Puppy Coat Question

some times they go though growth spurts where their rear is ahead of the rest of them..She should level out. One of mine was always higher in the rear while growing once she stopped shes nice and level now!

Thanks for the info! How old was you pup when she leveled out? Bailey is already 9 months old.
 
Aww that doesn't look like an awkward phase. she is too cute!

Aww, Buffy says thanks. I thought she was cute too, we're talking relative terms here :smile2: I think the skinny phase growing-into-my-limbs phase is cute, too...
 
So this might be a silly question...but when you look at your puppy..what is adult fur and what is puppy fur? I know when they are little babies they have that fuzz that sticks up.

Lexi doesn't have any of that-- her fur seems to be very smooth. Of course, her butt fur is much coarser--like your typical sheltie pants, just shorter since they're still growing.

Bentley has that coarser hair, not as smooth or shiny. It doesn't really lay flat (opposite of Koji's smooth silky hair). This is why I'm curious about Lexi--is her fur an indication of having smoother fur, or is it hard to tell at this point?
 
So this might be a silly question...but when you look at your puppy..what is adult fur and what is puppy fur? I know when they are little babies they have that fuzz that sticks up.

Lexi doesn't have any of that-- her fur seems to be very smooth. Of course, her butt fur is much coarser--like your typical sheltie pants, just shorter since they're still growing.

Bentley has that coarser hair, not as smooth or shiny. It doesn't really lay flat (opposite of Koji's smooth silky hair). This is why I'm curious about Lexi--is her fur an indication of having smoother fur, or is it hard to tell at this point?
The adult hair that is coming in is the course outer coat... generally the under coat comes in last. The soft hair is the puppy coat. You will start noticing the adult coat coming in on the back line and rear area first. Everything that has been described is absolutely 100% normal. It is interesting to watch, normally the adult hair coming is a lot shinier with a deeper color than the puppy coat... very pretty in a black puppy especially. My three puppies, I have here at home, are starting the transition and yes we are starting to have fur flying. :)
 
...........and next stage is where their back legs and hind quarters grow faster than their front legs and quarters and they look silly and all out of proportion.

I loved watching the black fur coming in on MMM's face and the black ring around the top of his tail.

They are just such darn cute puppies!

Duncan is a little out of whack, too! I feel like he is almost evened out. With him being so short, he definitely feels long in the body. But hey, he's under, so maybe when he's all grown up he'll be in-sized. Every single person (including the vet) that we've met that knows anything about Shelties has told me that he's the little or most dainty one they've seen! I think it has to do with the coat being so short, too.

Boy am I ever noticing Trapp's fuzzy butt,with all of this thread. He's got major fluff back there~

That seems about the only place Duncan DOES has full-on adult hair. His line matures into their fur a little late, though.

Barb, you're going to have to reassure me in a year that the puppy fur stage DOES pass (if/when it does for Indy)!
 
Zak's coat it is the same with the stripe down the middle. His tail is getting thicker. Still has a lot of puppy fluff on his sides. He will be 21 weeks tomorrow...where did my little puppy-puppy go?
 
Back
Top