Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Chronic tummy problems

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Caro, Nov 26, 2018.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh Caro, my hearts is just sinking reading that poor Deska has cancer. I too, like Cindy, wish I could be there in person to hug and comfort you. Know how much we all care and love you. Deska does not understand how sick he is. I know you will cherish every second with him. Virtual hugs. Our hearts go out to you at this heartbreaking time.

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Took him to the dog club with me, he was happy to have a potter around after assessment. He's panting a lot and pretty exhausted - i forgot to get pain relief.

The CT will give me a more definitive answer about whether it's worth operating - taking out his spleen and gallbladder. The vet today took a biopsy today to see if it's a metastasis (and therefore not worth treating). However, because the spleen bleeds a lot she could only take a small one. She (his usual vet) thinks it is unlikely to be treatable and I need to be ready to say goodbye. She even wanted to know whether to take the biopsy or end his life then. Of course not! We have lots more cuddles to fit in, people to say goodbye to, places to watch the sunset, cuddles and more cuddles

I don't understand how 6 weeks ago he came back with a perfect abdominal ultrasound and perfect bloods. It's so much so quickly.

Here he is, my darling beautiful boy. My soulmate. Now it's time to sit on the couch with him and have a cuddle.
    Sad Mr D.jpg

RikyR, Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Love to you and Deska. I’m sorry to read this and you are in my thoughts. Much love to your sweet boy.

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Btw - depending on outcome of CT he may go straight into surgery. Apparently it's very risky surgery so even if it's a little better news, there's still a risk he won't pull through. So think of us when you go to bed tonight.

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    We certainly will be thinking of both of you! You are absolutely in our thoughts and prayers!

I know how blindsided you are. When I lost Logan I felt the same way. Six months prior to his decline his blood work was fine. Then everything went down hill in just a couple of months. Several people said the same to me. Just let him go. I just couldn’t until I exhausted every option available to us.

You have to do what is best for you both. No matter what... you are doing the right thing to offer as many cuddles and kisses to him.
    These dear ones become our soul mates. Nothing can be more rewarding than to have them in our lives.

Virtual hugs...

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    OH no Caro! I am so very sorry to hear that Deska has cancer...poor Deska and my heart truly breaks for you! You and Deska will be in my thoughts and prayers!:hugs

7. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Caro, my heart is breaking for you and Deska. I can't believe I'm reading this. Will keep him in my thoughts. Love, hugs and kisses for Deska!

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Now we're back to some uncertainty. Only saw surgeon today, he will consult with internist. Probably re do bloods, another ultrasound to check gallbladder and CT (contrast CT if his liver holds up). He said its unusual to have spleen and gallbladder and liver, it's usually one or the other. He also said if it wasn't for the spleen he'd go Shetie-senior-gallbladder.

So internist does the u/s so have to wait for an opening with him, then CT is sent to US vet radiologist for review. If it's too dire I'll found out this arvo, otherwise it will be the weekend.

My poor baby was shaking so badly, and I could hear him howling from the back room - he really doesn't want to leave his mumma. I think that's why I'm intent on doing all this - I know if Mr D was asked he'd say do anything so I can be with my mum.

Am taking in dinner for him later - they usually feed chicken which he can't have.

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

poor Mr D misses him mamma...
    and his mamma misses him.

Gavin will get extra hugs tonite even is he doesn't want them!

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Awwww...poor Mr.D!
    Like you Cindy, I also gave Riley lots of hugs and scratches tonight when I came home. They love us so and don't understand when they hurt or are sick. They just want us to be close to them.