Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Best time to go emergency vet?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Cindy, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Not sure what to make of today so far. He wanted to go to the beach this morning. we went to the local dog area up on the bluffs and he only used his cart to potter around and do his business. we did the rest in his wagon and he had a great time watching all the people and dogs. After getting home, he only ate a few bites and then refused the rest. He has been eating really well for me (at least half of what I make for him) so I am really confused. If he doesn't eat his dinner, I can try some appetite stimulant (we have a few doses leftover from his hospital stay).

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    It is so good to give him fresh air and mental stimulation! The fresh air did him good! Maybe he is just tired? Hopefully, tomorrow his appetite will return since he exerted himself? Thanks for keeping us up to date! ❤️

3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    He ate!
    I am really worried about him getting depressed, so I am trying to get him out as much as possible even is he isn't actually active.
    It has to be so hard on him, falling down so much :(
    He is really tired, on our stroller walk on the way back he was almost always laying on his side.
    I guess just being in the wagon and being pulled was a lot for him.
    I am keeping an activity journal now, so I have a better idea of his hopeful progress.

Sandy in CT, Hanne, Sharon7 and 5 others like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thank goodness!
    I bet he got tired.
    It is great that you are getting him out. I bet it is frustrating for both of you when he is unstable.
    Sure hope you have less frustrations tomorrow!

Sandy in CT, Hanne, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Glad to hear he ate! I guess at his age any activity can be tiring especially after his illness but getting him out for fresh air must’ve lifted his spirits!

Hanne, RikyR and Ron Atkinson like this.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Today Gavin ate his kibble from his bowl! I always have some out for him, but it's been in a different bowl closer to his dog bowl, and he never touched it. Today, I just dumped it in his main food bowl next to his main water bowl before I took a shower, intending to do the hand feeding with some wet food after I finished. I never got the chance :)

He is walking a bit (following me around the house when I'm gone from the room he is in too long). He still had a poop fail (He twists himself by walking around in a tight circle). But still some progress.

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    That's great news, Cindy! Any progress is a big plus. I'm so glad to hear Gavin had a good day!

Piper's mom, ghggp, Hanne and 2 others like this.
  8. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Way to go. !! What a good boy Gavin. Did we get yummy wet food as dessert? :) Congratulations Mom you are awesome..

Piper's mom, Ann, ghggp and 3 others like this.
  9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    His dinner was hand fed with wet food. He had a good day, walking a bit around the apartment. Still sleeping and ending up on his butt a bit, but his peeing is really good and his pooping is getting a bit better.

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Sounds like progress to me. Gavin just keeps on keepin' on, what a love.

Piper's mom, Ann, ghggp and 2 others like this.