Sca got it right at flyball

I tried to teach Miko flyball, I couldn't even for the life of me get him to trigger the box. He liked the ball part and the jumping part. But disliked having to trigger the box. So........

Sca, no matter what you do, if you trigger the box/ball, you're great in my eyes. ;) Keep up the good work.
 
I tried to teach Miko flyball, I couldn't even for the life of me get him to trigger the box. He liked the ball part and the jumping part. But disliked having to trigger the box. So........

Sca, no matter what you do, if you trigger the box/ball, you're great in my eyes. ;) Keep up the good work.
Remember he is a Border Sheltie so triggering the box means he steps anywhere on it :lol:
 
Dad came with me tonight to video Sca and I was a bit worried since there was a new dog and he was being super scatter brain.

But ta-da! Mr Scathan Coimhead did his first 100% clean run. Through all the jumps and got the ball all the way across the line (barely) and with no aids like the plexiglass walls. Dad did slightly goof though, when we got back to the fourth jump Dad did not also move back so you cannot see Sca's start and finish.

Otherwise he did his first 1.5 minute down stay. We did wide jump passes (he sucked since he wanted to be on my other side :lol:). Around the cone which he ROCKS on and finally the jumps.

Oh and his buddy Reggie had to have his ears tucked into his collar which reminded me of Caro and Deska

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjfvOWaLDRk
 
Three clean runs in a row - woohoo. It looks like he's got it! Isn't it exciting when they start doing clean runs. All the work has paid off - next stop competitions!!

I am surprised with the smallish space you train in, that must make it extra hard so you have done extremely well.

Do you do a stay before you start flyball class? Hilarious if you do - you should see the rabid frenzy our dogs get in at the start of class, its such a contrast. But then we train in a field so are unlikely to go deaf from the barking.
 
He only made 2 back to the line but that was something I needed to do different. Competition is a bit off still as he LOVES to play and a dog going wide open the other way will be really tempting. Though Jerry (instructors husband) did say he might need to start practicing with the team so he can get dogs passing.

Now if his sheep can get the IR beacon working and make him a timer :o
 
Dad thought it was cool also. On the way home he commented that Sca looked like he was having so much fun. His dog would snub everyone, 'the' bear does not do stuff like 'that' :lol:
 
I just love watching him move ! He's gorgeous.

Good job, Sca on the flyball... AND ignoring that little human distraction that was "rocking" back and forth in the chair in front of you. Snap never would have held his stay like you did.
 
There was only three dogs so it was pretty casual. One of the dogs has even run so does not really qualify as a beginner and the other is close. So it was kind of an intermediate day.

Sca continued to do well then we upped the level. The Chocolate Lab Sadie would run and then I would let Sca loose to run after she passed. Well he did a u turn and was sure playing with Sadie was the goal :lol:. After a couple of attempts he did get it when I picked him up and pointed him rather than letting him go. Overall not to bad for a first try. Then some of the team dogs ran and we were either down by the box (barking) or up by the start line (barking and pulling) I think the idea was to desensitize him some. It was funny though, earlier he was all about Sadie but when there was three running he only had eyes for Angel the bi-black BC. He ignored Sadie and even Lilly the ???? (BC or skinny Aussie merle) and only tried to run with Angel. The instructor thought it was because she was the fastest but I wonder :lol:

Going down he is kind of slow but when he grabs the ball I call him and start to act like I am running away and his herd my sheep drive kicks in... he is close to the 2 BCs that are the fastest on the team at that point. Still a ton for him to get like box turns (he pounces it now to get the ball), faster down, passing a dog, passing a dog, oh and I think he will have a hard time passing a dog that is running.

Well at nights end the instructor suggested we try to run him in June as a single. I am not sure he will be up to it and my schedule in June is pretty full but if that night is open I think we will enter. I thought she said UFli but the closest I see in June is IL so I am not sure. Supposed to get some info on the day and such in an email.

Oh and his new harness rocks! and a small-medium fits perfect. I seem to remember he was 24" which is right on the dividing line so I was worried. But it actually fit perfect right out of the box I did not even adjust it. Sadly his easy walk is not even close. Unless I am putting it on wrong (possible) there is NO WAY that it fits the sizes they say. I think I have it full out and it lacks an easy 2". So it might get donated to a smaller dog at the get together.
 
Back
Top