I am spitting bullets here! Toy Shelties? Bah!

Could a mini sheltie herd sheep? I thought dogs were bred to do or perform. Now it is how they look. I think puppy mills do a lot of this bad breeding. Anything to get a new gimmick to buy a novelty. I sure hope the AKC isn't supporting this practice.

Can conformation Shelties herd sheep? (the answer is generally no)

AKC is simply a registry, they maintain the records, just like the DMV. They try to curb the worst with inspections and rules, but by no means does "AKC registered" mean "meets the standard and does what we designed the breed to do."
 
btw....I had also posted links for breeders of these "mini-Shelties" but they were filtered out. Sorry, moderators! Good catch!

No prob, Barb. Our thinking is that we don't want to give these breeders any more business than they already have... remember that saying, "All press is good press"?

Play on, folks!
 
I just found a toy sheltie on Indiana Sheltie Rescue facebook page. Amber weighs 12 lbs. And height is 13 inches.
Is it a toy or a runt? Spitfire has in size parents but might not get that big. There was no intent on making him small, just the opposite he is a 'reject' or a pet quality :lol: Sca likes him though
 
Back
Top