Lexi plays at flyball

By the time I get my computer back and can watch videos it sounds like Lexi will be ready to compete!

Try 'charging' the ball like you would with a clicker, so every time she picks up the ball she gets a treat. I had to do that with Deska because he is the same and would prefer to stay where the treats are than get the ball. It was the roast chicken that did it - he started to equate getting the ball with his fave treat and became one of the most reliable dogs in the club. Of course it also makes me the most popular handler on the team because all the dogs know who has the roast chicken!
 
Lexi is looking great very fast learner. A couple of things to keep in mind. You cannot cross the start line so be careful getting her used to you running next to her (it can also make it hard to start the next dog). And you don't have to do all four jumps when training. You can move up so she is only doing 1 or 2 if she is loosing focus or even just for warmup.

Yes, to ^^^^^ this. In Duncan's first comp, I passed the line a few times. Bad me.

Just a few training tips, if you don't mind. If you do, please ignore. Letting her run at will is missing some of the important pieces of flyball that you will eventually need (because it is addicting once you've been to a few competitions). I HIGHLY recommend going to a comp if you have the chance. Go and bring a crate for Lexi. She will need the practice of learning to chill out in the super-charged atmosphere. I know she does agility, but there is a charge in the air (and the constant roar of a huge group of barking dogs) that is different.

Reduce the number of jumps. Start with none and hold her (preferably by a harness, it gives the dog something to strain against while you build their drive with "Go get your ball!" or whatever you say) about 10 feet away. Give her your cue to go (ours is Reeeeadddddy, Seeeet, GO!). This will teach her to surge when you want. You need to train in the reflex to surge forward on command. Once she is going when you say to go, move behind one jump. You may move back behind all four jumps in one practice. However, at the next practice, move up again. You will probably move back behind the last jump more quickly. Eventually, you can warm up once up close and then be ready in that lane.

Even though you are on the hit box (we call it a ramp), don't skip box-work. Stand about 2-3 feet from the ramp (eventually it will be the box) and hold Lexi on your right (it's easier if she's wearing a harness that you can hook your fingers under). Use your surge cue after revving the dog (mine sounds like "See you ball? Getch your ball! Reeeeaddddy, set, GO!), gently move the dog forward with the harness (only needed the first time or two, while they get the idea of what is expected) while stepping forward with your right foot. While the dog hops on the ramp and is getting the ball, pivot to your left and pull out tug (I pull out treat) when the dog is committed to having gotten the ball. Have a big party, repeat. Up close box work reminds the dog of the swimmer's turn that is your goal.

Once you are on the box and triggering it, the box work is SUPER important and also really quick. I do 5-6 box hits per practice, just to keep Duncan doing his beautiful turns. And it has really paid off. Everyone is envious of my dog's foot placement.

Hope that helps! I have a feeling we will be trading doggie sport knowledge. I will let you pick my brain for Flyball and I hope to get info back on agility.
 
One of the fastest dogs are our team still has the cone put in front of the box in practice to keep him turning good. :wink2:
 
Thanks for all the tips, guys. I am woefully under-informed. We aren't taking a class and we only spend a few minutes a week with the instructor as she is a friend of ours.

I am still trying to work out how to create an appropriate reward for these flyball behaviors (see my "Toys AND Treats" thread). I am thinking of buying (or making) a tug with a ball on the end and starting with that. That way I can start rewarding Lexi with a game of tug, and eventually we can cut the tug smaller and smaller until it's just a ball, and we're tugging on a separate tug after the run. You guys might have other ideas? I can't charge the ball like Caro suggested because once treats come out, Lexi could care less about toys and she probably wouldn't even pick up the ball.

Also, thanks for the tip about running with her. I started doing that to make her go faster, but I'll stop. She has excellent restrained recall skills, but because I've yet to make the ball high value, she doesn't really pull away from me when I rev her up.

And I should also note that we've mostly been doing short stuff (one jump close to the box) but I was so proud of her for going to the box from far away that that's what I did the other night and videoed. :biggrin2:

And Chelle, just to clarify your box work, you basically want Lexi to run a U almost around me on to the box while I pivot with her, right? Just want to be clear.
 
Don't worry a ton about speed IMO. As she starts 'getting' it she will pick up speed naturally. Sca used to ease down and once he grabbed the ball he hauled all the way back. Now he goes just as fast both directions.
 
And Chelle, just to clarify your box work, you basically want Lexi to run a U almost around me on to the box while I pivot with her, right? Just want to be clear.

Yes. Part of the training is that you want them to run up on the side w/o the ball. So you want her 'entering' the box on the right. That way, she can turn to the left in mid-air and have room to plant all four feet.

Don't worry a ton about speed IMO. As she starts 'getting' it she will pick up speed naturally. Sca used to ease down and once he grabbed the ball he hauled all the way back. Now he goes just as fast both directions.

Yes, the speed comes with confidence. There are ways to encourage speed later.
 
Tonight was another good night. I made sure to warm Lexi up first by just doing some up close stuff. We moved back slowly. She did great!

All night she never dropped the ball once. The only issue she had was that if I didn't put the ball she had just brought back into the bucket or in my pocket, she wanted to go get that one rather than the one on the box.

I also made sure to not run with her, but to rev her up (she already knows the get excited command since I use the same one at agility...it gets her spinning and crazy...I say "reeeeeeeeeeeeady!?!?!") and send her.

We did introduce her to a real box. That was interesting. She didn't really like it much even though we didn't actually load the ball (just set it on there). She didn't seem to worry about it or anything, just only wanted to put 2 feet on instead of the 4. So, I put the ball away and just worked with shaping a turn (just like I did at the beginning with cookies). If she put 2 on and turned, small cookie, then I upped the criteria and after just a few tries she was putting 4 feet on again. The turns weren't beautiful, but I was glad she figured it out so quickly, but they were fast and hard (not hesitant or worried) and we ended on that note.
 
Good job Lexi! Turns are good but at first it is also OK to let her do two and trigger the ball. So is the team captain recruiting her already :lol: Sca has a ways to go since he is less well behaved but I can almost see drool on some team members since he is fast. They are all waiting the day he runs good. An all BC team (well and a Border Sheltie) would fly! And I think Angel is a lower jump height even.
 
Sounds excellent. even the wanting the ball she just brought back. That's why we have ball shaggers picking up balls at comps - otherwise most of the dogs would go "why get another ball when there's a perfectly good one sitting there". I always pocket the balls when I'm training Tully.

We had another visit to the physio today and she said she's getting more and more flyball dogs with impact injuries coming in. And it usually the result of poor box turns. By not putting all 4 paws of the box they are impacting the spine between the shoulders at high speed then twisting - she said if she had her way they would be doing contact zones like in agility. Of course she is appalled by Tully's handstands on the box!
 
Great progress!! When you are ready to try the trigger, try triggering the wrong side. That way she can get used to the noise before having to also deal with a ball being thrown at her. Also, consider using a cone in the middle to encourage 4-on. Injuries can abound with a poor turn. Even with Duncan's great turn, we are going to do some specialized box work next practice with videoing his turn from above to see about his foot placement. It's a technique one of our members got from a Touch N Go (the world record holding team) seminar.
 
Back
Top