Lexi plays at flyball

Wow don't sell Lexi short! That is really fast progress. Go get was really hard for Sca. He actually would do runs before bringing the ball back. And he is/was terrible about not bringing it all the way. As to the 2/4 foot thing, while an important thing for the long term there is dogs that compete by pouncing (more so little dogs). In the long term it is much better for her to do a proper turn. It is faster and easier on her body.

As to the equipment distraction... Sca's instructor used to say "sometimes he has his own agenda" When he got like that we would shrink what he was doing until he got a success then call it a night (she says always end on success).

To contrast her progress we have a new pup in class (that does agility) and she is still working on getting the ball
 
10 minutes is good. We do about 5-10 twice. If I really wanted to (we were making great progress that I wanted to cement or Duncan had spazzed and I wanted to see if he was focusing), we would also go after everyone one more (short) time.

Have the box loader bounce the ball a few times and get her interested in it, then put it in the box. Until Duncan realized that the ball just appeared at the end of the lane, I had to get him interested and toss it to the box loader so that he saw it go into the hole. After a while, he started to look to the end of the lane as the source of the ball.

Like I said, Duncan switched sides he was turning on a while into it. I had to fully reteach the box turn.

Maybe just do the little practices you are doing now until she's ready to practice with other dogs.
 
Yep forgot on the switch. That is common. The instructor kept insisting that we let him choose and trying other directions but Sca has always gone left. Might be that is his fast attack vector against me on the couch :eek2:
 
Not sure on others but Sca attention span has lengthened as he gets things better. I suspect that is the norm. As she gets good at it the 'do it again mom' factor increases.

Of course for Sca there is also foooooood! It would be interesting to watch him and Ember since after everyone else was thrown under the bus it would be battle royale to toss each other under for the food :rolleyes2:
 
Not sure on others but Sca attention span has lengthened as he gets things better. I suspect that is the norm. As she gets good at it the 'do it again mom' factor increases.

Of course for Sca there is also foooooood! It would be interesting to watch him and Ember since after everyone else was thrown under the bus it would be battle royale to toss each other under for the food :rolleyes2:

You know, the weird thing about Lexi is that I can't get her to run for a toy (or use a toy as a reward) if there is food around. We have to choose one or the other. If I try to get her to tug or fetch and I have treats, she won't do it. She would rather have the treat. So I can't use a treat as a reward with flyball. She brings me the ball, and I throw it as a reward :lol:
 
One advantage she will have over Sca is she is not much of a chaser is she. Sca gets into his head that we are playing chase and it goes down hill fast :o

I am getting close to having some timing lights for him. Starting to put together the first prototype soon. I have the software written and the infra red beam working well.
 
One advantage she will have over Sca is she is not much of a chaser is she. Sca gets into his head that we are playing chase and it goes down hill fast :o

I am getting close to having some timing lights for him. Starting to put together the first prototype soon. I have the software written and the infra red beam working well.

only you- already have the software written:winkgrin::lol:
 
Lexi is looking great very fast learner. A couple of things to keep in mind. You cannot cross the start line so be careful getting her used to you running next to her (it can also make it hard to start the next dog). And you don't have to do all four jumps when training. You can move up so she is only doing 1 or 2 if she is loosing focus or even just for warmup.
 
Back
Top