Sca got it right at flyball

Thanks I call it Dog drag racing :winkgrin:

If we race in June I will have to try to get a video even though I suspect it will be an epic fail. Sca REALLY likes to play and anything running is fun. So the dog in the next lane :rolleyes2:

Last night they suggested I try to run toward the start then stop to get him going rather than kind of push starting him. I looked at them kind of funny :o then said oooooK. When they asked I said but when I stop he will turn and come back. Sure enough when we tried it that was what he did. His pecking order is FOOD, me moving, anything moving, me stationary then stationary dogs in that order.
 
Oh and when mr food obsessed cheated and ran down next to the jumps rather than through them Jerry pulled the ball out (one time I did not release Sca he escaped. Well he jumped on the box, no ball. So he started searching knowing that no ball == no food. After checking all out front and even climbing in behind Jerry he finally found the ball carrier. You could almost here him going caa-CHING! from the other end of the building :rolleyes2: and counting how many treats that was worth. When Jerry grabbed the ball carrier he finally gave up the search and came back to get staged for a run. Yes he is a slight bit food obsessed.
 
I tried to teach Miko flyball, I couldn't even for the life of me get him to trigger the box. He liked the ball part and the jumping part. But disliked having to trigger the box. So........

Sca, no matter what you do, if you trigger the box/ball, you're great in my eyes. ;) Keep up the good work.

Yup, it took about 8 months for Duncan to START triggering the box and about 10 for him to do it consistently. He had to learn how to throw himself up on the box.

Anyway, Sca looks great. To help his box turn, put the ball on the left side (so that when he turns counter-clockwise [which he does most often in the vid] he is actually able to catch the ball). Also, you want his muscle memory developing the four-paws-on earlier rather than later.

But it's awesome (and Duncan is jealous) that he has a one-paw trigger. The four-on will be faster, though.
 
Yup, it took about 8 months for Duncan to START triggering the box and about 10 for him to do it consistently. He had to learn how to throw himself up on the box.

Anyway, Sca looks great. To help his box turn, put the ball on the left side (so that when he turns counter-clockwise [which he does most often in the vid] he is actually able to catch the ball). Also, you want his muscle memory developing the four-paws-on earlier rather than later.

But it's awesome (and Duncan is jealous) that he has a one-paw trigger. The four-on will be faster, though.
Thanks. He needs the center since he uses the little balls but I might discuss that with MJ maybe I am wrong or we can swap balls. She likes cones to make them go up and around. Oh and yes he always goes CCW if you set a cone down and tell him go around he will run out turn left around it and come back perfect. He even goes left when he is banking off furniture now that I think about it. If he could do turns like the couch we could go pro :o

10 months I don't feel as bad then. I think we might have been going for 6 now...I'll have to check.

Has Duncan competed? How long did it take?

As for turns Sca needs to get like Angel the BC she is so smooth, her brother Slick is faster but it looks like he is going to highside into the person holding the box down at times :eek2:
 
Tonight will be interesting. We had a three week break due to the team racing and the tornadoes. On top of that I was motorcycle racing yesterday and my thighs and back are still worn out and then some. I would probably skip tonight except I want to talk about signing Sca up for his first race in August.

On a side note he was making wicked box turns off of Mom and Dad's couch last night when I picked him up. 'The' Bear was on the couch and Sca would jump up next to him and bank off the back and down to the floor before 'The' Bear could react. Hopefully he translates some to the box tonight and makes everyone miss how slow I will be :o
 
Sca did OK. He was either on or off though and that was probably me. He even caught the ball out of the box a couple of times. Though he was 'accused' of having a 'different agenda' a couple of times :lol:

Near the end though the ibuprofin was wearing off and my legs were gone. I was aching pretty good on the way home :o

Next is signup for his first tourney. I did find out more info on how it works and hope to be officially signed up by Wednesday or so.

Now if I can just get couch style box turns...
 
I know what you mean - Tully does her best box turns when she is bouncing off me. If only we could dress up the box!

Way to go planning for a comp! The first couple are so nerve-racking. I wll be very disappointed if Sca doesnt get carded at least once! Lately our club has been giving the intermediate dogs any spare places on the teams so they can practice recalls in a comp environment before they actually have to compete. Will be interesting to see if it makes any difference. We've go the RSPCA Million Paws Walk comp this weekend, nice and relaxed one - only 16 teams so we will have a number of green dogs running. Only problem is because there are so few teams Tully's team have to run in Divn 1 :eek2:. Yikes, we'll be trounced.

I opted out of flyball last week - legs and back aching too. Its hard on your body to be bending over and hard to psych yourself up for the highh level of adenalin the dogs need to do the job when you can barely move!
 
I know what you mean - Tully does her best box turns when she is bouncing off me. If only we could dress up the box!

Way to go planning for a comp! The first couple are so nerve-racking. I wll be very disappointed if Sca doesnt get carded at least once! Lately our club has been giving the intermediate dogs any spare places on the teams so they can practice recalls in a comp environment before they actually have to compete. Will be interesting to see if it makes any difference. We've go the RSPCA Million Paws Walk comp this weekend, nice and relaxed one - only 16 teams so we will have a number of green dogs running. Only problem is because there are so few teams Tully's team have to run in Divn 1 :eek2:. Yikes, we'll be trounced.

I opted out of flyball last week - legs and back aching too. Its hard on your body to be bending over and hard to psych yourself up for the highh level of adenalin the dogs need to do the job when you can barely move!
He is not running in the team. Just a single. According to the instructor they also let dogs that like to chase (herd) run against a dog from their team to avoid scaring another dog. So by August he might be doing better then we pick the dog he likes to chase the least (Sadie the chocolate is his buddy but he does not chase with her like his buddy Tune the JR). Even with that I only give him 50/50 since he REALLY likes to play :lol:

I agree on worn out. From heaving the bike around I had very sore thighs and my center back felt like it would stop a bullet it was so tight. Then I was still just tired every where else, someone needs to hit the gym :o
 
Last week was a bit less of a success. Sca did some runs but seemed way off, wandering and having no focus.

Well this morning I figured it out I think. I had been feeling rough since last Friday and Sunday night he was making honking noises at 2AM. Yep had to puke up an earplug he had eaten. Well that was it for me and I was off Monday from no sleep and feeling bad. So I think it was either him being a house dog all day and/or still not 100% from earplug poisoning :rolleyes2:

He has also started to drop the ball again. I thought we made progress but he was dropping it on jump #2 all night even with me running from him (though that does make him come back faster).

The instructor did comment on how fast he is though and he is starting to catch the ball out of the box :cool:

No sign up though as I am having trouble signing up with U-Fli. I don't get the confirmation email and my provider claims it is not them. I tried to call with no success :no:
 
Back
Top