Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Now what...

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by ghggp, Jun 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    ADORABLE LIAM!!!

Calliesmom likes this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, I am happy to report I FINALLY found a nose work class! The bad news is I just found the place and they already started the first class. I have a call in and hopefully, they can fit me in. Also, I found another training facility that comes highly recommended by a few friends of mine. The limit classes to only 6 dogs. It starts in July. Fingers crossed these are the right fit for Liam!

3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    YAY!!! So glad to hear both items of good news. Fingers crossed you can get into the Nosework class. It is so much fun, I think you will both love it and it will build his confidence and your bond.

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    YEAH!!!! I hope they let you in!

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    so glad that you found some other places:yes:

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, got two calls from the facility... each person said, we don't do the Monday class...
    They will forward my message to the trainer who does...

Fingers crossed...:fl

Calliesmom, Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Excellent news Gloria! So happy on both counts! I'm thinking of doing nose work with Piper after he's done with obedience. Looks like fun and something you can easily practice at home.

Calliesmom likes this.
  8. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    i hope this works out for you! i have been watching nosework with interest, everyone here is flocking to it! Obedience and agility dogs, retired dogs, conformation - they all seem to be having a blast!

Especially popular is that it does not take cumbersome equipment, can be practiced anywhere!

Maybe someday I'll jump on that bandwagon too!

As for your bad experience, isn't it ironic that the dogs that need classes the most, are the least appropriate dogs to bring to class! I always recommend private lessons for dogs out of control, before putting them in a group setting. The dog training center should have refunded your money!

ghggp, Calliesmom and Sharon7 like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    "As for your bad experience, isn't it ironic that the dogs that need classes the most, are the least appropriate dogs to bring to class! I always recommend private lessons for dogs out of control, before putting them in a group setting. The dog training center should have refunded your money!"

I really do not understand why they are allowed in the class. I am going to write a letter to the facility and voice my concern and hopefully, they will do the right thing and give me a refund!

OMG... I have had several emails from the lady who teaches the Nose work class I will be attending tomorrow.

I told her that he gets so scared that he will not take food in class...
    Her response "If for some reason he's not able to take treats tomorrow, maybe you can bring him to classes just at first to observe and get used to the building. We'll play it by ear to see how he does. I can give you work to do at home where he's more calm to get him introduced to nosework and maybe the fun and enjoyment of finding treats will help him.........I can bring a few homemade treats made of sardines/eggs/graham crackers as well as cheese and salami too. If any of these seem like they will give him upset tummy, just let me know."

REALLY!!! OMG I am so IMPRESSED! She had shelties growing up and said she totally understands their sometimes shy nature...
    Stay tuned....

Piper's mom, Calliesmom, Caro and 2 others like this.
  10. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Gloria, it sounds like you have found the perfect match! Good for you for standing up for Liam...he is lucky to have such a devoted Mom.
    Trini

ghggp likes this.