I am spitting bullets here! Toy Shelties? Bah!

I found Emma on Kijiji from a very reputable breeder. There are an abundance of problem breeders out there but there are also very good breeders who do use this type of advertising.

True, but you are an educated sheltie person. What about the others who are not?
 
I closed the site after reading this phrase:
If you are looking for a super outgoing, friendly (not yappy), stuffed toy who is super athletic and fun - Gracie might be the mom of your next family member!
Stuffed toy? Seriously?
 
I recently helped to rehome a sheltie. He weighs only 4.2kg... and 2yrs old already. == Tiny thing!! We don't know where he came from, some very irresponsible puppy mill probably...
 
Actually this thread irks me quite a bit.
Shelties NATURALLY come in a WIDE range of sizes. I happen to live with an incredible range of sheltie sizes from 6.5 lbs to 32 lbs; yeah from really small to oversized. They are all healthy. They are all happy. The vet is THRILLED with each and every one of them at every check up and YES they go regularly.

Pay more attention to the living conditions of shelties that you see; their care, their socialization, their health; the dedication and love from their families.

I don't see a thread whining about the LARGE shelties that are produced by breeders; ALL BREEDERS...show, performance, companion. It is very difficult to predict sheltie size. Please don't automatically assume that any sheltie is a product of dire circumstances.

PETA and similar organizations are all lined up ready to get rid of show breeders, performance breeders, heck anyone that "owns" a dog. (I happen to think that mine "own" me). Let's not help them any with their crazy agendas.
 
Actually this thread irks me quite a bit.
Shelties NATURALLY come in a WIDE range of sizes. I happen to live with an incredible range of sheltie sizes from 6.5 lbs to 32 lbs; yeah from really small to oversized. They are all healthy. They are all happy. The vet is THRILLED with each and every one of them at every check up and YES they go regularly.

Pay more attention to the living conditions of shelties that you see; their care, their socialization, their health; the dedication and love from their families.

I don't see a thread whining about the LARGE shelties that are produced by breeders; ALL BREEDERS...show, performance, companion. It is very difficult to predict sheltie size. Please don't automatically assume that any sheltie is a product of dire circumstances.

PETA and similar organizations are all lined up ready to get rid of show breeders, performance breeders, heck anyone that "owns" a dog. (I happen to think that mine "own" me). Let's not help them any with their crazy agendas.

The comments that the little shelties likely came from an irresponsible puppy mill and don't make good pets irked me too and I agree with you and said as much earlier in this thread.

No small shelties do not always come from irresponsible breeders. Heck my Birch has a littersister who is currently 2" shorter than him and will be lucky to make size while he himself is an oversize risk. She was sold on a spay contact as a pet. She will be spayed because she doesn't meet the standard in many ways not just height. She has all the characteristics you normally see in undersize shelties already.

It is the purposeful breeding of small shelties I object to. I would feel the same about purposeful breeding of oversize ones. The standard should always be our goal and like it or not in the US it is 13-16". But lets face with shelties it doesn't always happen. If Birch goes over and doesn't settle back to under 16" by 18 months. I will neuter him and he will not be breed. He will still be a darn good pet.
 
Actually this thread irks me quite a bit.
Shelties NATURALLY come in a WIDE range of sizes. I happen to live with an incredible range of sheltie sizes from 6.5 lbs to 32 lbs; yeah from really small to oversized. They are all healthy. They are all happy. The vet is THRILLED with each and every one of them at every check up and YES they go regularly.

Pay more attention to the living conditions of shelties that you see; their care, their socialization, their health; the dedication and love from their families.

I don't see a thread whining about the LARGE shelties that are produced by breeders; ALL BREEDERS...show, performance, companion. It is very difficult to predict sheltie size. Please don't automatically assume that any sheltie is a product of dire circumstances.

PETA and similar organizations are all lined up ready to get rid of show breeders, performance breeders, heck anyone that "owns" a dog. (I happen to think that mine "own" me). Let's not help them any with their crazy agendas.


No one is saying there is anything wrong with the sizes of shelties, well technically speaking..(ask a breeder and its one of the huge heart breakes in this breed)... however, from a pet standpoint small, medium, large..etc the breed is new there are going to be throwbacks to size all over the place...its a fact in this lovely breed we do not have per-say size controlled down to a science...its getting better but still has some variables...what iks the majority of the people in this thread, is that people are "marketing" the smaller shelties as tea-cup new designer breed...when infact its impossible to breed constantly smaller shelties, and than to make up a club and have no set standard, or ethics is alarming!

This breed does not like poodles have 3 size standards, there is one size standard 13-16" anything in between those size limits is within the standard, above and below are not.

You dogs may be healthy but when you start trying to small down a breed that is not meant to be miniaturized, you can end up with eye problems, joint issues..etc...
 
Actually this thread irks me quite a bit.
Shelties NATURALLY come in a WIDE range of sizes. I happen to live with an incredible range of sheltie sizes from 6.5 lbs to 32 lbs; yeah from really small to oversized. They are all healthy. They are all happy. The vet is THRILLED with each and every one of them at every check up and YES they go regularly.

Pay more attention to the living conditions of shelties that you see; their care, their socialization, their health; the dedication and love from their families.

I don't see a thread whining about the LARGE shelties that are produced by breeders; ALL BREEDERS...show, performance, companion. It is very difficult to predict sheltie size. Please don't automatically assume that any sheltie is a product of dire circumstances.

PETA and similar organizations are all lined up ready to get rid of show breeders, performance breeders, heck anyone that "owns" a dog. (I happen to think that mine "own" me). Let's not help them any with their crazy agendas.

Granite, I think you missed the point of the thread. The point of the thread was discussing breeders who purposely breed for small shelties that are not within the standard.

In regards to your statement about "don't see a thread whining about large shelties" you are very correct. You never hear of breeders purposely breeding outside the standard purposely to get large shelties. So, you would be hard up to find a thread "whining" about large shelties purposely being bred for their large size.

I do believe this thread was started to discuss breeders of shelties that are NOT in the breed standard for size purposely to get "toy" sized shelties. It is a "fad" thing and "fads" in my opinion are never good for the breed.
 
Last edited:
Danielle and Lightplum
.
You are absolutely correct.....this thread was not about throwbacks at all. They happen

My Timber was a Laureate pup but undersized, and for that reason I was honoured to own him as a companion pup. But his lineage was impeccable.

And neither was this thread about BYB's. We have some amazing dogs on the forum that do not come from "pedigree" lines.

This thread IS about breeders that purposefully try to breed outside the standard to create "new" standards....i.e. mini or toys (or colour, for that matter).....to satisfy a public that doesn't know any better and the health issues associated with poorly informed breeding.

Hope this clarifies what I was trying to start a conversation about.
 
Back
Top