Brooke - not good news

how is brooke doing? We are having a heat wave here so Gavin is pretty tired most of the day....
 
She had another bleed yesterday - luckily, again, I was home and took one look at her, looked at her gums - very pale, and then got the medicine into her. She was very down for about an hour. It's scary because I don't know if she's coming back, every time this happens. But sure enough a couple hours later she was up and about, and a couple more hours and she chowed down her dinner. It is quite a gut punch every time but I've learned not to count her out. She's one tough cookie.

As the tumor grows I fear this will happen more and more often. But I got a good facewash from her just a little bit ago. :)

Nosework tonight - she seems energetic enough.
 
Another rough night. The bleeds seem to be about every 3 days now. The red "emergency" pill has been working but seems to give her bad diarrhea the next day. Well, this time it was 4:30 AM. Went to check on her and smelled the tell tale sign. She had also vomited. Her abdomen is distended from the tumor and probably some blood from oozing. Got her cleaned up and put her on the bed between us where she rested quietly, and I laid there crying.

Got some anti nausea meds into her, then tried a bit of food a few hours later, she only wanted a few Cheerios and Charlie bears. No to cottage cheese and dog food. I will try to scramble an egg later. I am not so concerned about her missing a meal or two, she is in decent weight still. My biggest indicators that it's serious is if her heart rate skyrockets (I have a stethoscope from my nursing career) or she is retracting her abdomen - those are the bad signs and she's not doing that. She is resting nearby me right now.

I hope I am not wearing everyone out with my posts. It just helps to get it out a bit. Pretty isolated just staying home all the time with her, but my girlfriends are dropping by to visit while hubby is at work. It's all worth it. I will do whatever I can to have her extend her time with us IF it is quality time. No real suffering is allowed. Thanks to you all for listening.
 
Last edited:
You are giving Brooke the best end of life care anyone could....
And providing doggie hospice is just as consuming as it is for people.
I understand the isolation, but it is worth it to have NO regrets about missing time with your baby.
I do worry about depression (you and me, both!) but I know Brooke (and Gavin) is worth it :)
 
I am so sorry that things are happening so fast and so close together. When you are dealing with a pet illness, it is exhausting and mentally straining because you are their caregiver and their voice. Brooke is loved and you are giving her the best care possible at this point. Enjoy every second. She is so lucky to be so loved.

Try and take care of yourself as well. Part of that are your posts as you are letting feelings out. No one is tired of your posts. Saying a prayer for peace for both of you.
 
yes, keep posting.
I am up to 31 pages, and it totally helps.
It is a written record/journal of progress and events. I have had to go back through posts many times to remember when and how things happened.
 
Back
Top