Cost for Grooming?

I was considering using the groomer inside the (evil) vet's office at one time. Then her and I got into an argument, and I decided it would be best if I not leave my dog in her care. :uhoh:

I had heard more than a few horror stories on here where some of you had your sheltie shaved. I wanted somebody I could trust not to shave my sheltie. So it just kind of made sense to me to go to the kennel club's webpage and ask one of their sheltie breeders if she knew of a good groomer in the area who would not shave a sheltie. She told me she didn't groom, but her daughter did. So after Smudge met her 4 shelties and 2 collies he got groomed. :biggrin2: She said she didn't consider herself professional, and so she would only charge $20. I did, however, give her a nice tip. I was late because I had a flat tire, and then it took me over an hour to find her house. So I felt bad about that. :uhoh:
 
Well, this is an eye-opener! I had no idea what it cost. Somehow I manage to do all the dogs that were whelped here over the years, at least twice a year. It gives me a chance to catch up with the owners, and see how the dogs are maturing. So, it seems like every spring and fall, I'm doing dogs almost every day. I have never thought of charging the owners. So many of the owners have become friends, that sometimes I give them lunch, LOL! Really, I love to see the dogs, and hear the stories, right Ann, Lightplum and Patty?
I do tell people that have to go to the groomer, just get your dog bathed. Then you learn how to trim yourself. You will much happier with the results and the cost.
 
I do tell people that have to go to the groomer, just get your dog bathed. Then you learn how to trim yourself. You will much happier with the results and the cost.

That's why I like my groomer. :biggrin2: She is teaching me how to do it myself. I would probably still go to her for a dog bath though. You just can't beat having four shelties and two collies for your dog to play with. :yes:
 
where i work at for a bath, and foot trim, nail trim, good brushing, ears cleaned out, and good brushing starts at $23
all of that PLUS shaving the belly and making a poop chute starts at $25
Prices do go up with size, how thick the hair is, if the dog is really matted or dirty.
we use soap free all natural shampoos and conditioners. your dog will leave with a bandanna too!
 
I get Edan groomed (including nails and teeth brushed) every 2 months for $46.00.

One thing to keep in mind when comparing prices is the cost of living differences between the places we live. I know there is a DEFINITE cost of living difference between Pittsburgh and the "East Coast" (New York City, Philadelphia, Newark) - usually about 30%-40% higher in Philly than Pittsburgh for example. (For example, I've price compared show tickets between Philly and Pittsburgh so my Mom and I could go to shows together. Pittsburgh's always about 40% cheaper.)

I am not surprised the cost to have a dog groomed in Delaware is a little higher than what I pay in Pittsburgh. Given the cost of living differences, $60 sounds about right.
 
Grooming

I am very lucky to have my breeder do my dogs and she does everything for $30.00 each dog and she is only 20 minutes from me. To go else where it is like 50 to 60 dollars.
 
My answer to the original question: $40 each for grooming.

My response to taking Bailey and Joey for grooming: NEVER AGAIN!!!
Maybe for baths and nail trims, but not for trimming.

I took them to a groomer just before Thanksgiving to have them "prettied up" for the holidays and when I picked them up I was horrified. The "groomer" chopped off their beautiful fur all around their heads and by chopped, I mean chopped. Hacked off. All around their ears, front, side and back. It's going to take forever for their fur to grow back.

Connie (Missjenneygirl) helped me fix them up as best she could (there wasn't much left to work with) when we visited her in CT just after Thanksgiving and she was very kind--she assured me that their fur would grow back and didn't even chastise me for taking them to such a terrible groomer.

I got some good grooming tips from Connie (show and tell, she taught me how to brush and trim while she was fixing them up) and I am going to try to do it myself from now on, once I get the grooming table she recommended for me that I ordered from the PetEdge catalogue (from Santa!). I'll probably still ask Connie for a check-up on how I'm doing whenever I see her. And Connie's right, she not only offers to groom them, she offers to feed us too!!
 
We always paid 35$ for Cleveland and the young woman did a beautiful job on him. She was heartbroken when I called her and told her that he had gone to the bridge. We sat on the phone and just cried together...............okkk enough of that. I have days still when I miss that little furball like it was just yesterday............

MissJennyGirl has been taking care of MMM........well until last week, when I decided to have a go at his ears!!! That hair IN FRONT of his ears.............Well.............it will grow back!:rolleyes2::uhoh::eek2:
 
Back
Top