Brooke - not good news

Brooke was a bit tentative at Nosework last night, but she did fairly well (wind was howling again).. Luckily our instructor is very observant and kind and made it easy and fun for her. Her own dog died of the same cancer so she is thrilled for us that Brooke has been doing as well as she has for over 3 months now.

On the food front, I am so happy to report that she ate a half a big can of dog food this morning with a lot more enthusiasm. The vet that is in our class said the cancer is now making her not feel right, especially since the liver is affected. I know in people with liver problems food can taste like s**t. I don't mind feeding her whatever she will eat at this point.

She is laying close by in the hallway, raises her head to look around, doesn't seem to be in pain. We will take her for a nice stroller ride this evening when my hubby gets home.
 
It seems she is having small bleeds more frequently. We are lucky to catch them right away as they have not been overnight events. Poor dear is now on an acid blocker, antihistimine for her allergic cough, the Chinese meds, and an anti-nausea med. Luckily she is tolerating all of that. My kitchen counter looks like a pharmacy. It's a beautiful morning and I'm going to get her out in the stroller soon.

We switched her to canned food and she is eating that up, so yay. I struggled with Ally for 6 months at every mealtime to get her to eat, fixing different things, etc. and the trauma has stayed with me. It puts my stomach in knots when they won't eat, because we all know what chow hounds Shelties are.

Got a good face wash this morning though - she really is such a trooper. I know if she's got energy to lick my face vigorously that all is well.
 
I agree with you about eating, Sharon. That's always been my big red flag, especially with a dog who gobbled their food for years. I'm so glad to hear that Brooke is enjoying the canned food, and she's still grooming you! Enjoy the walk and remember, one day at a time. Sending you hugs.
 
I agree with you about eating, Sharon. That's always been my big red flag, especially with a dog who gobbled their food for years. I'm so glad to hear that Brooke is enjoying the canned food, and she's still grooming you! Enjoy the walk and remember, one day at a time. Sending you hugs.

Well said Ann, you took the words and thoughts out of my mind!

I swear, it just makes you wonder... how can they provide compassion by licking you... knowing you are in need of it!
Shelties are the most sensitive breed I know.
Brooke personifies it! Virtual hugs Sharon! :hugs
 
Back
Top