Shots for your Shelties

I am becoming more and more convinced that perhaps just to be safe I should space them apart. With that in mind, is it better to do rabies today or the other vaccs today? Which is best for optimal timing and effectiveness?

That I am really not sure about. You'll have to discuss that with your vet.

I think the rabies law for most states is the dog has to be vaccinated by 6 months old. If that is the law in Texas and Toby is 16 weeks, you can wait another month or so for rabies and do the disptemper/ parvo today.
 
That I am really not sure about. You'll have to discuss that with your vet.

I think the rabies law for most states is the dog has to be vaccinated by 6 months old. If that is the law in Texas and Toby is 16 weeks, you can wait another month or so for rabies and do the disptemper/ parvo today.

Everything I've read said to do them ALL separate.
 
I'm wrong about 6 months. It's actually 4 months... so I'm not sure. I'd definitely discuss it with your vet.

I did everything all at once when Bailey was 16 weeks. I wouldn't do that again. When she needs her booster in 3 years, I will do everything separate.
 
That I am really not sure about. You'll have to discuss that with your vet.

I think the rabies law for most states is the dog has to be vaccinated by 6 months old. If that is the law in Texas and Toby is 16 weeks, you can wait another month or so for rabies and do the disptemper/ parvo today.

I think Texas law requires puppies have the rabies by 4 months :cool:. However I just got off the phone with his breeder and they don't do rabies until 6 months. If TX law is 4 months and he is 16 weeks now, he'll still be 4 months old a few weeks :smile2:
 
Okay so other than being advised to go to another Vet :razz:, if my Vet is pushy with the rabies today, (I don't think she will be), what's my course of action? They have to abide by the law and for that matter so do I. Would a healthy compromise for Toby be to come back in a week or in the next couple of weeks?

I sincerely hope all our Q & A's are helping the lady who first posted about shots for our Shelties! :biggrin2:
 
Just tell your vet, you will come back on his 4 month birthday for rabies or a few days before. I don't think your vet will have any issues with that and since Toby is technically not 4 months yet, you are still following the law.

I think vets tend to push doing it all on the same day, because many owners are lazy and won't come back. That won't be the case with you and if your vet knows you, he'll trust you to come back.
 
vaccines

Harper Lee gets a titre for distemper every two years and for years she has had a high titre, which is to say that she does not need distemper at this time. If her results ever change, that will change. I registered her results with Cornell U.

She is up for her rabies this year, we will titre. Depending on the results we will take it from there. If as I suspect her titre is high in this category as well, I will ask for a waiver from the rabies vaccine, with an explanation.

My vet is cool with this. Also I never give a 3 year vaccine when I can get a 1 year. That is way too much vaccination at one time. Three years ago, a new vet I used gave her a 3 year vaccine, against my wishes and virtually behind my back. He is lucky that I didn't smack him. We have a new vet.

Titres should be the norm, and as I have said, if enough people request titres, the cost comes down and it's a win win across the board. It also safeguards our furkids from unecessary and over medication.

Best,
Kate
 
Last edited:
Just tell your vet, you will come back on his 4 month birthday for rabies or a few days before. I don't think your vet will have any issues with that and since Toby is technically not 4 months yet, you are still following the law.

I think vets tend to push doing it all on the same day, because many owners are lazy and won't come back. That won't be the case with you and if your vet knows you, he'll trust you to come back.

Thanks Randi....and thankfully yes they all know this momma is a good pet momma :biggrin2:.
 
My vet is cool with this. Also I never give a 3 year vaccine when I can get a 1 year. That is way too much vaccination at one time. Three years ago, a new vet I used gave her a 3 year vaccine, against my wishes and virtually behind my back. He is lucky that I didn't smack him. We have a new vet.

Uhh... they are the same shot. The only difference is the piece of paper that goes with them. If you go to KV Vet and look at the vaccines they sell, they don't differentiate between one and three year, they are all the same. Your fired vet was correct to give you a piece of paper that had three years on it.
 
Back
Top