimulant again so I gave it to her last night. Didn't help at all with her dog food, but made her gobble up a few chunks of whole wheat bread. It's just a miserable experience and so stressful for everyone. If she wasn't so outwardly happy and energetic I would question what I'm doing. I did decide today though to try again with the kidney diet and hope her pancreas holds up. I got the K/D chicken stew, which looks like real, human type food with pieces of chicken, carrot and peas. I will add some cooked pasta today because she decided the last few days she'd eat a few noodles.
Ally will normally scarf down ANY food, so I know something is not right. If I can get her to eat, my vet wants me to try again with the benazapril to try and keep her kidneys from leaking so much protein. The one time I tried it about a month ago it made her appetite even WORSE - lots of lip smacking and pulling faces, just like a kid - and also made her lethargic. I am hesitant to try it, but I will likely give her one or two doses and see how it goes now that she's better overall. If it has a negative affect, then screw it. Her last days need to be as happy as they can be, and that's what we've promised her.
In 10 days we will go up to Yosemite to play in the snow and make memories. I'm crying as I type this because I know it's coming.... it's coming.
