Ally is ill

Update

Well, my little Pipsqueak has lost almost 1.5 lb over about 10 - 14 days. She was 17.5 now 16.2 :( She is now refusing to even lick the food off our fingers. Vet was concerned enough about her condition to stop the antibiotics after 17 days of both Augmentin and Baytril. She feels we hit it pretty hard and it isn't worth continuing if she's wasting away due to the side effects of the antibiotics.

We are now having to put the pureed dog food into her mouth. We've discovered that if we wipe it on the inside of her cheek, she won't spit it out as opposed to putting it on her tongue. The things you learn.... after you are both covered in dog food....

The lab somehow missed the urine specimen for pickup on Thursday so we had to go down again today to have them take another sample. Won't hear till Monday. My vet hopes by tomorrow the drugs will be out of her system and her appetite will pick up. If not, we may have to see an internal medicine specialist - thank God we have a great speciality clinic here in town. They may do an endoscopy to look at her stomach and the beginning of her small intestine. So ironic since one of my jobs is in the Endoscopy dept at the hospital.

The only good thing is, she shows times of spunk still, wants to go for our walks, and we let her set the pace (it's off leash so she can wander). She even barked at the vacuum the other day, so her spirit is still there.

SIGH. I'd give anything for an answer and a simple return of her actually eating food on her own. :sadsmile:
 
Sharon, I hope going off the antibiotics will bring back Ally's appetite. Please give her a gentle hug from me...and many hugs to you too.

Trini
 
I too hope that leaving the antibiotics will help Ally to recover her appetite.

I was wondering earlier if that might be a course of action you might want to take knowing that they can cause a decrease in wanting to eat due to tummy upset. As I am not a doctor I would never wanted to recommend stopping them.
Glad to know your vet thought it might help to stop for now!


I would never have thought to put the food on the side of the inside of her cheek. Great idea. Please do give her a kiss from me and the boys! Hope she feels better soon!:yes:
 
Hooray!

Oh I am SO HAPPY to report that Ally finally started to eat on her own yesterday! OMG - there should be a "happy dance" emoji because that's what was happening here! We held our breath, put her bowl down, and there she went, right over to it and no hesitation or lip licking or smacking. We are still pureeing it because she seems to like licking it rather than chewing or using her teeth to pick it up. She crunched a few baby carrots and some small dog cookies too.

This morning she was much peppier! She trotted off to go potty, and then jumped over the door sill to come back in!!! Oh, the little things in life that mean so much.

We have been coaxing and/or force feeding her for weeks now. I don't know if it's the food - we had tried everything else before, all premium foods that she turned her nose up at. I think she may associate the smell with being nauseated? So out of desperation I bought Trader Joe's lamb and rice canned food. Ingredients are actually lamb broth, lamb, rice, some soy protein, and veggies and vitamins - no glutens or anything too weird. I thought maybe a different protein would spark her appetite. Well, she's liking it so we'll stay with that at least for a while.

We do have an appt tomorrow with an internal medicine specialist that our vet referred us to, we made that Monday when she still wasn't eating, and after talking with my vet yesterday, we're going to keep that appt to get some more insight on how to move forward. My vet thought she might need an endoscopy to see what's going on in her stomach.

She does have some kidney impairment, it's been very low level for years, so hoping to keep it at a reasonable level however we need to.

So glad I could report some good news. :yes:
 
Sharon, when I saw you had posted an update I almost dreaded reading it for fear it would not be good news...but this is WONDERFUL news!!!!!!! Happy tears here for you and your precious Ally!! Best Christmas/New Year's gift possible! :smile2:

Trini
 
JUMPING FOR JOY HERE!!!:winkgrin:

OUTSTANDING NEWS!!! :biggrin2:

I wonder if stopping the antibiotics helped to get her wanting to eat again!

I remember being on one that make me so sick I stopped taking them and felt better immediately! :ick

Hope this is a sign of better times to come!

Happy New Year! :biggrin2:
 
Yay! Happy dance over here!!! So glad to hear she's eating on her own and has more energy. It's hard to watch them being so listless.

Keep us posted about the internal med visit. Hopefully things keep improving. Small steps are good. :)
 
Back
Top