Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New puppy... maybe

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Watson's Mom, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    Oh, I’m pretty certain I won’t be walking away from it. I just got another reply from the breeder that she is “outgoing, inquisitive, and smart.” All the things I’m looking for. I hope she’s ready to go errrrywhere and meet errrryone!

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    depends....
    Jocu is longer than Cran but a little shorter at the shoulder.
    I don't think I have a side by side of them standing- will have to work on that.......

Watson's Mom likes this.
  3. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    I just got word that she is currently 11 1/4 inches tall. And as long as I “don’t fatten her up” they think she’ll be 20-22 pounds as an adult. Still small enough to be conveniently portable. (y)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    ghggp, Sharon7, Calliesmom and 3 others like this.
  4. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    I hope you get her!!! What a cute puppy!! I got my puppy, Kip, at 10 weeks. He weighed 7.3 lbs at that point, and I'm not sure if he's going to stay in size or not. He is currently 17 weeks and 12.8 lbs

My previous sheltie, a girl, was a bit over 16 inches tall and 25 lbs

5. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Calliesmom likes this.
  6. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Like I said take the weight with a grain of salt. At 29lbs Sca was thin and in race trim (flyball) he was a stout guy. Angus is a thinner build for sure though a bit on the chubby side (food was cut back again this morning)

Calliesmom likes this.
  7. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Saturday. Saturday.

we’re going to go to the breeder on Saturday.

I may have just made 10 week puppy appointment at the vet. I always request my favorite doc, the one who patched Watson up and who did an amazing job treating my hospice lymphoma cat, so my options are considerably less but I want to make sure we’re getting her first appointment as soon as I can especially if she needs the second round of shots yet.

KarenCurtis, ghggp, Ann and 5 others like this.
  8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    :)

Ann and Calliesmom like this.
  9. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Welp, today’s the day. And we’re supposed to get like 6 inches of snow tonight. Of course. That should make starting house breaking.... interesting. :gaah

I think I’ve gotten everything I should need to start with. They have a collar that fits her but I have a martingale and body harness. Either she’ll grow in to them or they’ll fit and I’ll be replacing them sooner rather than later.
    I’ve never had a puppy before. At least not in foreeeeever. Like since I was in sixth grade. So.... almost 30 years ago. I hardly think that counts.

My sister saw all of her “stuff” and said it looks like I’m prepping for an actually baby. But then when she got her dog from the shelter she said all she bought was a leash. :rolleyes2:

I think the last thing I’m going to get is a bag. So I can start taking her out places before her shots are done and keep her up off the ground and secured so there’s not wiggly puppy nose dives and my hands are free so I can still do what I need.

Any suggestions on fencing? We don’t have one now because taking one out on a walk is easy. I want a vinyl picket style but I don’t really know of shelties are climbers. Watson is basically a cat so he never would have had the determination to climb anyway. F2D09426-2C2E-438E-B5E8-93D330EF47CA.jpeg

KarenCurtis, Calliesmom and ghggp like this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Watson's Mom likes this.