Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Brooke - not good news

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Sharon7, Apr 6, 2019.

1. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Sharon, I am so sorry Brooke has just been through such a rough time...and for you I know these ups and downs are totally draining emotionally. Prayers that Brooke feels better...and many hugs to you and your special little gal.

Trini

Sharon7 likes this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I'm so sorry for all you are going through. But I have to tell you, by being strong you are giving her day after day of happiness with you. She loves you, you love her, and so long as she is not in distress, she wants to live and enjoy her time with you. Some would give up. You are allowing her precious days. It's not easy at all. I am sorry for your tears, shedding a few for you and her right now. I've said goodbye to many friends over the years and it just rips me up to think of your heart right now. For some odd reason, I thought of you and Brooke in the middle of n aisle in Trader Joe's and had to come home and look for an update.

Sharon7 likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Sharon, I'm sorry you and Brooke had such a tough night. This is a real roller coaster for you, but Brooke probably doesn't realize she's had a bad time. I bet you are suffering more. I so hope she continues to act normal and you have more time with your precious girl. Sending you many hugs.

Caro and Sharon7 like this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

How are you and Brooke doing?

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    She had another bleed on Sunday. Her gums were pale and she was retracting her abdomen with her breathing - that was the symptoms the first time back in January. Last Thursday it was pale gums and tachycardia (fast heart rate). I caught it right away and administered another dose of the emergency pill. I spent another night without much sleep, but she was better in the morning, and downright perky today. I just got home from my softball game and she was barking and tail-wagging. This is a very strange disease.

We are going to restrict her physical activity at least for a while. I think she was too active after Thursday's bleed and the clot didn't hold. That's my assumption anyway. She is not cleaning up her food dish, either - we have to coax and/or hand feed her about half of her kibble. :( She will eventually eat it, though. I don't think she's nauseous, maybe the pressure from the tumor?

6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

wow...that herbal pill you are using is a great thing! You are so observant to catch this both times...
    she might not be hungry; that happens when they aren't feeling well. Doesn't mean she doesn't love you and isn't happy to see you :)

It must be exhausting always being so vigilant. I hope you get a break and the attacks take a vacation.

Sharon7, Sandy in CT and ghggp like this.
  7. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Sharon, prayers and hugs for you and Brooke. This is such a hard journey to be on.
    Trini

Sharon7, Sandy in CT and ghggp like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sharon, poor sweet Brooke must not be aware of how ill she really is by the sounds of her being so perky after her setback. The pill must be a Godsend at this time.
    Not eating is the absolute worst. Hand feeding sometimes is our only recourse to get them to eat. I have been giving my old cat Figi water and it has really helped to get additional minerals into him. He seems brighter ... anyway - just a long shot to see if that helps her in any way. Knowing the road you are on saddens me. But, you are so in tune to her and her needs that quick reactions on your part help her to manage her illness... Soft pats to Brooke and hugs to you!

Sharon7 and Sandy in CT like this.
  9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Sending you hugs and love, Sharon. I know how hard this is, and the toll that constant watching takes on you. Take care of yourself and give Brooke a pat for me. :hugs

Sandy in CT likes this.
  10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Thank you everyone. Had to hand feed breakfast again. I did give her an acid blocker this morning to see if that will help. She's perky enough, though, and stool is normal. She is laying with me right now. All my 21 years as a nurse has me always observant, just comes with the territory. It can be exhausting though. If she's still OK energy wise, we will go to Nosework tonight. At least I KNOW she will eat her Happy Howie meat treats there.

I know realistically that time is short now. Just trying to manage.

Sandy in CT, Hanne, Ann and 1 other person like this.