Ally is ill

If you haven't tried these yet, something that might work is the little jars of baby food meat...maybe turkey or beef, with a stronger smell, lots of nutrition and easy to digest. Another idea is tripe, which is almost irresistible. You can get it canned for dogs in most good pet food stores. I've also had some luck with canned tuna which has a strong smell. :hugs

Thank you Ann, it sure has been a struggle. Yep, we do have baby food on hand also, the turkey and beef in gravy. We can get her to lick a little off our fingers. OK - tripe - that's new to me. I will have to check that out. I did buy a can of tuna for her at one point but haven't tried that one yet. She does like her fish oil capsules. Thanks for the suggestions, it's so great to pick everyone's brains!! :hugs
 
Sharon, does Ally like cheese...my Pixie is on a super low fat diet due to both her IBD and frequent bouts of pancreatitis and she loves the no fat cheese slices. They are one of her favorite treats and add zero fat to her diet.

Good news on Ally's kidney values!

Trini
 
Sharon, does Ally like cheese...my Pixie is on a super low fat diet due to both her IBD and frequent bouts of pancreatitis and she loves the no fat cheese slices. They are one of her favorite treats and add zero fat to her diet.

Good news on Ally's kidney values!

Trini

Ally used to love cheese - I looked for nonfat cheese at the market and couldn't find any... what brand do you get and where?
 
Sharon, Kraft makes fat free individually wrapped cheese slices...I think you should be able to get them at any fairly large grocery store.

Trini
 
Sharon, Believe it or not, I have used low fat or fat free cottage cheese to get a non eating dog to eat. Skye loved it. I don't know if you could use it for Ally. Syrup, a tiny taste of it, really turned on the appetite.
I know how frustrating and worrisome it can be for a pup not to eat.
Hope you continue to get bits of good news. Maybe she will just dive in tomorrow.
Prayers continue for you and Ally.

Pam and Sunny and Snow
 
More hugs from us up in OR. Glad to hear the numbers are going down. Yay! Bummer about not eating. Boo. Ally, you need to eat!

I have to admit, after living up here, especially with pot being legal, my first thought to nausea was pot. Granted, not legal there, so nevermind. But it's just funny how my brain will go to that now.

Here's hoping the meds work since she seems hungry. It reminds me of when my dad was going through chemo. He was hungry, but the nausea and the fact that things didn't taste right would make him not want to eat. He had to force himself to eat things because he knew he had to. Ally doesn't know any better. I'm glad she's allowing you to force feed her though. That brings back memories of me sitting on the floor for an hour feeding Miko by hand (for awhile, it's the only way he'd eat).

It's always hard to see our pups like this. I was grateful for this board. The support was amazing. More hugs to you, Ally, and the entire gang. :hugs
 
Thanks for asking. It's been very weird and puzzling. After we got lab results last Sunday and got prescriptions for new nausea meds and benazapril, to help stop her kidneys from leaking protein, Monday night she ate her first meal by herself, from her bowl. We were ecstatic. She got the first dose of benazapril that night (it's a vasodilator). I was warned it affected some dogs' appetite.

By the next morning, not only would she not eat ANYTHING but she walked around all morning very restless, smacking her lips like her mouth tasted bad, and not being able to settle. Five steps backwards. I stopped giving her that med immediately. Back to fingerfuls of food placed into her mouth all week.

Today, she ate the food off my fingers, but wouldn't eat out of her bowl. Still, that's much better. She loves her raw baby carrots no matter what, and will eat the occasional dog cookie. Back to the vet a week from Monday to recheck labs.

Crazy thing is, she acts so normally. Still walking, although a little slower. But she'll chase her stick short distances, still has to tell off the vacuum cleaner, comes into the kitchen to see what's doin'. I can't even express how frustrating it is, we have no idea where this is going. She has gained a little weight back so that's great, but having low blood protein and protein in her urine will eventually not go well.

We are determined to carry on as long as she obviously wants to, and right now there's no doubt. Just wish I understood what was happening. The vets think it's her pancreatitis causing the anorexia. It's such a roller coaster that my nerves are shot. :rolleyes2:
 
Sharon, sometimes the side effects of meds can be worse than no meds. Sorry it seemed to set Ally back, but at least she is taking some food from your hand feeding again.

It is incredibly emotionally draining to travel the road you are now on with Ally. But as long as she seems to be enjoying life it is worth it...and hopefully she will still have a good amount of quality time with you.

My heart goes out to you...and to your precious Ally. :hugs

Trini
 
Back
Top