I am spitting bullets here! Toy Shelties? Bah!

I agree Barb!! Who cares if we talked about it before? There is new info, links and new members! It's all good! You can always choose not to partake in the new thread. I see no reason to call people out. It is not polite at all.

oh for the love of pete I just posted it as a reference to the thread..:rolleyes2: no need to get all up in arms over it...ITS a reference if you chose not read it no big deal..sheesh...

Anyway moving back to the thread...I dont see how they are consistently getting the smaller size because while some in the litter may be small there are way too many outcrosses popping up in the breed of shelties because its such a new breed...and I may add they get quite ugly looking when they are breeding for undersize as Dr Shelli and Rachael posted their heads get all domey and they get bug eyes!!!:dead: not a pretty endearing sheltie expression...
 
Definitely out to make $$. Simply "legitimizing" the "toy sheltie" with the "Toy Sheltie Club". She's breeding "Poshies" or Pom x Sheltie crosses!!

I say she because I found the name of the lady who registered the website and runs this farm. Her FB shows she lives in Fort Mill, South Carolina.

There are these strange awards for Ethical Breeder and Quality Breeder issued by dubious groups on that website. Those who don't know better will surely buy into that crap.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely breeding for money :( Puppies are $1000-$1500, which is as much as a nice show quality pup from a GOOD breeder.
Poshies... yuck :P I am NOT a fan of anyone breeding for mutts intentionally and labeling them as designer breeds.
I noticed a good number of the dogs she has produced didn't mature out to the petite sizes she claims they should be :x I'm not at all surprised, given we fight for the correct size out of two correctly sized parents and still wind up with those that go over and under. She is taking what is probably just one undersize dog out of otherwise normal sized parents and thinking she's going to get all 'toys'.
 
"Poshies"?? They can't be serious :rolleyes2:

Yeah, no kidding! that was another breeder we came across in our search. im not a big fan of Poms, so i really dont like how these look. They have the body/head shape of a pom with the coat/coloring of a sheltie. at least that is what i see.
I would post the link but i dont want to get into trouble for it
 
You have to see this website!

They make it sound so "scientific"....they even post the growth charts as confirmation as the breeding program.

http://foxpointfarm.com/sheltie_size1.htm

I'm speechless (and you know for me that would take alot!) :mad::mad:
I have been to this website before, and have read all their information. UGGHH!!!
I wanted to email the breeder who owns this foxpoint farm, but I didn't. If you read EVERYTHING on these website pages, you will get even angrier, Barb!! There is some propaganda and their prices are way too high, it is suspicious.
 
I think many small (toy) breeds also suffer from higher levels of dental problems becuase basically their heads are too small for their teeth, so deliberatly minaturising a breed (and altering the head shape) is not without implications, in the way as delieratly breeding giants.

I didn't read the bit where she said she was doing it so shelties could live in the home......:confused2::eek2: ...speechless:mad:
 
Of course, its all crap.....

But I think the bigger question is what can be done about this?

Everyone here on the forum is pretty much educated on the Sheltie breed. I really fear about those don't know better and buy dogs on Kiijii, not knowing truly what they are buying.

I read an article yesterday that large Pet store are starting to discontinue the sale of cats and dogs in their stores. At first blush, I say, fantastic! But when you read their reasoning behind it....it's because of the abundance of dogs available for sale on Kiijii. The pet stores can't compete. So now there is virtually NO regulation.

So it comes down to education and buyer beware. How do we educate the general public that these are not desirable pups? I don't know the answer, but I do know that Shelties are soon going to become the next "toy" breed unless we find a way to stop it.

Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir here, but I really do see the danger to our breed. Everyone I meet who sees my dogs say how gorgeous they are.... and many say but too bad they weren't smaller.....and I don't mean conformation size....they want mini-Shelties!
 
I found Emma on Kijiji from a very reputable breeder. There are an abundance of problem breeders out there but there are also very good breeders who do use this type of advertising.
 
Back
Top