When threads become too long....

Is it? I don't think so. There are a number who still want to update photos, etc. in ongoing threads. I will say again....I have no problem with that until it becomes a 3 month thread on its own. Apparently there are some that want that.

So be it, but at least there is another option. I do encourage you all to use it if it seems appropriate for what you are trying to communicate.

As much as possible, let's use the discussion forum for discussions. And lets use the other features of the forum that are available to us for the other stuff.

We are all entitled to our own opinions.

And, until a mod or admin asks me not to update my thread on my dog because it has gotten to long....I will continue to update as I see fit.
 
We are all entitled to our own opinions.

And, until a mod or admin asks me not to update my thread on my dog because it has gotten to long....I will continue to update as I see fit.

Exactly. If you want to go one about a specific cute picture you added (when the last update was mere days before), why not contain it? That way, those who are not interested can just skip along! This way, it isn't a burden on the non-premium members to only have an album. That might restrict pictures to only on-this-site things, which is a shame because there are great options out there for pics (picasa - the google thing, shutterfly, photobucket). This will also lesson the memory load on the website.
 
We all have our personal style when it comes to how we use the forum. I prefer to bring up the forum list, and proceed to open the forums that have new posts/threads. When I want to see what is in a thread, I always click on the thread title. If I've been in the that thread before, it opens automatically on the first post that I haven't read. I just don't see how the length of thread causes any particular problem, but that's just me. :cool:

I like knowing that I can check for Sca or Cranberry or Dandie or Trapp/Jasper updates in a single thread. In fact, what I find annoying (only in a minor way, and I wouldn't ever call someone out publicly about it) is someone who spams boards by starting multiple threads on related topics in a short period of time.
 
It's important to remember that we, The Sheltie Forums, have come a long way in two years! We still have some bugs to work out and among those is our astounding rate of growth...but what a great issue to have. Who knew there were so many Sheltieholics out there!

As some have said, everyone has their own way to read and participate and their own favorite thing about this board. For many of us, it's each other and the community we've formed, new and old. As part of that community, it's nice to keep up with the furkids. Kind of like the yearly letter in the Christmas card. Some read it; some don't.

Kelly, Megan and I are working on streamlining things and making them easier to find and read (no big changes, we promise...creatures of habit that we are!) but we want to get it right so bear with us -- the Forum is a work in progress, but, I think, a pretty great place just as it is.
 
It's important to remember that we, The Sheltie Forums, have come a long way in two years! We still have some bugs to work out and among those is our astounding rate of growth...but what a great issue to have. Who knew there were so many Sheltieholics out there!

As some have said, everyone has their own way to read and participate and their own favorite thing about this board. For many of us, it's each other and the community we've formed, new and old. As part of that community, it's nice to keep up with the furkids. Kind of like the yearly letter in the Christmas card. Some read it; some don't.

Kelly, Megan and I are working on streamlining things and making them easier to find and read (no big changes, we promise...creatures of habit that we are!) but we want to get it right so bear with us -- the Forum is a work in progress, but, I think, a pretty great place just as it is.

Thanks Anne.

It is a great place...and you all doing an awesome job. I sincerely thank-you for all of the time you put into this forum.
 
We all have our personal style when it comes to how we use the forum. I prefer to bring up the forum list, and proceed to open the forums that have new posts/threads. When I want to see what is in a thread, I always click on the thread title. If I've been in the that thread before, it opens automatically on the first post that I haven't read. I just don't see how the length of thread causes any particular problem, but that's just me. :cool:

.

Well, how do you do THAT!? That would make a huge difference!

I always go to new posts, click on the title. It brings me to the newest post in the thread and then I have to scroll, scroll, scroll, to find out where I left off in that thread.

Are you saying the site is smart enough to know where you left off reading a post IN THE MIDDLE OFa thread????? I can't believe that would be possible.

Anyway, at this point, let's just see what Kelly et al have come up with.

I appreciate that most responses to this thread were respectful and constructive.
 
Well, how do you do THAT!? That would make a huge difference!

I always go to new posts, click on the title. It brings me to the newest post in the thread and then I have to scroll, scroll, scroll, to find out where I left off in that thread.

Are you saying the site is smart enough to know where you left off reading a post IN THE MIDDLE OFa thread????? I can't believe that would be possible.

Anyway, at this point, let's just see what Kelly et al have come up with.

I appreciate that most responses to this thread were respectful and constructive.

I want to know how to do that as well. I always just open to the last page and then head backwards, if necessary.
 
If you enter from the new posts page ,

1. click on the title of the post
2.click on the little View First Unread label at top left corner above the first post.

It will take you right to the first new post since you were on the thread.:smile2: No need to search around.
 
Last edited:
If you enter from the new posts page ,

1. click on the title of the post
2.click on the little View First Unread label at top left corner above the first post.

It will take you right to the first new post since you were on the thread.:smile2: No need to search around.

1 doesn't work for me, but it I click the little (I mean tiny... if that were a little rectangle instead of a square, it would be great!!) blue square with the "v" or check symbol thing it brings me to the last read post. It's great! And the blue/orange coloring to indicate that is nice too.

Is there a code for the envelopes? I have no clue what those mean...
 
Back
Top