Is it normal for you to not meet your new puppy until day you bring it home?

I don't think it's unusual for breeders to ask for a deposit to hold a puppy, at least in my area. Some breeders are very particular about their dogs. They know their dogs are good quality and they can afford to set the adoption terms. If you know that you are dealing with a reputable breeder I don't think you need to be concerned, even if you aren't able to see the puppy. Our puppy was the smallest and shyest of the litter, the poorest prospect, and we had our doubts about our choice, but now that she is a year old, you can really see the quality of the breeding. I'm really amazed at how she has blossomed, and I credit her breeder.

Also, my experience has been that males are easier to housebreak.
 
"I am due to retire this summer"
THere's your selling point to the 8 hours away breeder. I'd send an email, stressing that point and perhaps showing her the home environment the puppy will enjoy. Not too long, perhaps add your plans for training, activities, etc.
 
I find it strange that the breeder would give you a puppy without meeting a future owner in person. At least in Europe they usualy won't consider you as a serious candidate for their puppy if you won't come and meet them all. I have my first sheltie and the road to getting her was very stressful. I was the last that asked for a puppy so I had the least chance but the breeder told me she won't give decide who will get a puppy until she personaly meets all the possible owners and I visited her the last. She wanted to meet my first dog too. I had lots of questions to answer her and I had to tell all my plans ecc. After two days she asked if I realy wanted the puppy (she was more active than I expected) but of course I said yes. And in a week time we had to pay half the price to hold the puppy, the second half we gave at the day we picked the puppy. Oh I almost forgot usualy she brings the puppy to your home, no matter how far you live, but because of some serious health problems of a family member we went to her.. I could't wish for a better breeder, she even made a book with all instructions for the future owners(and she translated it all for me in english) and all the equipment for the puppy. I mean I didn't need to buy her anything she gave us all :eek2:. We have yearly picnics of all litters together:yes:
I train agility with her and she absolutely crazy about it so it was a good decision for taking the crazy puppy:winkgrin:. But the begining was hard she couldn't calm down.
I have my favorite colour in shelties too and no blue eyes too but since I know me good I know I would choose a puppy with the wrong colour and blue eyes if the temperament was right. I also looked for a female this time but I woud take the male too. I think males shelties are not so problematic as in some other breeds:confused2:. Especialy if they are neutered. In the future I would take a male too because I read on the forum they are more mommy's boys which I like:hugs
 
I hear that all the time about the boys. Kind of makes me want to go for the one that wants the deposit and is mostly black, because he's a boy. But I haven't heard from her and didn't send her the check so maybe I already lost out. I know I should call her, as my last conversation was that I would send her a check. But I'm sure once I tell her I haven't sent the check so may give it to someone else who was already inquiring.

I did message the one 8 hrs away and asked if she made a decision and she said that I was still on the list but knew I had been talking to another breeder and wanted to know what was happening. I had previously told her about the breeder that is growing out her dog to see if she can show it and that she also had another person who was interested, who already has one of her dogs. So I told her that again and said I didn't really think I was in contention for that dog. She did not respond to me after that. She knows I'm retiring and I have a feeling that she didn't want to tell me that I'm not in the running for her dog.

Maybe I'm doing this all wrong. Part of me thinks I should send the deposit for the boy and know that it's a sheltie, from a good breeder, and that I will love him. But the other part of me thinks I should hold tight for a couple more weeks and see how this plays out.

I feel kind of guilty that I'm talking to 3 different breeders at the same time, but it's not like they are holding their puppies for me and then I will have to go back and tell the other two never mind. I know the one who wants the deposit has another person interested and she will sell it to whoever sends her the deposit.

You've all been so kind to listen to my "tale of woe" and very helpful with advise. Hopefully I'll have a picture to share show sometime in the next couple of months.
 
Well you aren't dating them and you can be sure they are talking to other buyers too. Everyone wants to find the right placement, so guilt really shouldn't be an issue. Nobody signs an exclusive contract when they start looking for a dog because it can take talking to several breeders to find the right match.

Breeder can be odd about what they want and don't want for their dogs. Some are OK with certain things but not with others and you just have to find one that matches your situation. A newly retired person generally has more time for a dog than someone who is working full time. However, some worry the dogs won't get enough exercise wrongly assuming retired means unable to walk. Foolish, but they have a limited number of dogs to place with often a large number of people wanting dogs. They get to have their preferences.
 
Well, you could go for broke with the one 8 hours away. Full tilt on how this puppy seems to be exactly what you are looking for. Basically say all of the things you've said to us. And you can also call the one that won't let you see the puppy and tell her all of the things you've told us. Let her know that he isn't exactly the look you're looking for but that your biggest concern is not being allowed to meet him. Let her know that it caused you some hesitation. I've had several people back out on puppies at the last minute and I have NEVER had a difficult time placing them.
 
I think all of it depends on how flexible you are about the puppy/dog's personality and looks. With my beloved Shadow, I went and met all sorts of shelties and visited him twice before bringing him home. He had exactly the personality I needed at the time. His passing was devastating to the entire family.

With Beau, I did not meet him and only saw one photo before going to pick him up. I was on several waiting lists and 2 dogs came up at the same time, Beau being one. Actually I had several emails with his breeder who had been holding him for someone who does agility, when she bowed out I was called. We went to pick him up knowing only that he was very "confident and outgoing"--mind you I was looking for a dog to train to do therapy work as I am a Speech Pathologist. We drove 4+ hours and Beau came running up and licking me all over--he was bonded from minute 1. But in the house signing the contracts, he never settled down as the other dogs and pup did. He paced and roamed. I had committed and took him home. He stole my heart from that first minute, and he holds it tight. Having said that however, had I seen his personality before I committted both emotionally and to the breeder to pick him up, not sure if I would have or not. He has been a handful and certainly not right for a therapy dog.

I love Beau to the moon and back, and I have learned an enormous amount training him, but I won't get another dog sight unseen again. Beau is special to me, and he is lucky that he is because he really is tons and tons of work.
 
Last year, I left a $200 deposit on a beautiful pet quality female. The breeder then called me and said she wanted to show her off at the Nationals as a judge thought she was beautiful too. Well, she contacted me saying the Judge wanted her. I was very understanding about the situation as she was going to be shown in confirmation and I was only going to do obedience. The breeder wanted her stock to be in the show ring... I understood that.

However, she would not refund my money even though she was the one that backed out. She said all deposits we non-refundable. I waited and found another female she had about 6 months later. I contacted her about the pup. She got back to me days later saying a person had put a deposit down on her! I said what do you mean? I already gave you the $200 deposit. She then said she was sorry that she forgot.

Although I was disappointed, I ended up with Beau! So, sometimes things are meant to happen differently than we expect.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pam
Back
Top