Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Now what...

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by ghggp, Jun 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    so Callie was a rescue- didn't know anything about her background but I did take her to a basic obedience class. I didn't take her to learn anything but just to be in the class. she spent the first couple weeks under my chair watching too. but she was a sheltie and seeing the instructor giving other dogs cookies for just about anything- by the end of the class, she followed the instructor trying to get her share of the cookies.
    she would never take cookies in a new place until we'd been there awhile. so when we started rally, we were there really early so she could acclimate- when she did take a cookie, then I knew she was ok with that place.
    I think your new instructor is amazing and that she knows what she is doing........:yes:

Ann, Caro and ghggp like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, that is so true.

Ann, Sharon7 and Caro like this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    How cute is that.

Calliesmom likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    She is the first instructor that has not criticized me immediately. Her attitude was... some dogs are just more shy. She mentioned that she had worked with border collie that was way worse than Liam! Hard to imagine.

She told me to try and get Liam to take a treat as the other dog, a two year old Wheaten Terrier was working. I got him to take a treat three times during the one hour session! I did get there early and that is why she took the time to greet me in the parking lot and try to offer treats to Liam. She is very kind!

Hopefully, in time he will more comfortable in this new facility.

Ann, corbinam, Calliesmom and 3 others like this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Roundabouts - goodness - they have them all over in MA and my goodness, the drivers there are more aggressive than NYC drivers, IMO. I always wonder the sense of humor the creators of them had. East Coast drivers do NOT like to merge so roundabouts are interesting.

So glad you like the trainer. My Tails n Trails trainer is an hour away so I feel you - but I love the time and so does Brodie! It's an investment, but sounds like she is perfect for him!

ghggp, Calliesmom and Caro like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Adorable videos Gloria!
    I'm so happy you finally found someone who can help, she sounds wonderful!
    I can speak from personal experience with Finnie that continued exposure will help Liam over time. Finnie continues to improve, just yesterday I took him to a local store (a sorta farm/hardware store) to do heeling and I was able to do off leash heeling without him being bothered by the people.
    Of course when we walk down a busy street (big trucks, lots of noise) he's still bothered by this but I just keep working with him...he'll get there.
    It's strange, I can have Finnie at a dog show with barking dogs, big bangs from crates, crowds of people and he's fine. But I take him into a small store with just a few people and he's shaking like a leaf! Go figure.

Ann, ghggp and Calliesmom like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I know you have had way more luck with Finnie than I have had with Liam. However, you get Finnie out more. Glad he is doing better... gives me hope for Liam!

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I think so too... she is so kind and considerate of both of us! WHich most certainly helps!
    Funny thing is... I am a nervous type too. Not comfortable in new situations or with new people or environments... maybe Liam is channeling me?
    I have never invested so much time an effort in training a dog before Liam. Then again, most came as rescues and they seemed so much more tolerant of training.
    As soon as I got them I would enroll in classes and they all did wonderfully...

Ann and Calliesmom like this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Just the other day my vet told me how much dogs are a reflection of their owners, so if Liam is an extra sensitive Sheltie, as he seems to be, he may very well pick up on any anxieties that you are feeling. Try faking feeling confident, like at the training class, and eventually you will feel it. Just even smiling relaxes all your facial muscles and can make you feel happier. I think you've at least hit on a trainer who can really help you out.

Calliesmom and ghggp like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    We have roundabouts here as well and most people don't know how to use them here either. If your in the roundabout you have right of way to anyone entering and you signal as your entering and leaving it.

ghggp likes this.