Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Coat density question

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by ghggp, Nov 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Also think you just have to wait a bit
    Here is Minnie as 14 months.
    Minnie 14 mdr..jpg
    and here as 20 months.
    Minnie 20 mdr..jpg

DianeP, Calliesmom and ghggp like this.
  2. pomshe

pomshe Forums Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    My Jesse is close to 21 months old and in just the last month has put on a lot of undercoat. He blew his coat about 2 months ago and I thought he was going to be more of a sleek coated sheltie, but all of the sudden he puffed right up! I actually thought he was putting on weight, but when I felt him it was all undercoat. I hope it is not an indication of what this winter is going to be like! Maybe Liam is just getting ready to grow in his undercoat for winter.

Calliesmom and ghggp like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Didn’t you mention Liam and Finnie are related distantly??
    I bet he will coat up as you live so much farther north than us! I sure hope Liam will coat up. Since he is not fixed yet. Next month probably. Hope that does not impact his coat!

Calliesmom likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow, that is quite a difference! Minnie sure has beautiful scenery to roam! Thanks for sharing the comparison pictures. Love her fluffy tail.

Hanne, Calliesmom and Sandy in CT like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Is Jessie fixed yet? I sure hope he follows Jessie’s lead! I love fluffy shelties! More to hug!

Calliesmom likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I was brushing Finnie tonight and I noticed that he's got a lot of undercoat coming in, he's got about 3" of growth on the sides, his fur on his legs is long and his mane....well, it's just the thickest and most luxurious and when he walks it's close to the ground! He's got SO much fur there that he almost needs a bib to keep it clean when he eats! He's just over 21 months (I gotta say, I was beginning to think he'd NEVER coat up, even with our cold winters!))
    He's going to get a big big big brushing tomorrow evening (not much else to do in a hotel room lol) and I'll try to get a good picture of him.
    Liam will coat up soon, before you know it you'll be cursing all the fur lol.

7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Yes, think being so privileged - when we are in our summer house
    - we can go our morning walks and almost have a whole beach to ourselves :wink2:

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks Lisa for letting me know all is not lost in regards to Liam’s coat! Laddie never had a lush coat. My vet recommended I fix him at 6 months so I assumed that was why he never developed a full lush coat all his life. I purposely am waiting for 18 months to fix Liam not wanting a repeat.

Yes, please do take a picture of Finnie! Hope springs eternal!!!

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  9. pomshe

pomshe Forums Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Jesse was neutered at the beginning of July, so he was 17 months old then. I wanted to wait a little longer, but he would not leave my little pom girl (who is spayed) alone.:cautious:

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thank goodness Liam is so submissive! He does not try to mount or harass Baron or Beau... then again, being males I am sure he does not want to get into an altercation with them. The most he will do is lay his snout on their shoulders poking them with his snout to engage play.

You did the right thing!

Calliesmom likes this.