Deska banned from classes

I agree with getting the letters from the vet and the specialist if possible.

Have you discussed Deska's issues with the instructors before, or are they just aware he has had a problem?

In some respects, while I think they are wrong in this case, I can see they must have times when people are running dogs when the dog is not fit and they have to make such decisions.

But I would expect to have the matter carefully discussed with me, not just a decision thrust on me.:no:

I hope you can resolve this.
 
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the instructors but glad he had fun today. As usual I had on Animal Planet this morning and they had on a dog who was told he didn't qualify to do agility because he has 3 legs. He now is a Frisbee champion. But it got me thinking, now keep in mind I know nothing about agility except the videos I watch of my sisters Labs so I don't know what it would take but wouldn't it be neat if someone started an Agility League for Disabled Dogs ? Similar to the Special Olympics. Just a thought. :smile2:

I think this is a BEAUTIFUL idea! Just think of all the publicity it could get too ;-)..
 
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the instructors but glad he had fun today. As usual I had on Animal Planet this morning and they had on a dog who was told he didn't qualify to do agility because he has 3 legs. He now is a Frisbee champion. But it got me thinking, now keep in mind I know nothing about agility except the videos I watch of my sisters Labs so I don't know what it would take but wouldn't it be neat if someone started an Agility League for Disabled Dogs ? Similar to the Special Olympics. Just a thought. :smile2:

I remember seeing a show about a three legged dog on animal planet. If I remember right that same dog has won awards for his job. They hold him to the same standard as the other dogs.

When we were in elementary school some of the teachers from school called my Mom in and told them that Julie was too stupid to ever learn how to read. Yes, they actually said this! It enraged my Mom to say the least. By the time we had graduated high school Julie had won more awards for literature, reading, and history than anybody in our class. For the record it was not special education learning, either. Nobody would give her a chance because she was hyper active. Maybe if they would have taken the time to learn something about her they would have found out some of the reasons why. My mom would not give up on her, and before it was all over with they had nothing to say because Julie put them in their place! By the time we were in middle school instead of playing on the play ground with the other kids Julie could be found sitting on the swingset reading a book (usually I would be beside her doing the same). Some of her favorites were the Babysitter's Club series. She had the highest score in Geogrpahy, AP Geography, World History, ect. out of all the kids in the class. She even gloated and rubbed it in when she did better than me!

Do not limit yourself because somebody tells you that you can't. The only person who holds you back is you.
 
Well said Jessica. That's why I think all these dogs no one will let compete should have their own league with the same standards to show all these idiots they are just as good as the other dogs if not better. Oh and also so owners of these dogs can show instructors like Deska's they kick butt and have no limits.
 
Caro, I'm so sorry to hear about the decision made regarding Deska. I agree that it is not their place to make such a decision, especially without consulting you, his vet, a specialist, etc... I would be furious.

I hope that you can get your vet to write a letter to your club. I really hope the same doesn't happen for flyball.

If it does, I agree--find another club.
 
Do not limit yourself because somebody tells you that you can't. The only person who holds you back is you.
Very well said Jessica:yes:

Before I had Cadbury I was told I had no hope doing obedience and agility with a choc lab. That choc labs were crazy and I was mad.

Well, we now do obedience and agility and I still have hopes of entering comps. And on a regular basis Cadbury is remarked on how calm he is.
 
Caro..... I agree letters from the Dr's are in order. They have no right to tell you that Deska can't do agilty. Very unfair along with those crappy neighbors you have. Geesh
 
Is it club? is it private organization? You need to find out who makes real laws there, armor yourself with letters, possibly even printouts info on other " disabled" dogs as was mentioned above and bring it all to the board meeting or to the people who really make the law at your group. Am sure you can present it as rehabilitative effort so to speak. Flattery about possibility making a good news story how open minded the board is for letting dogs with "disabilities" enjoy their life might help too.
Offer to sign some release form that you are not going to hold anyone responsible for any additional injuries or worsening condition of Deska might help too.
I would not be surprised that it is all making of some overzealous stupid idiot and majority of people at the club are not aware of it.
 
Its a not-for-profit club. Elections are held next month - so guess who's going to run for a position! I think I might have to become an instructor too so I can get a key to the equipment shed.

Agility in Canberra is a pretty tight knit group so changing clubs wont help. Most agility people know Deska has a problem because he came up lame after a couple of trials earlier in the year. I have let him do a 'fun run' at a couple of trials lately, which I am sure peeves off the 'serious' agility people. Ironically I had slowed down with agility, but have been trialling more since Tully's Flyball disaster to build her confidence. Yesterday Tully's flyball team captain said she will probably be back on the team from September.

I've pulled out the specialist report to take tonight and have left a message with the vet's nurse to get a letter when he gets back. I really hope it will be enough.
 
Back
Top