Cost for Grooming?

i get someone (usually my boss) to hold the dog, and we do it no matter what the dog/puppy does.
if we were to stop when the dog acted up, then the dog would know that if it acts that way then we will stop and we will always have issues with it.
we will even muzzle if we have to. After this the next time the dog comes in, its like a different dog! it is like it knows that we will do this no matter what, and gets over it.

the only exception is HUGE dogs. even with a muzzle on they can still do lots of damage to you, and me or my boss neither one can hold a 100lbs dog back! so if a huge dog does not want its nails done, its a possibility that it will not get them done! but most big dogs are great for their nails, and great to groom! (thank goodness!)
 
I am interested to hear so many bad things about PetSmart! I have heard some good things about it but may think twice now.

We haven't found the need for a groomer yet... have done home baths, brushe, and trims so far. Luckily my great aunt used to be a breeder so she taught me Sheltie grooming basics. Puppies do look very handsome when they come back from the groomer's, but it is so expensive and I am just a little bit paranoid.

Ruckusluver, I am wondering, since you are the expert: Do you think owners should be paranoid/cautious about bringing pets to the groomer? Or should they just relax? Any things to watch out for?

Missjennygirl, I think it is great that you meet up with your puppies and groom them each year! That is very nice of you and I am sure the owners truly appreciate it.
 
I really do wish people in the dog industry (grooming, vet care, dog sitters, dog walkers, trainers, pet stores, boarding kennels, ect.) would realize that pets are often times a word of mouth business. :rolleyes2:

You can go to the official PetSmart page on Facebook. People are ALWAYS telling horror stories about how their dog was treated.

I do understand that some dogs can be a hassel to groom. I've got one of them. He thinks grooming is a fun game, and how dare ME for taking away his new chew toy (my expensive dog brush! :sadsmile:). Having a rowdy dog is never an excuse for a sheltie being shaved. Ever.
 
For all of you that want to do you own grooming, besides having the ultimate brush that everyone thinks will make all the difference in the world, invest your money in a grooming table. It is not a luxury item. It is the essential part of effective, time saving, dog behaving, grooming. Think of it this way, if you try to groom the dog on the floor, you are in his space, and it becomes a game. He can move much faster then you. This is annoying. By using a table, he learns to stand still, and you can really see what you are working on. There is a reason vet's examine on a table. It lets you examine your dog the same way............all nooks and crannies. At Petedge, you can get a table with an arm for $69-99. Depending on the size you want. If you have a smaller sheltie, you can choose the 18x30. If you have a larger sheltie, or would like to put your tools on the table with you, get the 24x36. They fold up out of the way when not in use. Ask for one for Christmas!
 
I do not understand how you cut a maltipoo uneven. its a guard that snaps onto the clippers. you cannot get them uneven! maybe she was hand scissoring for some reason? and how do you ruin a coat by an uneven cut? I swear in a month you will probably not be able to tell anyway.

sorry guys! dog groomer here, so it gets a bit personal! :razz:

I did'nt see the dog,all I heard was her telling me how aweful the pup looked.Since she knew us well,she asked me if I knew a groomer that we liked or had used in the past. She did mention that she also paid to much for how aweful the dog looked.
Oh not to worry,I actually enjoy reading your posts about grooming,as I have lots to learn.

I do think for you as the groomer,I am sure you have had many clients(dogs) that are difficult to groom,and you have seen & handled your share of dogs with personality issues. Your job is not an easy one,that I am sure of.
Thank you for what you have added to this thread~
 
Grooming prices in my area start at $25.00 and up. It depends on the size of the dog and what condition it is. If the gromer needs to do a lot of work the price is higher. I used to pay $40.00 for my Golden Retriever and she was huge(95#). She was always well brushed so it was basically just a bath and foot trim.

None of my shelties have ever been to the groomer and I'm with Barb if they ever do go it will be a bath only. I'm blessed that all of my shelties have been very good about being groomed. All of them, except Baxter, I've gotten as little pups and they were brushed and bathed regularly from day one. They loved being brushed and though not terribly happy with a bath :eek2: tolerated it.

Baxter's former family must have been good about upkeep because does very well with it too.. He loves being brushed and will come running when the brush comes out and push Fergus out of the way so he can be first.
 
its important to find a good groomer. Ask about how long they have been grooming. have them take you an a tour of the grooming shop, before making your appointment. Take a tour at the beginning of the week so they are not so busy. ask how often they clean. do they know canine cpr? For the most part owners are waaay to paranoid about leaving their pooch at the groomer. in some situations i understand. I am glad that I groom, because I would HATE to have to take Ruckus to be groomed. I wouldnt do it. Ruckus is unpredictable, he has bitten before, and he is scared of most anything at the shop (the dryer, clippers (for belly shaves) nail trimmers, and scissors). Ruckus needs to be handled in a very calm way to get anything but trouble out of him. since he is a bit of a special needs case, i wouldnt leave him at the groomers.

normal things that you will see at the groomer is hair laying around. some is normal, but it shouldnt be massive amount! Dogs will be in cages, and more than likey barking their heads off when they see you! These dogs are usually just glad to see someone who might give them attention. it might also smell a little like wet dog. well, its a dog grooming shop and having a wet dog is kinda common LOL! When people bring us in those big outside dogs for a bath, it smells strait up like wet dog no matter what shampoo i use! those dogs that stay in the house do not smell like wet dog when they are wet.

A groomer might have a dog in a grooming loop (goes around the dogs neck) while on the table. It is more dangerous to NOT use on, than to use one. lots of dogs will try to jump off of the table, but if they have the loop on they do not even try. you do not need a little 4lb yorkie jumping off the table and breaking his leg.

if you come in and talk to the groomer, the groomer should never leave a dog on the table or in the bath tub. if they do, walk the other way.
 
Pet Edge coupon

If anyone is interested in ordering a grooming table from Pet Edge, I found a coupon code for 5% off: the code is BRNB. Cheers!
 
Back
Top