Trying to choose a breed, help please

Small update : we are making good progress on the fence just a small section left it should be done by next Tuesday for sure. It's exciting we are getting closer. I still need to order the dog food container but was waiting for the toothpaste I wanted to come back in stock and not sure why but when it came back I waited too long and now it's out again so hopefully it will be back soon and I will order right away this time lol. I'm planning on putting the toothpaste on treats for her to chew up, I was reading suggestions and I think it was trini who said they did this. I was also reading up a bit on dog boots and was wondering if I should get some? I mostly worry about the heat and not sure if the cold will be an issue it doesn't snow so not sure if that makes a difference. Lastly are there any other little things like boots and toothpaste I should be thinking about?

On a side note I just read about the Piper situation which I think is absolutely horrible and I now understand better why to ask questions and do things you all have suggested but regardless they should be asked this just seems to make it all the more important. I didn't know people did such things as being a sketchy rescue, which seems naive now to not have thought that happens but now I know which is most helpful for present and future situations.
 
How exciting - look forward to seeing images when she comes home. :lol:

Around boots so I have no experience, but I think you should wait until you've got her home.

You'll expect that she needs time to settle in. :yes:
 
We are so close to the gate being finished! Unfortunately hubby hurt his arm working on it and wasn't up to completing it and has to go back to work tomorrow :no: I feel so bad but there's not much I can really do. As for the fence it just requires one more latch that goes into the ground to keep it securely closed (needs 2 holes drilled into the ground to do so) and 2 boards cut to size for the last little areas, and to finish being staines. I tried to help out as much as I could mostly helping stain the wood and holding gates in place while he drilled them to the post. Oh and got my food container today and toothpaste on its way. :smile2:
 
How exciting - look forward to seeing images when she comes home. :lol:

Around boots so I have no experience, but I think you should wait until you've got her home.

You'll expect that she needs time to settle in. :yes:

I can't wait to show you all more pictures! Am I supposed to wait some time before taking her on walks to let her get used to us? If so how long do I wait?
 
I can't wait to show you all more pictures! Am I supposed to wait some time before taking her on walks to let her get used to us? If so how long do I wait?

I would gage when to start walks by her comfort level with you. If she is initially very nervous or scared I would give her time to settle in and start to trust you before you venture out on road walks. But if she makes the transition to you easily and seems comfortable, then walks are fine immediately. Just make sure you have a safe collar that she can't back out of if she spooks for any reason.

Sorry your husband hurt his arm... hope it is better soon.

Trini
 
Trini have said it. :lol:

I would start as fast as you can, but take the most quiet places to start with and perhaps small trips in the beginning.

I wait anxiously. :yes::yes:
 
Thank you both for the helpful information, good to know. We just need the latch for the fence then it's finished. We almost were able to meet her/possibly bring home on Sunday but my husband can't get the day off so I told the rescue what our schedule is like in hopes we can figure out another time. They responded saying she has a urinary tract infection and is on antibiotics so won't be available until after the 26th.

Also that on the 30th of August and 1st of September wanted to know if we could make it to a different event going on. It is on a Monday/Tuesday (my husband's days off) but the drive is over 2 hours and while I have no problem traveling for our new companion my son hates car rides so I'm hesitant to take on one that is so long especially when she is supposedly an hour closer at her foster home (I say supposedly because I'm going by what her profile said). What do you guys think? Am I being ridiculous should I suck it up or is this reasonable? I don't want the dog to be miserable the whole ride home with a crying baby and I don't want my baby to be upset for so long if any of it can be avoided (I'm sure he would exhaust himself and fall asleep eventually but I really can't say how long it would be).

I just want to be clear that I by no means think Shilah isn't worth it, I would and will make the drive if needed. I fear being
put into the "if you aren't willing to make a 2 hour drive then you shouldn't have a pet" issue because I don't feel that way, if you know what I mean, I'm having a hard time putting into words what I mean so hopefully you get the idea. Anyways I just want what's best for everyone (mainly the dog and my babies).
 
The drive is over 2 hours and while I have no problem traveling for our new companion my son hates car rides so I'm hesitant to take on one that is so long especially when she is supposedly an hour closer at her foster home Am I being ridiculous should I suck it up or is this reasonable? I don't want the dog to be miserable the whole ride home with a crying baby and I don't want my baby to be upset for so long if any of it can be avoided

I just want to be clear that I by no means think Shilah isn't worth it, I would and will make the drive if needed. I fear being
put into the "if you aren't willing to make a 2 hour drive then you shouldn't have a pet" issue because I don't feel that way, if you know what I mean, I'm having a hard time putting into words what I mean so hopefully you get the idea. Anyways I just want what's best for everyone (mainly the dog and my babies).

You are NOT being ridiculous in any way shape or form! All of your concerns are justified! Shilah and your baby are first priority!!! Those are the concerns you are voicing. ANY good rescue would understand that. You are to be commended for your sensitivity to both Shilah and your baby.


When I was approved to adopt Mr Chance I was desperate to get him home. We had planned to go to Ohio from Michigan for the 4 hour drive. A friend of mine who lived in Ohio offered to drive me as I am NOT any good for long distance drives especially at that time of year - February. Sure enough as the weekend approached... Ohio was hit with the WORST snow storm in 10 years! I contacted the rescue and said I was reluctant to get on the roads since it might endanger my friend, Laddie (my sheltie) myself and Chance.

The rescue agreed and although I had to wait another week it was better for all involved! Moral of the story... YOU ARE making the correct decision! :hugs
 
Oh thank goodness, I'll admit I was worried what the responses would be but I honestly did want to know. I feel better responding to the rescue now. I think I'm going to verify where her foster parents are actually located, if they are closer and we can work something out that would be great but if not then we will make the drive and try to make it go as best we can making stops and whatnot as needed. Thanks you guys for the reassurance and kind words! :hugs

Da isy1015 I figured but was still nervous about it.

Ghggp wow yeah I wouldn't want to travel in that weather either, I would be a nervous reck the entire time which wouldn't be good for anyone. Plus it just doesn't sound safe, I'm glad the rescue was understanding of that.
 
Back
Top