MDR1 and Demodex Treatments

Smudge can you tell me what is the name of the dip you are referring to? My vet and I are trying to get Gypsy's skin issues under control and when her rash heals I am supposed to bath her in Sebozole weekly. I hope this isn't what you are talking about and if so why wouldn't you use it again.

The dip that is used for demodex mange is Mitaban (amitraz). Foul smelling nasty stuff.:dead:

Sebozole is an antifungal, antibacterical, antiseborrhea(grease) shampoo. Not too bad just a medicated shampoo. Really nice product.
 
From wiki:
Just recently a new spot-on flea and tick formula containing metaflumizone and amitraz, sold by the name of ProMeris®, is available from Pfizer for the treatment of demodectic mange. When used topically every 14 days, juvenile-onset demodectic cases showed a 92.3% reduction in mite numbers. The largest complaint with treatment has been the product’s odor. Other side effects may include a transient lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, or allergic skin reactions.

Would this maybe be an option?

Poor Smudge.
 
Thanks

The dip that is used for demodex mange is Mitaban (amitraz). Foul smelling nasty stuff.:dead:

Sebozole is an antifungal, antibacterical, antiseborrhea(grease) shampoo. Not too bad just a medicated shampoo. Really nice product.

Thanks Dr Shelly,
It has taken a month for 1/2 for us to find the right med that Gypsy could tolerate to get these pustules under control, they are almost healed and than I'll be shampooing her because she now has a yeast infection all over her skin and big patches of hair missing on her butt like hot spots. I think this all started due to my complex laying new mulch.
 
continuing last post.

last year they laid new mulch before I left for vacation when I came home she had her first outbreak that's why I think it's the mulch. But I was also thinking it may be stress because I was gone. This year she had her exploritory surgery and a couple weeks later they laid new mulch so we have the 2 factors again of stress or mulch.
 
First of all, please let me make something clear before this thread gets going in the wrong direction. Smudge is currently mange free. I'm trying to figure out IF it comes back what are some safe ways to treat it IF Smudge has the MDR1 gene. I highly doubt that he does, but I really need to know. So I am going to give my vet my test kit this afternoon when I go in. He can swab Smudge and be the bad guy. :biggrin2:

As for the name of the dip...I don't know. My old vet was fabulous in that way. :rolleyes2: They did not tell me the name of it.

I would not do it again for a variety of reasons. First of all, going into the vet's office is stressful enough on a dog. For a dog with this type of mange it's even more scary for me, because anything that stresses him out can make it worse. After being neutered and having part of his face scraped off he became even more terrified of the vet's office.

Second of all, the stupid morons could not keep their story straight about the number of times they dipped him. Their groomer, who did the dips and not the vet, was also a know it all. Their entire staff was mostly teenager girls who wanted to do nothing but chat on their cell phones or vets who didn't care to explain anything because they did not want to be bothered with me. Smudge was dipped more times than he should have been dipped.

Taking a bath is also bad on his skin. You have to get it done every two weeks. Mr. Smudge got hotspots from it. He began to lick himself. I was afaid that something else was wrong with him, but it turns out that he just had hot spots from all the mange dips:

http://smudgereed.shutterfly.com/

The pictures of his mange are in order. The first pictures were at the start of his mange, and the end was when he began to get better. I have seen pictures of dogs who are worse off with the demodex, but his was bad enough! The only good mange is no mange! On that site at the top you can also see his hot spots from the mange treatments. We thought it was allergies at first, but it turned out to just be hot spots from the mange.

Also with the dips, I had to drop him off at 8am and could not pick him up until 2 or 3. Tha was also stressful for him.
 
Gos, I remember. It was just so awful!!! I am just so glad Smudge is all well now! Yay Vibrant Pets!!!!!
 
Well, I am back from the vet. I am not so happy. :rolleyes2: First of all, my biggest pet peeve in the world is when people can't follow simple instructions. Why am I ALWAYS the ONLY PERSON in the vet's office who follows the one. simple. rule.

ALL PETS MUST BE LEASHED OR CONTAINED.

There was some fool there with a pit bull puppy who had fleas. BAD. The owner was picking up flea medicine while the freaking pit bull puppy was wondering all around the room. WITH NO LEASH ON. Get your flea filled dog away from mine NOW. Or else. :mad:

Then I get somewhat of a hassel from my vet about the MDR1 test. I should have just kept the stupid test at home and done it myself. He gave it a few swabs and then handed it back to me. The paper clearly states that you must swab with a decent pressure for 30 seconds. When I got home I reswabbed Smudge myself. I can't take the chance that it did not get done right.

Then before I knew what happened Smudge got popped with a 7 in 1 vaccine and some kind of vaccine that is snorted through his nose! AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGG!

How do you make a vet understand that MDR1 is something for me to be concerned about? He asked why I wanted the test done, and I told him because Smudge has had demodex in the past, and that I was curious because the MDR1 gene could make a difference in what treatments he could have for mange. He only seemed to know that ivermectin was bad for shelties.

I'm at a loss. The rabies vaccine he gave Smudge was also only good for one year. :no:

Anyway, I am sending my test off tomorrow and I am hoping for good results. The mail has already ran here for today.
 
Here's two random shots of Mr. Smudge looking cute on the way to the vet's office. Jennifer sewed that pillow for him. :biggrin2:

I was going to go by PetSmart and get some treats for Fluffy when we go to the park on Wednesday, but I was so annoyed I forgot to go.
 
Last edited:
Hi the vaccine through the nose you brought up may have been Bordetella.
It's for kennel cough. My vet recommends it if you board your dog,have him groomed some where, or if your dogs play in a park.
 
I did MDR-1 test at home. Che was not extremely helpful but we managed 30 sec of swabbing, got email report about 10 days later. Che is normal/ normal. I did it before putting Che on Interceptor/ Frontline. I will not use Frontline anymore as I have seen good results from Natural Defence Sentry topical solution. We still using Interceptor but are looking into options. Even as small doses of all those heartworm preventatives they are ALL very strong poison... poisoning my dog to prevent some possible illness does not sit well with me...
As I understand present Heartguard is about 1/4 dose of what they used in the past? so it probably does not matter which one is used for collies...
Smudge, I am totally with you on that vet office thing, present vets on Sheltie Nation excluded but why many of them think that people are morons? " we do not give 3 year rabies shots because people will forget" well it is same dose of same vaccine for 1 or 3 years and NO I won't forget as I have to write it down for every registered class I am taking, and no I won't let anyone near my dog with a needle until I know what exactly is being given and why.
 
Back
Top