Ally is ill

Trini,
Thank you! No I had not even thought of noodles, so I will give that a try, why not. Kinda like chicken soup for us when we are sick, eh? So funny she will eat dry food like cheerios and a dog cookie, but not dry kibble. It's almost like she wants carbs more than anything right now...

I will let you know how the noodles go over.
 
It's come to this!

Well as mentioned, we have tried literally everything under the sun to feed Ally. I did try Trini's idea of egg noodles - no go. One day all she ate was some dog cookies and jerky strips. Finally, we hit on baby food (duh) and we are able to get her to eat beef or turkey, one small jar at a time. It has to be on our fingers though, she won't eat it on a plate or bowl. So there we are on the floor for 10 - 15 minutes feeding her one fingerful at a time. :cry:

My vet thinks since her numbers are so much improved that it is due to the antibiotic she's on, it's known to cause stomach upset. I am giving her cerenia for nausea, pepcid twice a day, and generic prilosec to try and calm her system down but they don't seem to help too much. I am ready for the antibiotics to be DONE but it's another 10 days. Has to be longer-term for kidney infections.

She also gets SQ fluids still and I am starting a probiotic. I have given her some tramadol for pain as well, I know kidney infections can be painful. It's so sad to see her turn away from her favorite foods and treats. She will get recheck labwork on 12/24 including urinalysis so we'll see what it shows. Today she does seem brighter, and she has been actually doing our regular walks every day which I find amazing. I wouldn't force her of course, but she seems to want to go, and actually trots along. I figure, keeping her routine normal as much as possible is a good thing, right?

I'm so thankful that I used to be a vet tech and am an RN now, otherwise the medical regimen would be overwhelming!

Please continue to keep Ally in your good thoughts, it means so much to me.
 
Sharon...sorry the noodles were a no go...baby food is good and something our vets often use with doggies who are not eating well...so you are right on track with that one.

I know how distressing it is emotionally and how exhausting physically it is to deal with these medical issues in a little senior dog you love so much...she is beyond blessed to have you as her Mom. :hugs

Prayers from here continue for your precious Ally.

Trini
 
Sharon, I will continue to keep both you and dear Ally in my prayers!

I am pleased you are able to get her to eat baby food even if it is a bit difficult to administer. She appreciates you going the extra mile for her! You are truly an outstanding sheltie mom!

Bless you both! Virtual hugs...:hugs
 
So glad to hear Ally seems brighter and has been enjoying her walks. Continued prayers and good thoughts for Ally. As others have said, she is lucky to have you :hugs
 
Well, I go between hope and despair. She has spent all week refusing everything but baby food, and only taking in about 1/3 of the calories she needs. Last night though, I decided to puree the heck out of her old dog food, the lowfat one which she used to like. I added just a little oil and some water. I was able to feed her some of that the last few days, but only about 2 ounces at a time.

She will not eat it from a plate or spoon, turns and walks away. We have to hold her, put the food on our finger, tickle her nose till her tongue comes out, and then she'll lick it. :( At least the dog food is better balanced than straight meat baby food. On a whim, I did try carrot peelings, which she decided she likes again. So she gets those two to three times a day, but not a lot.

Recheck at the vet on Thursday Christmas Eve. Hoping for a Christmas miracle for her. This has been the craziest rollercoaster. I really hope it's just the antibiotics upsetting her but she may need to be on them 2 more weeks.
 
Back
Top