Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Poor Liam!!!

Discussion in 'General Health' started by ghggp, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I was pretty sure it was allergies, and glad the apoquel worked, but wasn't there a thread on here about bad side effects with that drug? Not trying to alarm you, but check it out. I am glad he's feeling better, sorry he was traumatized at the vet's!

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    You are right Sharon. Ann also reminded me of it. Thanks, bunches for the reminder!

I just read this article on it...
    https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/wouldnt-give-dog-new-allergy-drug/

He has been off for a while and won't eat at all! I offered him dinner twice and he just walks away. He has never missed a meal since I brought him home.
    This morning he was playing. The only difference is the medication. I will keep using what others have recommended. Foot baths and the Benadryl 2x a day.

I am not going to give him the medication. Now I am spooked.

KarenCurtis, Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I agree Gloria...the risks of dogs developing Cancer after being on this drug for a short time are just too high! Vet's need to stop prescribing it!
    Keep doing the foot baths and I'd wipe off his paws whenever he comes in the house after being on the grass, perhaps it'll help keep the itchiness down.

KarenCurtis, ghggp and Ann like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Gloria, how is Liam today? Back to eating?

KarenCurtis, ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks for asking Sharon. Yes, happy to report he has eaten breakfast and lunch! With some special yummy toppings! Finished everything!
    I have a call into the vet and waiting for a callback. Stopped the medication he gave me in lieu of just plain Benadryl. He has not been scratchy at all today.

UPDATE: Vet just called and he has no problem with switching him over to Cytopoint.
    Going to get his shot tomorrow

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    RikyR, KarenCurtis, Ann and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    That is great, Gloria! Flurry did really well on Cytopoint, and it lasts for several weeks. Good for you for being proactive in what you will and won't give to Liam!

7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks to you and Sharon for your prodding reminders...
    My memory is certainly not as good in regards to these medications!
    Thank goodness my vet knows I am high maintenance! Gezzz, I spend enough money at that place.
    You are correct... only the best for my boys...

Sharon7 and KarenCurtis like this.