Pancreatitis...

So sorry you are struggling with this! Ally was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis last spring. She has since been on Science Diet lowfat I/D canned. She loves it and she is doing well now. She also gets fish oil pills and prebiotics and some generic Pepcid.

The acute kind that Laddie has is more scary. Shelties are prone to gallbladder disease which can affect pancreas also. If he didn't actually get into the trash or have some similar event where he ingested a lot of forbidden food/lots of fat, then you really can't blame yourself. We have no idea why Ally got it either.

Don't worry too much about him not eating for a few days. He likely feels worse when he eats as it stimulates the pancreas. I hope his blood work looks a little better soon.

Take care of yourself too, your furkids depend on you being healthy! :hugs
 
I called the vet late this afternoon to see if Laddie had eaten. He did not.

Since we are getting close to the 48 hour mark without eating I asked the vet if I could make rice and boiled chicken and come up to hand feed him. They said OK.

When I got to the vet they put me in one of the exam rooms. The minute Laddie came in the door his nose went towards the dish where I had the food. When I lowered the dish he dug into the dish with gusto! He ate so fast I pulled the plate up not wanting him to eat so fast. I began spoon feeding him to gauge how much he was ingesting. About 5 before spoonfuls. I asked the tech to check with the doctor... They told me to stop feeding him. Stayed with him for about 45 minutes.

He laid by my side after giving me a multitude of kisses. Both my heart and his were comforted. I pray he can come home tomorrow!

Thanks everyone for your continued prayers and support.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 23
Glad to hear that you were able to see Laddie and feed him. When my Pom had pancreatitis, I fed her rice and chicken for a long time until the vet put her on a Hill's prescription diet. This was in the 70's so there were not as many options. She was 3 when she was sick. It never came back, and she lived almost 14 years.
Prayers and hugs.Take care.

Pam and Sunny and Snow
 
OMG Pam... I hope I am as lucky as you were with your Pom!
Thanks for the prayers!

I call the emergency vet this evening and Laddie did eat again at 6:00 and has kept the food down!!! So that makes 2 feedings and no vomiting! Progress...

With any luck and the prayers for him I am hopeful for his return home on Tuesday!
 
Glad to see Laddie is eating. Had to check on you guys one more time before I went to bed. Will be praying for the best.
 
Laddie having an appetite is a great sign! Having you there when you brought the chicken and rice probably helped him also. I'm sure he misses you. Thanks for the update. My fingers are crossed Laddie has a full recovery. The sooner he can get home, the better for both of you!

Page
 
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU EVERYONE...
FOR ALL YOUR PRAYERS!
:hugs:hugs

Laddie is now back home!!!!
Although totally exhausted, he ate lunch and is now happily snoozing!

He is on Prednisolone 5 mg, Metronidazole 250 mg, and Denamarin 255mg.

I can not tell you how much it meant to me for each and every individual who was kind enough to support both me and Laddie during this stressful time! :hugs:hugs:

Sheltie Nation ROCKS!!!!! :biggrin2:
 

Attachments

  • LaddirHome9-22-15.jpg
    LaddirHome9-22-15.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top